Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircom fibre for direct to exchange news?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I've no info, can only postulate.

They've launched 50 odd EVDSL exchanges in what, 2 months? Thats Usain Bolt speeds when it comes to telcos. They're heaving to for sure. One of the other posters said they'd heard from eircoms field lads that there were racks sitting in situe before this started, so that means eircom did at least some prep work. There are rules that they have to give a month or two's notice to the other operators before releasing stuff, so after comreg said yes they may have plonked them all out and said "a month from now this all goes live".

Was MRM on BK's leaked list? If it was then at the current rate they should get to you very soon, assuming no hiccups.

Everyone was hammering the prequal API so Im not surprised it went belly up intermittently, doubt they ever expected that much traffic to it. It'll tell you as soon as theyve commissioned the racks and rated the lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

Lol think it might be just me . lol . Yes im sure MRM was on that leaked list . Plus the twitter response i got from Eircom wholesale seems promising. I should start calling it the prequal widget , I just cant do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

bk wrote: »
    Ok, some really good news, I've heard that eVDSL has gotten the go ahead and that the following exchanges will go live on the 18/03/2014:

AFD1
    CRT1
    LCN1
    RUY1
    ASN1
    CRW1
    LHA1
    SAN1
    BBS1
    CTY1
    LKD1
    SHN1
    BCA1
    CVN1
    MAH1
    SKS1
    BDT1
    DBN1
    MGN1
    SND1
    BLP1
    DBT1
    MGR1
    SRL1
    BMN1
    DGS1
    MHZ1
    STN1
    BRN2
    DNN1
    MNT1
    THS1
    BSE1
    DNU1
    MSN1
    TLR1
    BTE1
    DSN1
    MYN1
    TRM1
    BUO1
    FBK1
    NAS1
    TWV1
    BWM1
    FNG1
    NWT1
    VGA1
    CAB1
    FOX1
    OGT1
    WAL1
    CEL1
    GMR1
    PGS1
    WST1
    CHD1
    GRS1
    PMK1
    CLS1
    ISL1
    PRP1
    CLT1
    KDN1
    RCL1
    CNR1
    KGN1
    RSL1
    CPH1
    KLO1
    RTD1
    CRL1
    KME1
    RUS1

MRM not on this list (I think)

Might not be on the list but the MRM exchange is appearing the same as the others in the recent spate of Blue. Also eircom Wholesale tweeted to say it will be running this summer from MRM. All is well interested to see what the adsl @ 17MB will run at on evdsl with lower frequency.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭MediaHaul

dbit wrote: »
    Might not be on the list but the MRM exchange is appearing the same as the others in the recent spate of Blue. Also eircom Wholesale tweeted to say it will be running this summer from MRM. All is well interested to see what the adsl @ 17MB will run at on evdsl with lower frequency.

This is the boat I am in dbit. 16/17 on adsl = 12 on vdsl it seems for me connected to CEL1. Not worth the change to fibre.

*prays for FTTH soon*

MediaHaul wrote: »
    This is the boat I am in dbit. 16/17 on adsl = 12 on vdsl it seems for me connected to CEL1. Not worth the change to fibre.

*prays for FTTH soon*

I am not so sure that is an accurate estimation , other side is we dont know how much freq we will operate on as they can turn that up ?? 2.xx mhz versus 17.x in cabs doesnt sound good to be honest .

eVDSL is operating just like unvectored FTTC, its not nuked like that old COMREG doc hinted.

Well i wont accept 12 MB from evdsl , i will be stipulating that to eircom upon signup , that if the speeds are not satisfactory im off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,502 ✭✭✭✭guil

Well i wont accept 12 MB from evdsl , i will be stipulating that to eircom upon signup , that if the speeds are not satisfactory im off.

What are your stats like? Trying to compare mine to others getting 17mb on adsl.

• Advertisement

I have just checked a guy in Mitchelstown line he was on 12 MB ADSL , is now 300-400 meters from his cab , line prequal says 12MB max adsl or ngb , possibly he was direct fed as the results seem strange :-

{"aaa":"1234567","ccb":"018","eee":"MSN","xbc":true,"xec":true,"xfc":true,"xrc":true,"inga":true,"ingb":true,"maxHSI":"90M_20M_R","maxNGB":"12M_672K_RH","maxNRA":"80M_20M_FR","maxHSIServiceCode":"FCBPS","maxNGBServiceCode":"BMBS24M","maxNRAServiceCode":"FCBPS","phone":"xxx-xxxx","validationType":"phone","completed":true,"partialAddresses":[],"isRedCustomer":false,"ina":false}

He is getting 50/20 now.

My attenuation down is 17. and 8.1 up , I get 17MB down and pie up !!.
    http://www.speedguide.net/dsl_speed_calc.php says i max 21MB down on adsl 2+ and 27 Down on vdsl @1.2km distance i know its shorter than that. Im miffed by what will come to be honest.

Mine is the same but atten up is 8.4
    Set is only 6 though.

According to kitz I'm about 1200 metres but I can't see how the line is going off anywhere else, I'm 800 metres but even taking a loop down to the earlier part of the estate that only adds 200 tops.

I have just checked a guy in Mitchelstown line he was on 12 MB ADSL , is now 300-400 meters from his cab , line prequal says 12MB max adsl or ngb , possibly he was direct fed as the results seem strange :-

{"aaa":"1234567","ccb":"018","eee":"MSN","xbc":true,"xec":true,"xfc":true,"xrc":true,"inga":true,"ingb":true,"maxHSI":"90M_20M_R","maxNGB":"12M_672K_RH","maxNRA":"80M_20M_FR","maxHSIServiceCode":"FCBPS","maxNGBServiceCode":"BMBS24M","maxNRAServiceCode":"FCBPS","phone":"xxx-xxxx","validationType":"phone","completed":true,"partialAddresses":[],"isRedCustomer":false,"ina":false}

He is getting 50/20 now.

He either went with a cheap package, or needs to be reprofiled. He wasnt direct fed, shows there he's off CCP #18.
    My attenuation down is 17. and 8.1 up , I get 17MB down and pie up !!.
    http://www.speedguide.net/dsl_speed_calc.php says i max 21MB down on adsl 2+ and 27 Down on vdsl @1.2km distance i know its shorter than that. Im miffed by what will come to be honest.

dAtten of 17dB suggests you're 1200m alright, while it might be slightly off its usually pretty accurate. Might hit 30_10 at that distance, or even 40_10 if you were really lucky.

guil wrote: »
    Mine is the same but atten up is 8.4
    Set is only 6 though.

According to kitz I'm about 1200 metres but I can't see how the line is going off anywhere else, I'm 800 metres but even taking a loop down to the earlier part of the estate that only adds 200 tops.

Is your modem directly on the drop? Internals can significantly increase your attenuation, especially sh1t phone cables.

ED E wrote: »
    Is your modem directly on the drop? Internals can significantly increase your attenuation, especially sh1t phone cables.

Yep it's the only thing connected to the only socket in the house, had to get eircom to install a line cos there was none here. Nearly sure I used the phone wire Vodafone supplied but I'll try another one to be sure. Should of said snr is 6 above.

• Advertisement

17Mb, 17dB dAtten and 6dB dSNR? All things being perfect(they often arent) Id expect your SNR to be up at 10-14 as the attainable should be close to 20Mb. Probably either a poor bit of cable or a very small fault somewhere in the mix.

Just checked again and it's much of a muchness. When they installed the line it had to be run from a junction point I think in a back garden 4 houses up, then ran down the gutters to mine.

My SNR up/down 21.2/8.8

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Donegal town must have had eVDSL enabled or in the process of it, as a workmate is connected to exchange and Vodafone rang him to say it'd be available next week, so he's signed up it.

byte wrote: »
    Donegal town must have had eVDSL enabled or in the process of it, as a workmate is connected to exchange and Vodafone rang him to say it'd be available next week, so he's signed up it.

DGL isnt on the list, they may have extended it since bk got his hands on it OR they've started phase 2 exchanges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

Bloody checker is offline again all morning , are they on to us ??? lols.

byte

Can somebody give me the link that's used by yuloni used? I had used it before for my own house (on a cab in DGL outside town centre), and from which I found I could get 50/20 max, so I upgraded from the existing 40/10.

I'd like to try it on the work number though, as it's off the exchange.

byte

{"aaa":"1838571","ccb":"E01","date":"27/05/2015","eee":"DGL","xbc":true,"xec":true,"xfc":false,"xrc":false,"inga":true,"ingb":true,"maxHSI":"50M_15M_R","maxNGB":"20M_768K_RH","maxNRA":"34M_16M_FR","maxHSIServiceCode":"FCBPS","maxNGBServiceCode":"BMBS24M","maxNRAServiceCode":"FCBPS","phone":"074-972xxxx","ere":"27/05/2015","validationType":"phone","completed":true,"partialAddresses":[],"isRedCustomer":false,"ina":false}

Seems it is. Maximum 50/15 from work, which is kind of behind where the exchange is.

byte

yuloni wrote: »
    Heh, aye the railway museum would be very close, or John Bosco Centre or anyone living in Marion Villas.

Need to get the wheels rolling at work then and push the boss, as currently we're on 8/512 which is not great when a remote desktop is in operation. I'd imagine faster upload particularly would help the rdt.

If its MS RDP then it actually performs pretty well on slow connections, the likes of teamviewer etc though you'll see a really marked improvement though.

• Advertisement
    byte

ED E wrote: »
    If its MS RDP then it actually performs pretty well on slow connections, the likes of teamviewer etc though you'll see a really marked improvement though.
    Honestly not sure how it's all set up, just know it is rigged thru ZyXEL firewalls on either side, and a bridged DSL modem. It was set up by POS crowd.

byte

They are VPN'd alright, that much I do know. As sometimes the VPN drops for whatever reason and I have to log into the firewall and reactive/reconnect it again. Been a while since I needed to but pretty sure it's via IPsec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

byte wrote: »
    They are VPN'd alright, that much I do know. As sometimes the VPN drops for whatever reason and I have to log into the firewall and reactive/reconnect it again. Been a while since I needed to but pretty sure it's via IPsec.
    I doubt this can be changed but if security isn't quite as important, the PPTP VPN protocol works a bit faster than IPsec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

What does the change below mean:-
    On 15/5/2015 prequal read was - {"xbc":false,"xec":false,"xfc":false,"xrc":false,"inga":false,"ingb":true,"maxNGB":"17M_768K_RH","maxNGBServiceCode":"BMBS24M","phone":"xx-xxxxxxx","validationType":"phone","completed":true,"partialAddresses":[],"isRedCustomer":false,"ina":false}

Just now (25/5/2015) prequal read is -
    {"ccb":"013","eee":"LND","xbc":false,"xec":false,"xfc":false,"xrc":false,"inga":false,"ingb":true,"maxNGB":"17M_768K_RH","maxNGBServiceCode":"BMBS24M","phone":"xx-xxxxxxx","validationType":"phone","completed":true,"partialAddresses":[],"isRedCustomer":false,"ina":false}

Does it mean that I have been wired to a nearby "live" cabinet that coincidentally has the designation LND1_013. I have been told previously that I am directly fed from the exchange. Text received form Vodafone yesterday that they were working to resolve an issue in my area and not to adjust my modem may or may not have anything to do with the change - more likely the guys down manholes in the past few weeks and reels of cables in the vicinity.

Opinions from those who know the score (?) appreciated

Hibrasil wrote: »
    What does the change below mean:-
    On 15/5/2015 prequal read was - {"xbc":false,"xec":false,"xfc":false,"xrc":false,"inga":false,"ingb":true,"maxNGB":"17M_768K_RH","maxNGBServiceCode":"BMBS24M","phone":"xx-xxxxxxx","validationType":"phone","completed":true,"partialAddresses":[],"isRedCustomer":false,"ina":false}

Just now (25/5/2015) prequal read is -
    {"ccb":"013","eee":"LND","xbc":false,"xec":false,"xfc":false,"xrc":false,"inga":false,"ingb":true,"maxNGB":"17M_768K_RH","maxNGBServiceCode":"BMBS24M","phone":"xx-xxxxxxx","validationType":"phone","completed":true,"partialAddresses":[],"isRedCustomer":false,"ina":false}

Assuming the prequal widget wasnt glitching out when you first ran it, that sounds like either A. a records update where they added in correct CCP info or B. "Network Rearrangement" as BT call it, where they move main cables to new/existing cabs in order to serve VDSL. Be interesting to see them doing that considering the rush for FTTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭MichealKenny

yuloni wrote: »

To resolve HTTPs you need the following request header along with a User-Agent of your choosing:
    Referer: https://www.eircom.net/broadband/productDetails?id=1&newCust=true

Unfortunately either Eircom or their CDN are blocking my servers IP address via HTTPs so I can't implement this into https://speedcheck.mikenny.com/ at the minute. I have noticed that the HTTPs endpoint never goes down, even when there are issues with the HTTP endpoint, shame they're blocking me.

Here is a python(2 or 3) script you can run on your own computer that works with the HTTPs endpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭mailsanchu

To resolve HTTPs you need the following request header along with a User-Agent of your choosing:
    Referer: https://www.eircom.net/broadband/productDetails?id=1&newCust=true

Unfortunately either Eircom or their CDN are blocking my servers IP address via HTTPs so I can't implement this into https://speedcheck.mikenny.com/ at the minute. I have noticed that the HTTPs endpoint never goes down, even when there are issues with the HTTP endpoint, shame they're blocking me.

Here is a python(2 or 3) script you can run on your own computer that works with the HTTPs endpoint.

I ran your script. What is the purpose of the last line in the script ? It just hangs ..

input()

mailsanchu wrote: »
    I ran your script. What is the purpose of the last line in the script ? It just hangs ..

input()

If people double click on the file, when it reaches the end of the script, it closes instantly, so in order for people to have time to look at the data or copy it, I end it with input() so it terminates when the user hits enter or closes the window, could have also used sleep(10) or something like that, do you know of a better way?

But yeah I don't really recommend double clicking a script from the internet without looking at it first, and I recommend you run it from the command line, but I was just trying to make it as user friendly as possible.

• Advertisement

If people double click on the file, when it reaches the end of the script, it closes instantly, so in order for people to have time to look at the data or copy it, I end it with input() so it terminates when the user hits enter or closes the window, could have also used sleep(10) or something like that, do you know of a better way?

But yeah I don't really recommend double clicking a script from the internet without looking at it first, and I recommend you run it from the command line, but I was just trying to make it as user friendly as possible.

Ok i see what you are doing. I was running this script from a terminal.. it was not terminating

Ok i see what you are doing. I was running this script from a terminal.. it was not terminating

ah right yeah it's just an empty prompt, pressing enter would make it terminate, have now updated it to prompt the user to press enter to terminate.

ah right yeah it's just an empty prompt, pressing enter would make it terminate, have now updated it to prompt the user to press enter to terminate.

Trying to run it in python Shell here , do i need to mod any values ? cant get it running ?

Trying to run it in python Shell here , do i need to mod any values ? cant get it running ?

Nope it should prompt you for an area code and then the rest of the phone number. Right click the file and open with Python. You need either python 2 or python 3 installed on your computer, available here.

If it spits out an error please post that and I will try to troubleshoot it.

Python client is acting the dickhead here working away on it , dying with flu and asthma attack. Slowly does it lolz. Will test again in a bit.

Import requests fails on 2.x then on 3.x
    :-
    SyntaxError: multiple statements found while compiling a single statement, and highlights "import requests" in red ?

• Advertisement

Import requests fails on 2.x then on 3.x
    :-
    SyntaxError: multiple statements found while compiling a single statement, and highlights "import requests" in red ?

I tried that on Linux and it works .. Did you try on windows ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I tried that on Linux and it works .. Did you try on windows ??

I tried on Linux ......
    [user@XPS ~]$ /home/user/speedcheck.py
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/home/user/speedcheck.py", line 2, in <module>
    import requests
    ImportError: No module named 'requests'

Apparently needs a module called 'requests' ....

hmm that's strange, requests should be included with python, just do "sudo easy_install requests" or "sudo pip install requests" to get it.

I have updated it to have no dependencies as it seems requests isn't a builtin module, shame.

Available here.

I tried on Linux ......

Apparently needs a module called 'requests' ....

Ye was trying it on windows maybe ill try later when the whole package is revised . Cheers.

Still getting errors in windows invalid syntax ...... and now highlights the headers in red.

Do you have the post and headers info to call it from a rest client ?

Ye was trying it on windows maybe ill try later when the whole package is revised . Cheers.

Still getting errors in windows invalid syntax ...... and now highlights the headers in red.

Do you have the post and headers info to call it from a rest client ?

dbit you have to post the entire error for it to be troubleshooted.

I have tested the script on fresh Python 2.7.9 and Python 3.4.0 environments and it is working fine, unless you're running a really old version of Python then I don't know what's wrong.

If it's just speed you want to get I suggest https://speedcheck.mikenny.com/ instead.

• Advertisement
Advertisement