Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircom fibre for direct to exchange news?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

Just to be clear, eircom can never move a customer from one cabinet to a closer one or is that only for those connected to the exchange?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Manc Red wrote: »
    Just to be clear, eircom can never move a customer from one cabinet to a closer one or is that only for those connected to the exchange?

They arent doing it, but its not technically impossible. It may be something they do in future, or you might just have to wait for FTTH with whatever you've got from the copper lottery.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭mailsanchu

ED E wrote: »
    They arent doing it, but its not technically impossible. It may be something they do in future, or you might just have to wait for FTTH with whatever you've got from the copper lottery.

I can see many exchanges turned blue(WIP) for evdsl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

Me too mine now reads building commenced completion work in progress , nothing for a year and boom its being done ?? or is it not must use the url api call jobbie.

Weird when i look up now after the Exchange going blue i see :-

{"aaa":"2903064","xbc":true,"xec":true,"xfc":false,"xrc":false,"inga":false,"ingb":true,"maxNGB":"17M_768K_RH","maxNGBServiceCode":"BMBS24M","phone":"xxx-xxxxx","validationType":"phone","completed":true,"partialAddresses":[],"isRedCustomer":false,"ina":false}

Where as before it was :-
    {"aaa":"2883166","xbc":true,"xec":true,"xfc":false,"xrc":false,"inga":false,"ingb":false,"maxDSL":"4M_384K_RHL","maxDSLServiceCode":"IPRAPID","phone":"xxx-xxxx","validationType":"phone","completed":true,"partialAddresses":[],"isRedCustomer":false,"ina":false}

im on MRMA (Hoping MRM1_E01 is actually me) in macroom DF line and my max speed is 17MB stable .

so some stuff has changed for me, after exchange went blue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭ClonNGB

Clonakilty direct fed also gone blue. I dare to hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭BuzzG

Same for our local exchange, can it really be for real :eek:

They are toying with our minds again !

Stupid question to ask but I presume when they install a fibre cab in the exchange the exchange then also becomes uncontented. Is that a correct?

BuzzG wrote: »
    Stupid question to ask but I presume when they install a fibre cab in the exchange the exchange then also becomes uncontented. Is that a correct?

They dont actually put in a cabinet, more rack, but the same OLTs that feed that rack will also make the exchange "Next Generation" and thus uncontended. I'd say a lot of the time thisll happen a little while before the VDSL is actually comissioned. Existing NGB exchange wont see any change though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

yuloni wrote: »
    Replace "xxx-xxxxxxx" in the URL below with your area code and phone number. Load the page and then reload the page for all the results. It's simply a URL to query one of eircom's pre-qual databases

https://www.eircom.net/prequalWidget/rest/ardaddresslook/phone-rsp/xxx-xxxxxxx/broadband/true

More info: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057262696&page=22

What does "maxHSI" and "max NRA" mean when the test results are shown i.e. What do they stand for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

This has to be a load of old ****e this many exchanges going blue all at once, Maybe they are sitting in eircom house laughing they're nads off at all the poor DF users. Its not possible , but then i hear others are being pulled possible rack gear is being moved around for whatever reasons ? Have not had the chance to run a KN guy off the road just yet and ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

dbit wrote: »
    This has to be a load of old ****e this many exchanges going blue all at once...

Perhaps they got the all clear from Comreg about whichever other supplier was objecting and providing the holdup for the exchange rollout. I read in another post there was issues but I can't find it now...

Or pehaps their wholesale website map updater was away for a few wks and had a bit of catching up to do... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Hopefully so. My exchange is still orange but KLE1_E01 has gone blue and a few weeks ago an eircom tech told me that there was nothing in the pipeline for that exchange or my one.

Its like a ghost town outside the macroom exchange checked yesterday on my way home . One lines man lives a few doors down he always has a fiber cable spool hanging of the back of his van. Must go frigthen the **** out of him with boards L33t speak .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

don't get your hopes up - my exchange went green a month ago, I still can't get fibre (a few numbers close to the exchange seem to be enabled now, but nothing on my street).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

It'll be interesting to see what the real world speeds are on this.

It's not going to be as fast as cabinet-based VDSL, that's for certain.

Even though the local direct fed exchange in Clonakilty is blue when I contacted them I got the usual blurb " I have checked that for you and unfortunately I do not have a time frame for your house. But we can offer you our standard broadband (with speed up to 24Mb) and we will upgrade you for free once eFibre is available." Looks like another false dawn for me :(

ClonNGB wrote: »
    Even though the local direct fed exchange in Clonakilty is blue when I contacted them I got the usual blurb " I have checked that for you and unfortunately I do not have a time frame for your house. But we can offer you our standard broadband (with speed up to 24Mb) and we will upgrade you for free once eFibre is available." Looks like another false dawn for me :(

You wont prequal until after its comissioned and open for orders, need to be patient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭MediaHaul

My local exchange went green about a month ago and I am Fibre enabled.

My ADSL is 16 down / 1 up, and when I checked for fibre both eircom and sky have told me I can get max 12 down.

Infuriating given I am 2 min walk from the exchange connection point from my house.

The response I got when I questioned this from eircom was "this can happen and we have no future plans to upgrade this".

Sky laughed and came back apologising at how ridiculous it was and that they wouldn't feel right to offer me fibre as it would be worse for me. (I am with Sky).

I am surrounded by cabinets too at even closer proximity in a built up area.

I cry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

MediaHaul wrote: »

My ADSL is 16 down / 1 up, and when I checked for fibre both eircom and sky have told me I can get max 12 down.

Infuriating given I am 2 min walk from the exchange connection point from my house.

The response I got when I questioned this from eircom was "this can happen and we have no future plans to upgrade this".

Sky laughed and came back apologising at how ridiculous it was and that they wouldn't feel right to offer me fibre as it would be worse for me. (I am with Sky).

I cry.

I would swap with you any day. 1MB download speed here.

I was in Iraq during the war in 2008 and had better feckin internet !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

MediaHaul,

If it was me, I'd still order the "VDSL", I've seen it a few times where the "expected speed" is wrong. The upload speed could be vastly better as well than your current 1m/bit.

At work we get 18down and 2up on an adsl connection. It's barely enough speed though for the number of users on it. I'm 160 metres from the exchange in one of Dublin's biggest industrial estates. So I'm hopeful we'll get something decent this year.

Media have you mapped the distance by road? A 16Mb sync would suggest you're just shy of 2000m of a loop. If thats accurate grand, but if its not you might have a fault thats slowing you down and throwing the result.

Media have you mapped the distance by road? A 16Mb sync would suggest you're just shy of 2000m of a loop. If thats accurate grand, but if its not you might have a fault thats slowing you down and throwing the result.

I am 1.1km in a car and 225 metres on foot (cut through housing estate.

This could be my issue then? I live is a cul de sac.

Praetorian wrote: »
    MediaHaul,

If it was me, I'd still order the "VDSL", I've seen it a few times where the "expected speed" is wrong. The upload speed could be vastly better as well than your current 1m/bit.

At work we get 18down and 2up on an adsl connection. It's barely enough speed though for the number of users on it. I'm 160 metres from the exchange in one of Dublin's biggest industrial estates. So I'm hopeful we'll get something decent this year.

I thought this too but Sky said it was unlikely to be higher than that.

Its a pickle to be honest.

Look at you current modems sync infos SNr attenuation copy paste and save it .

Get steel wool or some abrasive and a screw driver , remove the plates for the phone socket ( Rj11) and one wire at a time so you can replace and not mess it up as you go - remove and clean if all brown and green tarnish exists then possible oxidation is screwing up the signal. clean and bring to a nice shine any parts that interconnect ( Extenders, secondary lines piggy backing) remove all digital phones from sockets, remove splitters and adsl filters.

Then test that modem page with and without the adsl filter see if you have reduced line noise/SNR and attenuation values ?

The page of your modem will tell you then if you have made any impact . DECT phones can be responsible for bad SNR and ATTn. also i have seen skyboxes and various other home stuff causing this .

the reason i suggest this is that your in a heavily populated area and it would seem unlikely to me that you are 2000 m from your termination point. It does worry me that you have been told "its like that and that's the way it is " ( Run DMC).

even if you have extensions running around the house try un hitching them from main point noting the termination as you go ( Or the area its jacked into in the socket so you can reconnect after tests later). I have seen disused extensions do this lying under carpet in the upstairs that has had a nick or chunk knocked into the pair of wires causing feedback noise as they touch or cross.

I am 1.1km in a car and 225 metres on foot (cut through housing estate.

This could be my issue then? I live is a cul de sac.

Cable probably takes a roundabout route or is spooled somewhere. Round up to say 1500m.

Non vectored VDSL on our annex(17A) maxes out at 1500-1700m so 12_1 makes sense.

It could be a correct rating, but when they get NLV going that could well jump to ~20Mb or so, with like 4Mb US (iirc).

Read your down attenuation figure off the current modem to give an accurate idea of cable length.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I cry.
    Could you give some more details about the story? If you were fibre-enabled and near a cabinet, you'd be getting much more than 12 or 16 Mbit. How far are you from your nearest cabinet?

• Advertisement

Praetorian wrote: »
    MediaHaul,

I used to get 20 down and 1 up when I was 500 metres from the Merrion exchange as the crow flies! You should be getting over 20 at least, not that it probably makes much difference. A good router and QoS settings can make a world of difference too but that's off-topic.

Could you give some more details about the story? If you were fibre-enabled and near a cabinet, you'd be getting much more than 12 or 16 Mbit. How far are you from your nearest cabinet?

As ED E mentioned it could be that although I am very close to the exchange (walking), it is a roundabout route to drive.

There are no more details other than I have been chasing both eircom and sky about it and neither can say anything more than the max I'll get it 12 down and thats on the upgraded exchange.

I am thinking of just going for the change and hoping for the best, but having spoken to a few support reps and checked all my connections and settings its currently at the best its going to be.

My router is my own Netgear one (not the sky hub with doesn't have gigabit ethernet ports) and they both give the same speeds.

I have no other devices on any of the phone ports around the house.

It may be a case that the line is old as **** and getting fibre will improve the connection on my end. Though, I have never had any issues and have had the same line for 10+ years untouched.

As ED E mentioned it could be that although I am very close to the exchange (walking), it is a roundabout route to drive.

There are no more details other than I have been chasing both eircom and sky about it and neither can say anything more than the max I'll get it 12 down and thats on the upgraded exchange.

I am thinking of just going for the change and hoping for the best, but having spoken to a few support reps and checked all my connections and settings its currently at the best its going to be.

My router is my own Netgear one (not the sky hub with doesn't have gigabit ethernet ports) and they both give the same speeds.

I have no other devices on any of the phone ports around the house.

It may be a case that the line is old as **** and getting fibre will improve the connection on my end. Though, I have never had any issues and have had the same line for 10+ years untouched.

Under stood that you have no devices on the extended runs from main point , but do you know for sure that the runs are damage free and not inducing line noise ?

Under stood that you have no devices on the extended runs from main point , but do you know for sure that the runs are damage free and not inducing line noise ?

I have no idea to be honest. I'm no electrician so I wouldn't know where to start with wiring. This is why I am thinking of changing to fibre so an actual technician can get a look when re-wiring for the new faceplate.

its easy every wire only uses 2 connections per run . for sockets/sockets its the two inner most pins in the middle , to test the runs that go from the primary box unhitch them take pictures or write notes on the disconnecting stage so the putting it back is just reversing what you have done . I have seen in my own house (rented) a similar problem where the upstairs run that was unused had a nasty knock in it and bare copper exposed. Removed run and my attenuation and SNR improved.

its easy every wire only uses 2 connections per run . for sockets/sockets its the two inner most pins in the middle , to test the runs that go from the primary box unhitch them take pictures or write notes on the disconnecting stage so the putting it back is just reversing what you have done . I have seen in my own house (rented) a similar problem where the upstairs run that was unused had a nasty knock in it and bare copper exposed. Removed run and my attenuation and SNR improved.

Thanks dbit, I will take a look when at home and see how I get on.

In terms of the engineers changing the socket from adsl to vdsl, is it a big job? Wondering how long it'll take sky to make the change for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

They are working on the exchange in my area right now to enable it for fibre what's the max distance it would work at .. And what kind of speeds would I expect at 440-450M from the exchange ?

Thanks dbit, I will take a look when at home and see how I get on.

In terms of the engineers changing the socket from adsl to vdsl, is it a big job? Wondering how long it'll take sky to make the change for me.

they only change the face plate to a new one and possibly pear back the wires to expose fresh shiny copper then re-terminate. Nothing out of the ordinary will happen unless they give you a new drop ( Line from pole or cab) they dont change much that is already there. taking those steps may prove fruitful then again may not . Its worth the effort if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ROS123

{"aaa":"752068","xbc":true,"xec":true,"xfc":false,"xrc":false,"inga":false,"ingb":true,"maxNGB":"20M_768K_RH","maxNGBServiceCode":"BMBS24M","phone":"045-525xxx","validationType":"phone","completed":true,"partialAddresses":[],"isRedCustomer":false,"ina":false}

Can I ask a supplementary question please. The above suggests speed of 20mb and 24mb but I am only getting 6-8 mb. Someone mentioned profile to me?

ROS123 wrote: »
    {"aaa":"752068","xbc":true,"xec":true,"xfc":false,"xrc":false,"inga":false,"ingb":true,"maxNGB":"20M_768K_RH","maxNGBServiceCode":"BMBS24M","phone":"045-525xxx","validationType":"phone","completed":true,"partialAddresses":[],"isRedCustomer":false,"ina":false}

Can I ask a supplementary question please. The above suggests speed of 20mb and 24mb but I am only getting 6-8 mb. Someone mentioned profile to me?

Is your DSL mode on ITU G.992.5 (ADSL2PLUS)?

Are you on an 8mb package? The packages are 8, 12 and 24.

Posting the actual line stats from your modem would be far more telling here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ROS123

Are you on an 8mb package? The packages are 8, 12 and 24.

Posting the actual line stats from your modem would be far more telling here.

Where do I get the line stats Please

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭kenny111

anybody know how long it takes for an exchange to be declared live once commencement works starts?

Where do I get the line stats Please

From the modem. Its different accross devices so google for instructions eg "vodafone hg658 login".

You're looking for attenuation and signal to noise ratio, along with the sync rate (speed itself).

http://community.eircom.net/t5/Service-Updates-and/Planned-maintenance-to-internal-Broadband-support-Systems-over/m-p/90495#M280

They usually never announce maintenance updates and it's taking a few days so I wonder what this update is for...

EDIT:

Vodafone and Magnet line checkers are also down so this must be a big update to the system.

Magnet error:
    CHECK AVAILABILITY
    Your line speed and the services available for the line could not be determined.

Your search has not been successful because of the following reason:

Response was of unexpected text/html ContentType. Incoming portion of HTML stream:
    Found
    The document has moved here.

kenny111 wrote: »
    anybody know how long it takes for an exchange to be declared live once commencement works starts?

Any body has answer for this question please ?

mailsanchu wrote: »
    Any body has answer for this question please ?

There isn't a set time. You cant predict it.

There isn't a set time. You cant predict it.

My local eircom engineer told me the exchange is technically ready for evdsl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

I see on the wholesale map a lot of exchanges have gone blue for the summer, they must have got over the problem after?

Manc Red wrote: »
    http://community.eircom.net/t5/Servi...m-p/90495#M280

They usually never announce maintenance updates and it's taking a few days so I wonder what this update is for...

EDIT:

Vodafone and Magnet line checkers are also down so this must be a big update to the system.

Magnet error:
    I'm not able to open the URL: Page not found is displayed

Planned maintenance to internal Broadband support Systems over Weekend - April 24th -
    Options
    yesterday

To our customers

We would like to advise our customers of the following planned work over this weekend.

We are carrying out essential updates to our broadband availability system over this weekend which will mean restricted access to some of our internal Broadband support systems.

This means that agents will be unable to check broadband availability for you.

This work has been scheduled from 19:00 on Friday 24th April and should be completed over the weekend.

Full service should be resumed by Monday morning.

We apologise for this disruption in service and any convenience caused and thank you for your patience.

If you have any queries on this, or any other issue please feel free to post us, contact us on Twitter @eircom or call us on 1901. You can also chat with one of our online Chat agents at www.eircom.ie/chatnow

eircom Customer Care

• Advertisement
Advertisement