Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircom fibre for direct to exchange news?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

dbit you have to post the entire error for it to be troubleshooted.

I have tested the script on fresh Python 2.7.9 and Python 3.4.0 environments and it is working fine, unless you're running a really old version of Python then I don't know what's wrong.

If it's just speed you want to get I suggest https://speedcheck.mikenny.com/ instead.

No Micheal , its not just the speed im after . I have used both 3.4 and 2.7 each time it fails i get no error messgae other than syntax based error now at this stage.

It flags the header in red, and outputs syntax error thats all the info it gives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

hmm that's strange, requests should be included with python, just do "sudo easy_install requests" or "sudo pip install requests" to get it.

I have updated it to have no dependencies as it seems requests isn't a builtin module, shame.

Available here.

That worked here on Linux .....
    [user@XPS ~]$ /home/user/speedcheck2.py 
    Area code: xxx                                                                                                                          
    Rest of number: yyyyyy                                                                                                                  
    {"aaa":"1350551","xbc":true,"xec":true,"xfc":false,"xrc":false,"inga":false,"ingb":true,"maxNGB":"5M_512K_RHL","maxNGBServiceCode":"NGNBMB8M","phone":"xxx-yyyyyyy","validationType":"phone","completed":true,"partialAddresses":[],"isRedCustomer":false,"ina":false}                                                               
    Press enter to terminate                                                                                                                                         
    [user@XPS ~]$

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I'm still having lots of problems with my internet so an engineer called to me again. He seems sure that I will get fibre once the exchange goes live.
    Here's my line stats. What are my chances?

Btw my line syncs at that speed but I often get 1mbit or less in the evenings.

350164.png

The estimation from this site is 1.5km but wouldn't I be on a faster adsl profile if that was the case?
    http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

tuxy wrote: »
    I'm still having lots of problems with my internet so an engineer called to me again. He seems sure that I will get fibre once the exchange goes live.
    Here's my line stats. What are my chances?

Btw my line syncs at that speed but I often get 1mbit or less in the evenings.

350164.png

The estimation from this site is 1.5km but wouldn't I be on a faster adsl profile if that was the case?
    http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php
    Just 1 Mbit? As reported by speedtest.net for instance? With nobody else using the internet? That line is very healthy. It could probably take the next profile up, whatever that is. 17 Mbit? You're not going to notice a massive speed boost from 2 Mbits though and it could compromise line stability.

Just 1 Mbit? As reported by speedtest.net for instance? With nobody else using the internet? That line is very healthy. It could probably take the next profile up, whatever that is. 17 Mbit? You're not going to notice a massive speed boost from 2 Mbits though and it could compromise line stability.

Yes 13 mbit very stable download speed from speedtest.net at off peak times then come 9pm and the speed is all over the place and often under 1mbit then at 11:30pm everything is back to normal. This has been going on for months now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

yuloni wrote: »

I'm in Nenagh. Eircom engineers tell me that there is a congestion problem but tech support refuses to acknowledge it.
    An engineer told me not to worry that I'd be on vdsl in about a month and that would sort it.
    I'm sceptical though.

That would have been me on here. ED E has great info, I don't always understand it though but I think I know what he means in this case. :)
    I'm just trying to figure out if there is a good chance I can avail of vdsl from the exchange once it becomes available.

• Advertisement

I don't need faster internet, 13 mbit is fine. If I could get that speed at 10pm at night I would be happy. At the moment there are many night where I can't stream video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭oleras

Is efiber going to make any difference to these stats ?

On the role-out it says May..hopefully june ish.

eircon.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

oleras wrote: »
    Is efiber going to make any difference to these stats ?

On the roolout it says May..hopefully june ish.

eircon.png

Not unless you go connect to a cabinet that gets eFibre, your line is over 3km from the exchange

I'm in Nenagh. Eircom engineers tell me that there is a congestion problem but tech support refuses to acknowledge it.
    An engineer told me not to worry that I'd be on vdsl in about a month and that would sort it.
    I'm sceptical though.
    That sounds exactly like congestion. I assume with VDSL, there will be some significant improvements to capacity from e.g. Nenagh to Limerick or Dublin but then, the exchange is already an NGB exchange if it has ADSL2+. Remind me, are you an eircom customer?
    There have been reports here of limited backhaul connections from exchanges, like those 34 Mbit/s wireless links which mean there can be severe congestion and indeed line connection/sync speeds being limited to 3 Mbit/s per customer. If a regional POP was affected, wouldn't that affect many people throughout the likes of Limerick or the rest of Tipperary etc? There should be more reports if that were so.

Yes I'm with Eircom and I agree, if it were a more widespread problem boards would be full of thread with people complaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yeah, Nenagh is way too big to still be radio. Its also on a core route from the west back to Dublin. Radio exchanges are only the small ones like Achill island and the back ar$e of Roscommon. 12Mb between 100 people... *shudders*.

ADSL still works over ATM, which is kind of a dead technology at this point (though not to say it was a bad one), fibre drops it for a 90% IP network. So problems on it may not happen on VDSL. And With the amount of access bandwidth provided to the cabs I'd really be shocked in the core network hasnt been built out to support TBps of extra traffic.

• Advertisement

I think the first choke would be the DSLAM to agg links, say they team 4x 1Gig links, and the rack becomes busy, then you could saturate that 4Gig and require extra links(or upgrade to 10G, but I suspect all these old racks predate that).

Hmmmm. Nenagh wouldn't be any more connected with microwave links than the Limerick POP would single out one customer for contention. I should clarify, that those 34 Mbit/s links are a tad below what Nenagh would be served by and I never suggested otherwise:cool:

Haha do I have to paint it on a wall?! Of course Nenagh has moved far beyond microwave links. When did I say otherwise.

Did you see that on some part of the N56? The govt gave Eircom (or maybe TÉ) a nice wad of cash to run fibre along the length of it, from Donegal to Letterkenny.

I wish I had someone to compare my connection to. But people I know are a little closer to the town and on vdsl.
    Can anyone tell by my line stats if I at least have a chance of getting vdsl from the exchange?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Donne

I wish I had someone to compare my connection to. But people I know are a little closer to the town and on vdsl.
    Can anyone tell by my line stats if I at least have a chance of getting vdsl from the exchange?

Hi Tuxy,

How are you able to get in contact with Eircom engineers?

Thanks

Donne wrote: »
    Hi Tuxy,

How are you able to get in contact with Eircom engineers?

Thanks

Technical support has sent them out twice to test my line to ensure the problem I am having is not due to a faulty line.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭ClonNGB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Ours went live either yesterday or today in Duleek Meath . It's showing as green and live on the where and when site when I enter my number into the eircom site it's saying I can't get it :/ I asked eircom too and they told me to ask them again in a few months I'm tired of waiting I'm connected direct to the exchange which they told me already.

If it's live and I'm connected to it shouldn't I be able to get efibre? My line distance is 1-1.5km max so it should be well within the limit ..

The exchange is DLK1_E01

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭mailsanchu

jay93 wrote: »
    Ours went live either yesterday or today in Duleek Meath . It's showing as green and live on the where and when site when I enter my number into the eircom site it's saying I can't get it :/ I asked eircom too and they told me to ask them again in a few months I'm tired of waiting I'm connected direct to the exchange which they told me already.

If it's live and I'm connected to it shouldn't I be able to get efibre? My line distance is 1-1.5km max so it should be well within the limit ..

The exchange is DLK1_E01

I thought when exchange goes live every body connected to the exchange can get efibre. That is not the case :)

jay93 wrote: »

The exchange is DLK1_E01

Patience. There may be a delay in the prequal database updating after they commission the exchange. Use the prequal widget Michael made up(see other thread) to check your line in a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭kenny111

of 5 numbers including my own in bandon that could not get efibre before, 2 now can and the rest can't. if the database needs updating wouldn't all 5 still not be available. i am closer approx 700m to the exchange than the 2 that now can receive this.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭mailsanchu

kenny111 wrote: »
    of 5 numbers including my own in bandon that could not get efibre before, 2 now can and the rest can't. if the database needs updating wouldn't all 5 still not be available. i am closer approx 700m to the exchange than the 2 that now can receive this.

Not sure what is their criteria

What are your line stats like?

my stats are

DSL Mode: ADSL2+
    Speed: 15360 kbps /765 kbps
    Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 18 dB /10 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 13 dB /16 dB

what speed should i get?

my stats are

DSL Mode: ADSL2+
    Speed: 15360 kbps /765 kbps
    Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 18 dB /10 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 13 dB /16 dB

what speed should i get?

I think that attenuation would put you at 1300m from the exchange.
    If this post is correct
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89426826&postcount=179
    You would be able to get 18Mbit
    That's only if they actually do let people over 1km away to get vdsl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,502 ✭✭✭✭guil

This brought a little tear to my eye

68 is the magic number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

ED E wrote: »
    Patience. There may be a delay in the prequal database updating after they commission the exchange. Use the prequal widget Michael made up(see other thread) to check your line in a week.

Thanks i'll check it in a week and see if anything changes. :)

my line stats are :

DSL Mode : ITU G.992.5(ADSL2PLUS) Speed: 16226 kbps/765 kbps Line Attenuation(Down/Up): 15.6 dB/ 6.9 dB DSL Noise Margin: 6.6 dB/ 16.5 dB
    I think based on them i am over a km from the exchange .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Ballinasloe E01 went live 5 or 6 weeks ago. According to the eircom Wholesale map, eVDSL became available initially on 10 lines. Yesterday another 10 were added.
    I've checked a lot of DF numbers around town and only a handful are passing.

Any ideas why are those figures so low?

I wonder if they cant auto test from the MDF like normal. If the MTAU(if they use them) isnt able to do it then they might have to manually jumper and test. Thatd be SLOOOOOOOW.

Or they may intentionally be rate limiting it to keep pacing for KNN.

has any tried getting a new line and if so is there any way of ensuring that it would be connected to a cabinet rather than the exchange?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭ClonNGB

I ordered a new line and it is showing up for efibre. The local exchange is still not got a green E01 cab so no sure why the line is enabled. Will know for sure once the fibre modem is delivered. I will post stats. I can get 17Mb on ADSL2+ (<1km from exchange) on the existing but the line checker for the new line shows 12Mb. Maybe the 12Mb is a default value until the DSL modem is in place ? At the moment it is free to get a new line installed.

clonngb

were you able then to discontinue the old line? i suppose it couldn't be that easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

ClonNGB wrote: »
    I ordered a new line and it is showing up for efibre. The local exchange is still not got a green E01 cab so no sure why the line is enabled. Will know for sure once the fibre modem is delivered. I will post stats. I can get 17Mb on ADSL2+ (<1km from exchange) on the existing but the line checker for the new line shows 12Mb. Maybe the 12Mb is a default value until the DSL modem is in place ? At the moment it is free to get a new line installed.

You bring good news...but....

1. Who was your supplier before you ordered the new line (Eircom / Vodafone etc)
    2. Who did you order the new line from (Eircom or your supplier...)
    3. Did your phone number change, and last but not least...
    4. Did it cost you anything (and if it did...what did it cost you)

Apologies if this appears analytical in the extreme....but that's the only way we learn.

Thanks and regards...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭domeld

I will have a line on Tuesday, so i will order bb on Wednesday. According eircom gateway i can have 40/10.
    Line connected into Gorey exchange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

Nope it should prompt you for an area code and then the rest of the phone number. Right click the file and open with Python. You need either python 2 or python 3 installed on your computer, available here.

If it spits out an error please post that and I will try to troubleshoot it.

Thanks for this , great to have the checks back working again. It still will not execute in the GUI for me , I did get it to run by simply copying down the script to a file in KAli linux and then from command line i had to type "python eircom.py" ( I named the file eircom.py) then it takes inputs and run as expected. using ./eircom.py did not run the interpreter ?? I am not a coder so bluffed it till it worked.

Thanks for this Micheal.

• Advertisement

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Ballinasloe E01 went live 5 or 6 weeks ago. According to the eircom Wholesale map, eVDSL became available initially on 10 lines. Yesterday another 10 were added.
    I've checked a lot of DF numbers around town and only a handful are passing.

Any ideas why are those figures so low?
    Are you trying out numbers you know and from the phone book and sticking them in the tester? Or is that a definitive total of lines that pass? Just 10 lines, even manually tested, shouldn't take that long to be enabled...

Advertisement