Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircom fibre for direct to exchange news?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭redmond08

I'm from Wicklow Town and my parents we're getting a line into their house for broadband. They ain't connected straight to the exchange, but I am, so I decided to ask your man when will the exchange be upgraded, he said it's all done. I sent a email to eircom saying I heard the exchange is ready and I got the same crap that they have on their website, we have a solution to people connected to the exchange and hope to have it sorted soon etc etc. I get 20mbps download and 2mbps upload, roughly what increase of speed would I get when I finally get it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Eircom treat their paying customers like fools.

Stay well clear they have taken money off my credit card without my permission nearly €500.

I have rang, emailed and sent a letter 3 months ago to be diconnected as their service is terrible.

I have emailed complaints department to be never contacted back.

Been put on priority list and no change still no contact.

Stay clear of eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭mailsanchu

From one of the top eircom executives

EVDSL is approved for launch of ~50% of premises which will be enabled over the next 6 months or so. The remaining ~50% is still being discussed at regulatory level so is not approved.

Unfortunatly, we have no sight of customers in either scenario until they are flagged for enablement so the only information we have at this point is when exchanges are enabled.

On the positive side, I am now confident that all customers served by eVDSL (and if physically within the available distance from the exchange to be served by eVDSL) will be enabled over the next 6 - 8 months. Many will be enabled over the coming months so keep in contact with the sales area to confirm your own situation. If you are an existing eircom customer you will be contacted once your exchange becomes enabled and service is available.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

mailsanchu wrote: »
    EVDSL is approved for launch of ~50% of premises which will be enabled over the next 6 months or so. The remaining ~50% is still being discussed at regulatory level so is not approved.

While I have no inside information with this, I guess that EVDSL is getting the good ahead from the exchanges with no pre-existing LLU services.

I expect it is been held up by one of the LLU operators at exchanges where LLU exist and EVDSL might interfere with LLU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Again I would love to know who is to blame for these delays. Name and shame them! Or pm me and I'll do it!

Praetorian wrote: »
    Again I would love to know who is to blame for these delays. Name and shame them! Or pm me and I'll do it!

People say it is either BT or sky . but there is no 100% certainty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

People say it is either BT or sky . but there is no 100% certainty

Well thats 2 of 3 possibilities, so not really any info at all.

COMREG have private and public submission processes, all this will be done privately and we'll probably never know officially who was objecting.

ED E wrote: »
    Well thats 2 of 3 possibilities, so not really any info at all.

COMREG have private and public submission processes, all this will be done privately and we'll probably never know officially who was objecting.

we are a small minority here. so our voices are not reaching the correct people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,752 ✭✭✭degsie

we are a small minority here. so our voices are not reaching the correct people

Time to ring Joe D so....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I didn't think Sky were using their own LLU equipment, thought they were using BT's footprint for LLU.

Looking at it from the other point of view, if there is a possibility of interference caused by eVDSL2, then that's a very understandable concern. There are businesses served by SDSL leased lines from BT's equipment and I wouldn't like my SLA jeapordised because of some other operator's tech. (I'm not saying this is actually a risk but there must be some technical reason for another operator opposing it, beyond losing market share).

Also, I have family on a long line served by LLU. Much too far away from the cabinet too. They have limited speeds as it is without something else adding extra interference/crosstalk.

Anyway I'm sure a solution can be found to the satisfaction of everybody, it's frustrating that it's taking so long to find complete agreement...

I didn't think Sky were using their own LLU equipment, thought they were using BT's footprint for LLU.

Looking at it from the other point of view, if there is a possibility of interference caused by eVDSL2, then that's a very understandable concern. There are businesses served by SDSL leased lines from BT's equipment and I wouldn't like my SLA jeapordised because of some other operator's tech. (I'm not saying this is actually a risk but there must be some technical reason for another operator opposing it, beyond losing market share).

Also, I have family on a long line served by LLU. Much too far away from the cabinet too. They have limited speeds as it is without something else adding extra interference/crosstalk.

Anyway I'm sure a solution can be found to the satisfaction of everybody, it's frustrating that it's taking so long to find complete agreement...

Skys entire network here is BT equipment except the bits they have to buy from eircom.

The issue is vectoring. It doesnt work if you LLU as the DSLAMs are totally independent. So eircom will want to only allow VDSL on their side of the MDF, but then that puts LLU operators out of business. On the other hand if you dont vector your neuter the user end speeds significantly.

Considering there is and never will be LLU for FTTC I'd be of the opinion that COMREG should make an executive decision to go ahead with eircom only VDSL in the exchange for the benefit of the consumer while we await FTTH which anyone can resell.

Skys entire network here is BT equipment except the bits they have to buy from eircom.

The issue is vectoring. It doesnt work if you LLU as the DSLAMs are totally independent. So eircom will want to only allow VDSL on their side of the MDF, but then that puts LLU operators out of business. On the other hand if you dont vector your neuter the user end speeds significantly.

Considering there is and never will be LLU for FTTC I'd be of the opinion that COMREG should make an executive decision to go ahead with eircom only VDSL in the exchange for the benefit of the consumer while we await FTTH which anyone can resell.
    Thanks for the clarification. With vectoring right now, the only ADSL crosstalk comes from DSLAMs in exchanges 1 or 2 or 3 kilometres away. If ADSL2 and VDSL2 equipment are operating together, will that affect the performance of vectoring much? I presume the existing LLU equipment in exchanges is ADSL2+ capable only?

Read here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

Read here.

I knew this exchange based would run lower freqs thus lower speeds when considering reach. The profile Eircom have opted for has got room for improvement and the standards seem to be prepped with this in mind.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

There are businesses served by SDSL leased lines from BT's equipment and I wouldn't like my SLA jeapordised because of some other operator's tech.

Don't know why any business would opt to stay on SDSL, if VDSL2 was available to them. VDSL2 outperforms SDSL speeds, so really no need for SDSL anymore.

I wonder if Node Level Vectoring would help reduce the issues. Reading a little about Huawei's NLV, it seems to imply that it will work with other xDSL technology in a Mixed Service operator exchange.

Though really BT needs to get with the times and perhaps launch their own VDSL LLU DSLAMS in their exchanges, working closely with Eircom Wholesale to ensure vectoring works between them via NLV.

BT previously talked about doing LLU VDSL, but seem to have gone quiet about this. It seems everyone was caught off guard at how quickly and effectively Eircom wholesale rolled out FTTC VDSL.

Having said that, I would be concerned if VDSL effects the performance of long reach ADSL2+ lines. It seems VDSL doesn't perform the same as ADSL2+ over long distances, so ADSL2+ will remain important for the next few years until those further out are connected to FTTH via the NBP or re-routed to closer VDSL cabs.

Actually that is one thing about Eircoms FTTC rollout that I hadn't thought of.

It not only allows them compete better with UPC, but perhaps more importantly to Eircom it allowed them compete much more effectively against BT LLU. The FTTC cabs allows Eircom win back a massive number of LLU lines connected to these cabs from BT. I mean who is going to stay on 24mb/s ADSL2+ if they have 100Mb/s VDSL available to them?

BT couldn't do much to block the FTTC cabs, as they don't directly interfere with BT's services. It was completely outside the exchange.

However BT can fight them launching eVDSL in exchanges where they are present, due to possible interference. Allowing them to at least keep some of their LLU customers.

Though that will only work for BT in the short term. BT will be stuffed when Eircom starts rolling out FTTH from these exchanges, which BT would have no ability to stop or block.

BT is going to have to decide what it's future looks like soon. They are going to have to decide to invest in their own LLU VDSL and FTTH project or step back further and just become a backhaul provider. I expect they will do the latter. I can't see them heavily investing in last mile FTTC/FTTH, not with the new aggressive Eircom, UPC firing on all cylinders and a new powerful player in the ESB.

Actually now that I think of it, I'm surprised BT Ireland didn't try harder to become the ESB's partner network for their rollout of FTTH!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,502 ✭✭✭✭guil

Does anyone know if CUR1_E01 is one of those exchanges with LLU or how would you find out?

Great post BK , i would think yes they will fall back to the latter also . I thought they had thrown in the towel long ago and did not realize they had so much llu's and install base . Possibly the direct fed deploy has been changed to work around BT installed exchanges and the spate of blue DF exchanges could be a pull back and re-target exchanges with no BT . I have scanned practically all fo macroom we have voda sky and eircom no sign of BT anywhere , im hoping im right on this. ( Work around implied by some people reporting the build was blue or in planning and is now gone)

dbit wrote: »
    Great post BK , i would think yes they will fall back to the latter also . I thought they had thrown in the towel long ago and did not realize they had so much llu's and install base . Possibly the direct fed deploy has been changed to work around BT installed exchanges and the spate of blue DF exchanges could be a pull back and re-target exchanges with no BT . I have scanned practically all fo macroom we have voda sky and eircom no sign of BT anywhere , im hoping im right on this. ( Work around implied by some people reporting the build was blue or in planning and is now gone)

According to the BT Ireland website, they say they have nearly 100 exchanges with LLU gear. While there are well over 1000 exchanges in Ireland, most are small and rural. I'd expect BT's 100 exchange are the 100 biggest ones and likely covers close to 2/3rds of the population of Ireland.

So I expect they are mostly exchanges in the cities and most rural exchanges can thus benefit from EVDSL.

BTW BT Ireland don't sell directly to customers any more. Vodafone and Sky mostly use and sell BT's LLU product where available and use Eircom everywhere else. Of course with Eircom VDSL, I expect Vodafone and Sky are directly reselling Eircom VDSL more and more now, however they could still be using BT for backhaul.

• Advertisement

bk wrote: »
    It not only allows them compete better with UPC, but perhaps more importantly to Eircom it allowed them compete much more effectively against BT LLU. The FTTC cabs allows Eircom win back a massive number of LLU lines connected to these cabs from BT. I mean who is going to stay on 24mb/s ADSL2+ if they have 100Mb/s VDSL available to them?
    I've been making that point a couple of times in this forum. It suits BT down to the ground to continue using their own LLU equipment that they've had there for over ten years in some cases.

I've no personal opinion on using S(H)DSL but they still have such customers on their LLU DSLAMs so they probably want their existing, lucrative contracts maintained for as long as possible without any disruption.
    Having said that, I would be concerned if VDSL effects the performance of long reach ADSL2+ lines. It seems VDSL doesn't perform the same as ADSL2+ over long distances, so ADSL2+ will remain important for the next few years until those further out are connected to FTTH via the NBP or re-routed to closer VDSL cabs.
    It's uncommon that an LLU ADSL2+ customer was unable to be moved over to a VDSL2 cab by now for reasons of being 2.2 km from the cab and 2.5 km from exchange, for example. Though there are probably small numbers in that exact situation. The longer lines are probably served with ADSL2 (G.992.3) if the modem in my family's house is accurate. But that's just a technicality. There's not that many customers on LLU at >5 km lengths I'm guessing.

More importantly in the case of Tullyallen, presumably the LLU operators in Drogheda have objected to transferring those long lines to the existing Tullyallen cabinet and exchange. And eircom don't seem bothered to provide a Drogheda-based cabinet in the village. This has led to a huge injustice being done on dozens of properties in the village with people only able to 1 to 2 mbit connections while their neighbours will almost without exception get the full 100 Mbit connection when enabled.

Regarding the link ED E posted, the first half of it has some problems with its info. The table of maximum speeds for ADSLx products is simply wrong and there's no explanation from the second graph of an important thing highlighted with VDSL2 - echo cancellation and trellis coding. Presumably this and especially lower dBm/Hz values for VDSL (similar total power spread over a much wider bandwidth) (see part 3.8 of http://www.aicit.org/IJACT/ppl/2.pdf) mean that VDSL2 would underperform compared to ADSL2 at longer distances. A special power spectrum density mask could be hypothetically created for VDSL2 below 2.2 MHz but I don't know if this exists yet or if ComReg would ever allow it. If possible, this could make the efibre cabinet rollout more useful for longer lines.

Echo canceler boards can they not improve your points on echo cancellation and trellis coding ?

Echo canceler boards can they not improve your points on echo cancellation and trellis coding ?
    I don't quite follow this. Do you mean eircom should be deploying these features with their VDSL2 rollout? I know they have g.inp switched on and I think trellis coding but there are instances of people on lower VDSL than ADSL speeds anyway. I'm guessing a combination of the higher noise margin employed on VDSL and I *think* much lower power spectral density for the 25 to 2208 kHz with VDSL profile 17a is what explains the problems with using current efibre service over 2km. But I haven't looked at the CFLMP document yet and perhaps ED E could elaborate further on that point?

According to the BT Ireland website, they say they have nearly 100 exchanges with LLU gear. While there are well over 1000 exchanges in Ireland, most are small and rural. I'd expect BT's 100 exchange are the 100 biggest ones and likely covers close to 2/3rds of the population of Ireland.

So I expect they are mostly exchanges in the cities and most rural exchanges can thus benefit from EVDSL.

BTW BT Ireland don't sell directly to customers any more. Vodafone and Sky mostly use and sell BT's LLU product where available and use Eircom everywhere else. Of course with Eircom VDSL, I expect Vodafone and Sky are directly reselling Eircom VDSL more and more now, however they could still be using BT for backhaul.

Yes and possible proof of that is the locations that have gone blue recently non heavy populated exchanges .

I don't quite follow this. Do you mean eircom should be deploying these features with their VDSL2 rollout? I know they have g.inp switched on and I think trellis coding but there are instances of people on lower VDSL than ADSL speeds anyway. I'm guessing a combination of the higher noise margin employed on VDSL and I *think* much lower power spectral density for the 25 to 2208 kHz with VDSL profile 17a is what explains the problems with using current efibre service over 2km. But I haven't looked at the CFLMP document yet and perhaps ED E could elaborate further on that point?

I am confusing myself here echo canceler Boards are in the back of my head from the older pstn networks . Forget I said that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Hackery

Actually that is one thing about Eircoms FTTC rollout that I hadn't thought of.

BT couldn't do much to block the FTTC cabs, as they don't directly interfere with BT's services. It was completely outside the exchange.

However BT can fight them launching eVDSL in exchanges where they are present, due to possible interference. Allowing them to at least keep some of their LLU customers.

Though that will only work for BT in the short term. BT will be stuffed when Eircom starts rolling out FTTH from these exchanges, which BT would have no ability to stop or block.

BT is going to have to decide what it's future looks like soon. They are going to have to decide to invest in their own LLU VDSL and FTTH project or step back further and just become a backhaul provider. I expect they will do the latter. I can't see them heavily investing in last mile FTTC/FTTH, not with the new aggressive Eircom, UPC firing on all cylinders and a new powerful player in the ESB.

Actually now that I think of it, I'm surprised BT Ireland didn't try harder to become the ESB's partner network for their rollout of FTTH!

You hit the nail on the head with that post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Nolars wrote: »

Hmmmm on wholesale still says building in macroom exchange .............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Nolars wrote: »

There still seems to be a few blank areas on that map ... and my village is still down as sometime next year. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

yuloni wrote: »

Exactly it. You dont see LLU in rural areas.

Large exchanges, lots of cabs, hit 40% live easily.
    Small exchanges, no LLU, eVDSL installed and running in a day, easy.
    Medium exchanges, not many cabs but have LLU, no EVDSL but not many cabs, cant make the 40% threshold easily.

Medium exchanges, not many cabs but have LLU, no EVDSL but not many cabs, cant make the 40% threshold easily.

Air Fist pump , Groin thrust , another Fist pump . Say it with me now RURAL oh yeaaahh ! , finally lucked out with something in this godforsaken country .

yuloni wrote: »

My village's exchange has Fibre run to it, it is most definitely not LLU but it is down for Jan-Jun 2016.

Mind you there are only 166 (current) active telephone lines in it presently (my local linesman gave me that tidbit). That would certainly shoot up a small bit if it got eVDSL, but probably not enough to justify an earlier install. :(

Air Fist pump , Groin thrust , another Fist pump . Say it with me now RURAL oh yeaaahh ! , finally lucked out with something in this godforsaken country .

If you had decent broadband you should start your own Youtube channel and video these rather than writing about them. ;)

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    My village's exchange has Fibre run to it, it is most definitely not LLU but it is down for Jan-Jun 2016.

Mind you there are only 166 (current) active telephone lines in it presently (my local linesman gave me that tidbit). That would certainly shoot up a small bit if it got eVDSL, but probably not enough to justify an earlier install. :(

If there are 166 lines now you'll probably find at least a third are PSTN only, and 50% of the remaining lines probably run further than 1700m. Not worth the DSLAM Rack unit only to populate it with 80 ports worth of cards. You'll be low low priority.

If there are 166 lines now you'll probably find at least a third are PSTN only, and 50% of the remaining lines probably run further than 1700m. Not worth the DSLAM Rack unit only to populate it with 80 ports worth of cards. You'll be low low priority.

:(:(:(:(:(
    <sniff>
    Nobody loves us country folk!!!
    :P

This doesn't quite make sense to me, mathematically. The small exchanges scenario does but I don't get the distinction between medium and large exchanges. If one exchange has 3000 lines and what, 18 cabinets, it should have a roughly similar proportion of direct-to-exchange lines as another exchange with 10,000 lines and 50 to 55 cabinets.

I would have thought the number of lines directly served by exchanges was more based on historical and local reasons, such as perhaps a "large" urban area which had an exchange and widespread phone line takeup before the P&T brought in cabinets or there was not much space for overground cabinets, like with Crown Alley and to a certain extent North Main exchanges in Dublin. According to the eircom wholesale website, Crown Alley is "live" with 4070 lines able to get VDSL2 but this has to be less than 40% of lines as it's got one of the largest number of phone lines in the country. Summerhill and Beggar's Bush have larger numbers of enabled lines even though Crown Alley serves more phone lines.

This doesn't quite make sense to me, mathematically. The small exchanges scenario does but I don't get the distinction between medium and large exchanges. If one exchange has 3000 lines and what, 18 cabinets, it should have a roughly similar proportion of direct-to-exchange lines as another exchange with 10,000 lines and 50 to 55 cabinets.

I would have thought the number of lines directly served by exchanges was more based on historical and local reasons, such as perhaps a "large" urban area which had an exchange and widespread phone line takeup before the P&T brought in cabinets or there was not much space for overground cabinets, like with Crown Alley and to a certain extent North Main exchanges in Dublin. According to the eircom wholesale website, Crown Alley is "live" with 4070 lines able to get VDSL2 but this has to be less than 40% of lines as it's got one of the largest number of phone lines in the country. Summerhill and Beggar's Bush have larger numbers of enabled lines even though Crown Alley serves more phone lines.

But Third parties looking to LLU would opt for heavier populated exchanges thats the driving factor in this speculation. ?No ?

The point is where is likely to be LLU, but it was a generalization.

CRA is a great example of the DF situation. A good 1000+ of the lines there are likely DF, possibly a lot more. But the building itself is pretty small, mostly offices from the look of it. There wouldnt be much floor space for MDF + AXES + DSLAMS + RSUs + OLTs + Aggregation as is, never mind LLU operator gear too.

Of 900+ DSL exchanges only 100(think thats the figure?) have LLU. Its likely these are only medium to large exchanges. The really big exchanges are jammers Id say (remember these are the back rooms of old post offices. Its the more modern suburban exchanges that are most likely to have the room to accommodate LLU so my guess is thats where you'll see it most. eg Bray, large "Suburban" exchange, no marker for EVDSL.

But again, generalization, each exchange has its own legacy setup and constraints.

• Advertisement

when the wip exchanges becomes green then all the lines connected to the exchange will be able to get evdsl ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

when the wip exchanges becomes green then all the lines connected to the exchange will be able to get evdsl ?

If they are shorter than 1800m which is the distance limit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

I'm not 100% on how its done with VDSL, must see if Huawei have a doc. When they install a VDSL cab its cross jumpered the couple feet over to the copper cab with a pair for each line in that cab. If they all order VDSL theyre all jumpered onto VDSL ports with a DSL filter on the back to wipe out the ADSL signal (which is later nuked at the exchange). Before that install happens though, the DSLAM has to be able to read the line to rate it, and theyre done regularly so its not a manual task.

The result of the test is an attenuation figure. For ADSL thats avg dAttenuation across 2.2Mhz, for VDSL its the same for 17Mhz. With ADSL they also have the POTS line results to indicate loop length but I dunno if thats used.

The profiles are picked by the ISP as far as I know. So they could arrange to configure the DSLAMs with a lower option. But 7_1 is rate adaptive so technically its 0_0 to 7_1. Really if you're lower than 15_3 you shouldnt order VDSL. Its like those 8km ADSL lines, they CAN work but in most cases are prone to constant problems as you're really pushing the tech too far.

What we might see isntead of lower profiles is cab launched ADSL. Theres room for the cards in a riser if they wanted to do it and COMREG allowed it. In rural areas using cabs as remote ADSL service units could make a big impact.

What we might see isntead of lower profiles is cab launched ADSL. Theres room for the cards in a riser if they wanted to do it and COMREG allowed it. In rural areas using cabs as remote ADSL service units could make a big impact.

It is funny you should just write this, as I just made a similar point over on the other thread.

Eircom actually has an economic incentive to enable ADSL and voice from the cab. If they move all services to the cab, then they can decommission the copper between the cab and exchange and sell it. They can get as much as 50% of the cost of putting the cab in place by just selling of this copper, never mind the reduction in opex.

I'm not 100% on how its done with VDSL, must see if Huawei have a doc. When they install a VDSL cab its cross jumpered the couple feet over to the copper cab with a pair for each line in that cab. If they all order VDSL theyre all jumpered onto VDSL ports with a DSL filter on the back to wipe out the ADSL signal (which is later nuked at the exchange). Before that install happens though, the DSLAM has to be able to read the line to rate it, and theyre done regularly so its not a manual task.

The result of the test is an attenuation figure. For ADSL thats avg dAttenuation across 2.2Mhz, for VDSL its the same for 17Mhz. With ADSL they also have the POTS line results to indicate loop length but I dunno if thats used.

The profiles are picked by the ISP as far as I know. So they could arrange to configure the DSLAMs with a lower option. But 7_1 is rate adaptive so technically its 0_0 to 7_1. Really if you're lower than 15_3 you shouldnt order VDSL. Its like those 8km ADSL lines, they CAN work but in most cases are prone to constant problems as you're really pushing the tech too far.
    (Lives miles from civilization)

I think they have done this in a few spots already , months back a young lad i know from ( Xbox live) poured his heart out to me about his 3 mb connection , calling eircom he asked for more speed , they told him they could take him to maybe 6-7 MB for an extra fee ( Dirt bags) , I told him to call them back and say vodafone where at his door ( Which they were not) telling him he could get upgraded slightly with them for same price , weeks later eircom called him back to say that he can now access up to 24MB NGA ( He gets 17MMB now), Wexford dewller and weird to see such a jump.

• Advertisement

Is it certain that the WIP exchanges (turned blue ) got approval for evdsl from comreg ?

weeks later eircom called him back to say that he can now access up to 24MB NGA ( He gets 17MMB now), Wexford dewller and weird to see such a jump.

We've heard that here on boards a few times before, either:

1) Eircom upgraded his exchange to ADSL2+ and thus upgraded him to it.
    2) The exchange had a mix of ADSL and ADSL2+ and Eircom were too lazy leaving him on the ADSL ports. It could also have been that all the ADSL2+ ports were already full. One of the benefits of people moving over to VDSL2+ is that it should free up more ADSL2+ ports.

Just reading about the Huawei FTTC cab that Eircom is using. It seems it supports not only ADSL2+, but also PSTN, SHDSL, even ISDN!

However it isn't clear if this means the VDSL2+ ISAM can also do ADSL2+ with a flick of a switch or if it requires separate ADSL2+ DSLAM cards and if they have been installed up front or not.

If the former, then I think it would be a no brainer for Eircom to enable voice and ADSL2+ from the cabs and then decommission the copper. Would go a long way to pay for the VDSL rollout.

This would be a big benefit for people more then 2km from a cab but even further from the exchange, they would see an obvious nice boost in performance.

Obviously the LLU operators would object, but for the rest of the country without LLU, then it is a no brainer.

I can also understand why it hasn't happened yet. I'm sure Eircom are currently rightly focused on the VDSL rollout, once they have that complete, they may turn their attention to this decommissioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Akenny010

The exchanged I'm connected to has finally turned blue & says

ETY1_E01

Fibre Build commenced - completion work is in progress

Any idea how long this process takes & how long it should take to get an estimated date? Thanks

Akenny010 wrote: »
    The exchanged I'm connected to has finally turned blue & says

ETY1_E01

Fibre Build commenced - completion work is in progress

Any idea how long this process takes & how long it should take to get an estimated date? Thanks

Answered several times already. No way to know.
    Just reading about the Huawei FTTC cab that Eircom is using. It seems it supports not only ADSL2+, but also PSTN, SHDSL, even ISDN!

However it isn't clear if this means the VDSL2+ ISAM can also do ADSL2+ with a flick of a switch or if it requires separate ADSL2+ DSLAM cards and if they have been installed up front or not.

If the former, then I think it would be a no brainer for Eircom to enable voice and ADSL2+ from the cabs and then decommission the copper. Would go a long way to pay for the VDSL rollout.

This would be a big benefit for people more then 2km from a cab but even further from the exchange, they would see an obvious nice boost in performance.

Obviously the LLU operators would object, but for the rest of the country without LLU, then it is a no brainer.

I can also understand why it hasn't happened yet. I'm sure Eircom are currently rightly focused on the VDSL rollout, once they have that complete, they may turn their attention to this decommissioning.

To move both PSTN(ISDN) and ADSL into the cab would be a fair bit of work. Even within the same MSAN would require a lot of cards. The larger alcatel cabs used in the trial probably had space, but I doubt the risers could accommodate that much. Theyd have to be able to completely relocate every pair in order to decommission the main cable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement