Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Docked Doberman breeders

• 04-08-2014 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I am currently looking for a Doberman pup for the family home. I'm only home after 8 months of travellin and have recently discovered the new tail docking laws in Ireland.
    Maybe it's just a case of getting used to but I would just like to know does anybody have any info on any Irish Doberman breeders who still dock tails or is this a dead end?
    I am totally against animal cruelty and love animals, but they are like a completely different breed with long whip - like tails. Never seen an issue with it as long as it was performed by a registered vet..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

It is illegal to carry out tail docking for aesthetic purposes, so unless you are going to actively seek out a disreputable breeder? A very bad idea.... and as I said, illegal.

Why is it so difficult to see a dog with a natural tail?

If you really want a docked Doberman, why not look into rehoming one - if you look for example on 'Dobermans for Adoption in Ireland Facebook' page, many of them are docked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

It is illegal now in Ireland and any breede still doing it should be avoided at all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Gazzler

I didn't realise it was such a serious issue in Ireland that they would bring in a total ban on tail docking.

Like I said it problably just takes getting used to. Just seeing Doberman pups with long tails now as opposed to growing up with them having none before is strange to see.

Thanks for the replies, I don't think I'll venture down the road of dodgey breeders for the sake of a tail..I just wanted to know was there a complete ban even on vets performing tail docking across Ireland.
    It looks as do tail docking will now be a 'black market' job in Ireland, and that's certainly not worth the risk or hassle by the sounds of it..cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Gazzler

Oh yeah and I did look into rescuing Doberman and have seen that Facebook page, but the fact there are young kids in the family I think it's better to get a pup and rare it with the family and around children...as much as I would like to rehome a dog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

A friend of mine has a boxer whose tail got infected after a dodgy dock job, half of her little stump is completely bald now.

Understandable that you would prefer to have a pup raised in your home.

You could perhaps look into Doberman breeders in Northern Ireland as docking is allowed if it is done by a vet surgeon.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

VonVix wrote: »
    You could perhaps look into Doberman breeders in Northern Ireland as docking is allowed if it is done by a vet surgeon.

Docking is only allowed in all UK jurisdictions if the pup is destined to be a working (hunting) dog (therefore only certain breeds are potentially eligible), or for medical reasons (eg dislocated tail), and the procedure must be carried out by a vet only. It cannot be done for aesthetic reasons.
    A Dobermann breeder would have some job convincing a vet that their pups are destined to be hunting dogs.
    People in the UK have been prosecuted for being in posession of docked dogs that weren't old enough to have pre-dated their legislation, and which could not be explained away by being a working breed which was actually working.
    By extension, the vet(s) who docked such dogs leave themselves wide open by performing illegal dockings.

Edited to add:
    Northern Irish legislation on tail docking:
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/nia/2011/16/section/6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

DBB wrote: »
    Docking is only allowed in all UK jurisdictions if the pup is destined to be a working (hunting) dog (therefore only certain breeds are potentially eligible), or for medical reasons (eg dislocated tail), and the procedure must be carried out by a vet only. It cannot be done for aesthetic reasons.
    A Dobermann breeder would have some job convincing a vet that their pups are destined to be hunting dogs.
    People in the UK have been prosecuted for being in posession of docked dogs that weren't old enough to have pre-dated their legislation, and which could not be explained away by being a working breed which was actually working.
    By extension, the vet(s) who docked such dogs leave themselves wide open by performing illegal dockings.

Thought it was different for different parts of the UK? Such as in Scotland it's completely banned (with the exception of emergencies, etc.) and in England/Wales it's like you said, they have to be proven working dogs and in Northern Ireland it's allowed if done by a vet?

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

VonVix wrote: »
    Thought it was different for different parts of the UK? Such as in Scotland it's completely banned (with the exception of emergencies, etc.) and in England/Wales it's like you said, they have to be proven working dogs and in Northern Ireland it's allowed if done by a vet?

See link above to Welfare of Animals (Northern Ireland) Act 2011
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

just back from spain last Saturday and I saw for the the first time in my life an undocked dobermann I really cant explain why but I thought he looked brilliant

just a thought how will it effect those that show their dogs will docked be competing against undocked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

jimf wrote: »
    just back from spain last Saturday and I saw for the the first time in my life an undocked dobermann I really cant explain why but I thought he looked brilliant

just a thought how will it effect those that show their dogs will docked be competing against undocked

No effect for showing. I have the top winning Italian Spinone in Ireland for last year & he is current top winner for this year. He has his full tail. He shows against both docked & undocked dogs. I am showing over 18 years & he is my first undocked dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

thanks for your reply knine I was just wondering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

jimf wrote: »
    thanks for your reply knine I was just wondering

Also when judging the long tail can exaggerate any croup/tail set faults. They are more noticeable.

Advertisement