Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Home Brewing save me money

Options
  • 04-08-2014 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks

Just one quick and I hope simple question :)

I've been following the thread for a while and I understand the "how to" pretty much.

I like a drink, especially Guiness, Bass bitter, Fullers ESB / Winter Warmer / Bitter, Speckled Hen ...

Now will getting all this kit actually save me money. If its a one hit wonder then its an expensive outlay and means that I have to eat it for a little while from SWIMBO, whereas ....

Thanks for your comments / advice ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Maphisto wrote: »
    Hi Folks

Just one quick and I hope simple question :)

I've been following the thread for a while and I understand the "how to" pretty much.

I like a drink, especially Guiness, Bass bitter, Fullers ESB / Winter Warmer / Bitter, Speckled Hen ...

Now will getting all this kit actually save me money. If its a one hit wonder then its an expensive outlay and means that I have to eat it for a little while from SWIMBO, whereas ....

Thanks for your comments / advice ;)

You could always minimise your outlay by buying the kit on adverts...cough...my ads...cough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

stimpson wrote: »
    You could always minimise your outlay by buying the kit on adverts...cough...my ads...cough.

Thanks Stimps and you're getting rid of it why?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Maphisto wrote: »
    Thanks Stimps and you're getting rid of it why?

I don't have the time anymore with two young kids and I need the garage space. I did some lovely brews though. I still have some of my 2011 vintage cider and it's crystal clear and very tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The savings to be made depend on the brewing you do.
    If you buy a kit beer, this is the most expensive recurring cost,
    Malt extract is cheaper but needs a kettle
    (Lower recurring cost, extra capital cost)

All grain has a much lower ingredient cost,
    And I mash in a bag I had made for €15 in my kettle

Given the beer you drink, you should be able to save on cost by brewing your own, compared to trying to make a lager to rival those sold below/at cost in shops

The cost completely ignores the value of your time, where all grain needs lots of time, kit is quick

Min kit I'd reccomend
    Fermenter
    Bottling bucket & wand
    Capper
    Siphon
    20litre pot for the boil
    Hydrometer- I successfully brewed 5 brews before I got mine(beginners luck maybe)
    Thermometer-for mashing or steeping grains and when to pitch yeast (I had a digital one for checking roast meat and deep frying oil)

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

What tends to happen when you get to the 'recurring value' part of the brewing process is that you tend to brew more, usually way more than you can safely drink.

So you are essentially brewing for other people, competitions and the like, rather than exclusively to replace shop bought purchases.

Once you are brewing more, you tend to want more dependable equipment, gear that cuts out labour, or kegging options, so as you go on you tend to make more capital investments.

You can make beer for shockingly cheap. I have a wheat beer, of which I bottled 43 x 500ml, for which the total cost to me was about £8. It is quite a strong beer at 6%, and tastes a cracker. Thats a great beer for 18p a bottle. I could have easily made it weaker, or made more with the same ingredients.

However it is quite tricky to reproduce commercial beers. It takes a lot of skill, and control of a lot of variables (which can only come with more capital outlay). So you end up not fully replacing your store bought purchases.

If you are making simple wines, it is possible to be self sufficient with those, as you dont need brewing equipment. However making them as nice as commercial wines is tricky. Every beer I make now is dependably drinkable, but only every other wine is worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

Thanks for the helpful replies folks you've given me a fair amount to think about.

Advertisement