Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircom fibre for direct to exchange news?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭mailsanchu

dbit wrote: »
    My name ?

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

They couldn't handle me, so they opted to ban me, almost a year ago roughly 2 weeks after i signed up to discover i was direct fed.
    Needless to say i let loose but never used language nor did i slander or slur anyone . They banned me as i was causing too much noise on the topic , so sweep it under the carpet as per usual.

I asked why and they said i was warned , i asked for proof and they produced none and just stated "mods decision is final."

ITs why I hate Eircom so very much , how they behave with customer base is a disgrace nothing new here we all know this.

Had they have told me BT were the cause to all of this i would have accepted that explanation , but none was given , just a basic go away you cant have fiber attitude.

They couldn't handle me, so they opted to ban me, almost a year ago roughly 2 weeks after i signed up to discover i was direct fed.
    Needless to say i let loose but never used language nor did i slander or slur anyone . They banned me as i was causing too much noise on the topic , so sweep it under the carpet as per usual.

I asked why and they said i was warned , i asked for proof and they produced none and just stated "mods decision is final."

ITs why I hate Eircom so very much , how they behave with customer base is a disgrace nothing new here we all know this.

That is not a correct way.

Had they have told me BT were the cause to all of this i would have accepted that explanation , but none was given , just a basic go away you cant have fiber attitude.

I am having few issues with Eircom too because i am connected directly to exchange

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

mailsanchu wrote: »
    I am having few issues with Eircom too because i am connected directly to exchange

As has been said 100 times, this isn't eircoms fault. Its Comreg and BT/Vodafone/Sky.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    As has been said 100 times, this isn't eircoms fault. Its Comreg and BT/Vodafone/Sky.

I fully understand that .. But eircom network is not very good like UPC.

And one more thing eircom never told me i am connected to exchange and i found out that information through internet. I asked eircom many times and they always told me a copy paste answer. They are very secretive about their rollout

Its more likely the people on the front line dont understand what DF is.

But yeah, transit wise all the DSL providers seem inferior to UPC, though their ops guys have botched things before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

I fully understand that .. But eircom network is not very good like UPC.

And one more thing eircom never told me i am connected to exchange and i found out that information through internet. I asked eircom many times and they always told me a copy paste answer. They are very secretive about their rollout

What? Not sure what Upc have to do with this thread. When have UPC come out and announced their plans or future rollouts? Upc have a good network in cherry picked high population density areas, they are not looking to enhance that or expand. Of course Eircom are not going to talk about an issue they are dealing with Comreg on

What? Not sure what Upc have to do with this thread. When have UPC come out and announced their plans or future rollouts? Upc have a good network in cherry picked high population density areas, they are not looking to enhance that or expand. Of course Eircom are not going to talk about an issue they are dealing with Comreg on

I am angry because i had to find out that information from the internet. Eircom could have told me the situation. I asked many times why i cant efibre. I cant get upc and i heard from my friends that they get the offered download speeds. With eircom i am paying for 24Mbps and i never got more than 13.

I am angry because i had to find out that information from the internet. Eircom could have told me the situation. I asked many times why i cant efibre. I cant get upc and i heard from my friends that they get the offered download speeds. With eircom i am paying for 24Mbps and i never got more than 13.

You are dealing with sales staff, the answer is they have no idea why you can't get efibre or how long it will take before you can, besides they will be told not to discuss anything outside the sales script in front of them. Did you ask Upc how long it will be before they can provide you a service? Only 13mbit, we have 7 and get about 1 in the evenings. You are paying for up to 24mbit ;)

• Advertisement

I fully understand this ED E its the way its been handled, and the coverage map caused me to move to where i am now Stuck in the Darkness. Its my experience with Eircom professionally over the last 10-20 years that has formed my opinion bolstered by the privatization and horrid business acumen that has led Eircom to where it is now. Its lack of training of front line is not really our fault is it ?

I still Fart in Eircoms General direction and jump with joy that I am 1 month toward end of contract.

I agree 100% with that. UPC are not the only isp guilty of this and we well know it. More honesty in delivery would be a great place to be in . Regulators and current issues in hand of course I understand sensitivity is in play . Eircom have time after time failed to look professional from where i stand. That always illusive Eircom Tantric Engineers appointment, where we sit there all day and no one comes.

Short lived rejoicing , still banned . Useless bunch of tits . dying to disconnect from this Sh1thole ISP.

Looking at the Eircom support forums that i am banned from , they are now giving customers more info on the DF situation , advising the exchange name unit number and if scheduled date is fed back from api call they advise that too. Still the mass of Blue icons for building in progress is again a load of sh1t .I have tested alot of numbers around cork area and those that come back with a date are fine but more are there with no date , again another bullsh1t move by DarkCom/SuffocationCom/Eircom .

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Off topic, but UPC continue to quietly expand and rollout their services in their existing footprint and also continue to do in-fill work within their footprint.

For instance just two weeks ago they announced that they have upgraded Donabate, Ratoath, Ashbourne and Lusk to support 240Mb/s DOCSIS 3.0, Horizon, etc.

http://www.upc.ie/about-us/press/2015/upc-brings-advanced-new-digital-services/

Also internationally you will find lots of information about UPC's parent companies (Liberty Global) plans for expansion and rolling out new technology, e.g. DOCSIS 3.1

I agree that they aren't expanding as aggressively as Eircom, but they service very well their existing footprint.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I'd imagine a lot of exchanges will be brought forward and "January-June 2016" is another way of saying "not yet, but soon".

Eircom currently have planned:
    ~80 exchanges planned for May
    ~30 exchanges planned for June
    ~80 exchanges planned for July
    3 for August/September
    2 for October/November/December

If they work for the rate they plan to at for the next 3 months they should get most of the rollout, if not all, done before the end of the year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I think a lot of people were disappointed that UPC have not tackled areas that were never cabled up. They have the know how, the buying capacity and the financial backing. VDSL and other new products will erode UPC's customer base if they don't expand. Arguably they would have been a better partner for ESB than Vodafone are. It feels like they are only doing in-fill work now and the odd new development. It's pretty disappointing from my perspective. But I'm delighted Eircom have been forced into a FTTH rollout and at least we do have the "evolve" on the way.

bk wrote: »
    Off topic, but UPC continue to quietly expand and rollout their services in their existing footprint and also continue to do in-fill work within their footprint.

For instance just two weeks ago they announced that they have upgraded Donabate, Ratoath, Ashbourne and Lusk to support 240Mb/s DOCSIS 3.0, Horizon, etc.

http://www.upc.ie/about-us/press/2015/upc-brings-advanced-new-digital-services/

Also internationally you will find lots of information about UPC's parent companies (Liberty Global) plans for expansion and rolling out new technology, e.g. DOCSIS 3.1

I agree that they aren't expanding as aggressively as Eircom, but they service very well their existing footprint.

They are also the easiest service, to clone or attack . Whored out community string still exists . With all the wonders of 3.1 you would think they would secure the platform.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Praetorian wrote: »
    I think a lot of people were disappointed that UPC have not tackled areas that were never cabled up. They have the know how, the buying capacity and the financial backing. VDSL and other new products will erode UPC's customer base if they don't expand. Arguably they would have been a better partner for ESB than Vodafone are. It feels like they are only doing in-fill work now and the odd new development. It's pretty disappointing from my perspective. But I'm delighted Eircom have been forced into a FTTH rollout and at least we do have the "evolve" on the way.

Virgin Media, UPC's sibling in the UK, has recently announced a massive expansion to service an additional 4 million homes.

I get the impression that UPC might have done the same here, but the rollout of FTTH by ESB/VF knocks that on it's head.

Up until now UPC have been focused on doing much needed upgrade work to it's existing network to make it all DOCSIS 3.0 compatible.

And this work still isn't finished, they still have some areas that haven't been upgraded. It would make no sense for UPC to expand into new areas when they still haven't upgraded all of their existing network. It is typically much easier to get people you already have a relationship with (e.g. TV) to upgrade to Broadband + phone, then it is to move into completely new areas.

I think UPC has only now gotten to a stage in their upgrade project where it is starting to come to an end and they would start to think about expanding into new areas, like Virgin are now starting to do in the UK. But as I said earlier, ESB/VF FTTH has blocked that pretty significantly.

You are right, it might have well been in UPC's interest to partner with ESB on their FTTH project, it seems like an almost perfect fit. I guess Vodafones big stack of money in the bank made the difference.

I think UPC will instead focus on it's existing network footprint. Upgrade to faster DOCSIS 3.0 and 3.1 with speeds closer to 1Gb/s. Try and get more people in these areas to sign up to attractive UPC packages from Eircom. Rollout a mobile network and become a significant quad play company. Focus on making the most of their existing footprint, rather then expanding.

The danger with this is if Eircom starts to do FTTH in UPC areas and starts to win back UPC customers. Eventually UPC may have to look at becoming a FTTH network itself.

Of course then there is the possibility of Vodafone buying UPC as has been rumoured in the past. That could change things significantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

Anyone experiencing difficulty with prequal widget below:-

https://www.eircom.net/prequalWidget/rest/ardaddresslook/phone-rsp/xx-xxxxxxx/broadband/true

It does not appear to be working at the moment...or is it just me!!!!:confused:

Hibrasil wrote: »
    Anyone experiencing difficulty with prequal widget below:-

https://www.eircom.net/prequalWidget/rest/ardaddresslook/phone-rsp/xx-xxxxxxx/broadband/true

It does not appear to be working at the moment...or is it just me!!!!:confused:

Failing here too not just you .

• Advertisement

Seems to been working agian as of yesterday , but then today i get this result ?

{"aaa":"2903064","error":"SERVER_ERROR","xbc":false,"xec":false,"xfc":false,"xrc":false,"inga":false,"ingb":false,"phase":"NGA_DONUT","phone":"xxx-xxxx","validationType":"phone","completed":true,"partialAddresses":[],"isRedCustomer":true,"ina":false}

NGA_Donut ? is something happening or is the server Borked ? Im hoping SERVER_ERROR is just a knock back from editing under way lolz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Seems to been working agian as of yesterday , but then today i get this result ?

{"aaa":"2903064","error":"SERVER_ERROR","xbc":false,"xec":false,"xfc":false,"xrc":false,"inga":false,"ingb":false,"phase":"NGA_DONUT","phone":"xxx-xxxx","validationType":"phone","completed":true,"partialAddresses":[],"isRedCustomer":true,"ina":false}

NGA_Donut ? is something happening or is the server Borked ? Im hoping SERVER_ERROR is just a knock back from editing under way lolz
    That is the result I've been getting for ages. Think it's something to do with Vodafone removing the dial tone from the line. Happens with me and my mothers number. Also the only time I've seen that isRedCustomer:true as well

guil wrote: »
    That is the result I've been getting for ages. Think it's something to do with Vodafone removing the dial tone from the line. Happens with me and my mothers number. Also the only time I've seen that isRedCustomer:true as well

Ye i was just reading back over the older posts with you and others chattering on that subject , I am not vodafone nor was i ever vodafone though.

NGA_Donut got me all fizzy in my pants for a mo.

Red customer i think is = pissed off beyond reprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

It's strange cos I'm adsl2 but my Ma is vdsl and both say the bit about red and donut.

Lolz jesus eircom make up yer minds , now its back to {"aaa":"NNNNNN","xbc":true,"xec":true,"xfc":false,"xrc":false,"inga":false,"ingb":true,"maxNGB":"17M_768K_RH","maxNGBServiceCode":"BMBS24M","phone":"xxx-xxxxx","validationType":"phone","completed":true,"partialAddresses":[],"isRedCustomer":false,"ina":false}

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I had an engineer call out to me to tell me Eircom have bad congestion on their network and there was no plan to fix it.
    While he was here he told me fibre from Nenagh exchange is all setup and ready to go but not available yet.
    He also told me Eircom use vdsl up to 2.5km, first I heard of vdsl being usful at that range.

tuxy wrote: »
    I had an engineer call out to me to tell me Eircom have bad congestion on their network and there was no plan to fix it.
    While he was here he told me fibre from Nenagh exchange is all setup and ready to go but not available yet.
    He also told me Eircom use vdsl up to 2.5km, first I heard of vdsl being usful at that range.

There are exchanges all over the country set up and ready to go but are waiting on Comreg.
    It's 2km from the cab, but after 1800m you are better off on ADSL. It's only 1700m from the exchange if it's eVDSL.

• Advertisement

There are exchanges all over the country set up and ready to go but are waiting on Comreg.
    It's 2km from the cab, but after 1800m you are better off on ADSL. It's only 1700m from the exchange if it's eVDSL.

correct. My local exchange is also ready to go

That's a bit of crazy made up reporting, Westport exchange is one of the trials and has had eVDSL since last summer

That's a bit of crazy made up reporting, Westport exchange is one of the trials and has had eVDSL since last summer

It is better to get some article on evdsl. I dont mind the town mentioned

Have to wonder if its really about degredation when they're already rolling it out, and more about BT losing 100% of their market share :pac:

You would think Eircom engineers would know this.

You would think Eircom engineers would know this.

They're only required to know this if they are working on eFibre, most of those techs left with Eircom are working on line faults, installs are all done by KN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

... most of those techs left with Eircom are working on line faults, installs are all done by KN

Actually KN are doing line faults too. They had a van outside my neighbours earlier this week working on the line (there's no new installs going on here).

The 360 strong recruitment drive over the next two years is likely a move to reverse that. Outsourcing isn't always king.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

That's a sweeping statement, that couldn't be true in every situation. For instance, what if the cabinet was a couple of km or more away from the exchange??

That's a sweeping statement, that couldn't be true in every situation. For instance, what if the cabinet was a couple of km or more away from the exchange??

It is true in all cases do far, cabinets are in urban areas with exchanges usually fitted with ADSL2+ up to 24mbit, after 1800m on VDSL the profile would be 7/1

It is true in all cases do far, cabinets are in urban areas with exchanges usually fitted with ADSL2+ up to 24mbit, after 1800m on VDSL the profile would be 7/1

Nope.

Lucers right here. Take people living just south of Maynooth, 4km loop to the exchange (far north of town), 1800m from the cab, could well manage 12_1 after vectoring vs 3-4Mb ADSL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

That makes no sense as a justification, 1800m from a cabinet could be much better on VDSL than 4500m from an exchange on ADSL2. (And at that distance with eircom, they'd be left with ADSL1 anyway).

Jaysus , first piece of publicity i have seen on this topic well over a year gone .

Jaysus , first piece of publicity i have seen on this topic well over a year gone .

I agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

Wesport was only partially enabled as part of the trial just 1 cable i understand

Would make sense considering its been "in progress" not complete for ages. And introducing VDSL tones onto one main cable and not the rest from the same MDF would be exactly the kinda test COMREG would want for their analysis.

Would make sense considering its been "in progress" not complete for ages. And introducing VDSL tones onto one main cable and not the rest from the same MDF would be exactly the kinda test COMREG would want for their analysis.

Evdsl is getting noticed :)

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/42088-100k-homes-and-businesses/

Yup got this today off the twitter response :-
    Further update: Macroom EVDSL is well advanced and will be launched this summer http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/ <
    oh that old thing lulz.

Could vdsl from the exchange actually make things worse for Eircom customers? Eircoms network seems to be heavily congested in some areas as it is. Wouldn't trying to increase speed for many people actually make this worse?

Does vdsl bypass the congestion that adsl customers have to deal with?

Could vdsl from the exchange actually make things worse for Eircom customers? Eircoms network seems to be heavily congested in some areas as it is. Wouldn't trying to increase speed for many people actually make this worse?

Does vdsl bypass the congestion that adsl customers have to deal with?

Different topologies/protocols.

ADSL customers use PPPoE over ATM back to a central RAS server in a regional hub, VDSL customers use IPoE that terminates at the local exchange and routes from there. This is part of the reason why latency on VDSL is lower.

Uptake of fibre should reduce subscriber numbers on all the ADSL kit and can improve things there, but could in theory congest core network links, but NGA has shown to be totally over-provisioned so far so I doubt they've done something stupid like allowing that.

Yes there has been a slow let, campaign im sure of it, im seeing my attenuation go down ( thought it was better to go upwards)

The api call thingy is showing weird outputs ( Thinking its being worked on quite a bit in some areas. going on and off line more than me on boards)

I would stab a guess that the gear is all in place waiting the go ahead to plug people in , What say you ED ?. ( I know you have a leg in there somehow)

im back to this again , Ich bin Ein Berliner!
    {"error":"Line Unknown","xbc":false,"xec":false,"xfc":false,"xrc":false,"inga":false,"ingb":false,"phase":"NGA_DONUT","phone":"666-66666","validationType":"phone","completed":true,"partialAddresses":[],"isRedCustomer":true,"ina":false

• Advertisement
Advertisement