Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircom fibre for direct to exchange news?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Is the line checker thing still not working? I get a wrong page response on the eircom website. I've tried http and https

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

guil wrote: »
    Is the line checker thing still not working? I get a wrong page response on the eircom website. I've tried http and https

You can use micheals script in python to pull the info as the web link is borked . PM your num to me and ill look it up and msg it back to you if you like .

copy this to a file :-
    try:
    from urllib2 import urlopen, Request
    except:
    from urllib.request import urlopen, Request

headers = {
    'User-Agent': 'SpeedCheck script - MichealKenny',
    'Referer': 'https://www.eircom.net/broadband/productDetails?id=1&newCust=true',
    }

try:
    area_code = raw_input('Area code: ')
    number = raw_input('Rest of number: ')

except NameError:
    area_code = input('Area code: ')
    number = input('Rest of number: ')

url = 'https://www.eircom.net/prequalWidget/rest/ardaddresslook/phone-rsp/' \
    '{area}-{number}/broadband/false'.format(area=area_code, number=number)

req = Request(url, headers=headers)
    urlopen(req)
    data = urlopen(req)

print(data.read().decode())
    input('Press enter to terminate')
    ******************************************************************* ( Do not use the asterix in the file)
    save the file in kali and call it Eircom.py . then from command line type :-

python eircom.py , it should then prompt for the area code then phone num and then output the data.

What do ya mean save it in Kali?

What do ya mean save it in Kali?

KAli linux VM , or just use python in windows. (Kali will have it all installed ready to run )

Alternatively run linux with X , pop out a terminal , install python 2.7.x , then from command line call the file you saved in the manner i described .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

dbit wrote: »
    Thanks for this , great to have the checks back working again. It still will not execute in the GUI for me , I did get it to run by simply copying down the script to a file in KAli linux and then from command line i had to type "python eircom.py" ( I named the file eircom.py) then it takes inputs and run as expected. using ./eircom.py did not run the interpreter ?? I am not a coder so bluffed it till it worked.

Thanks for this Micheal.

chmod +x eircom.py

Will make it executable

chmod +x eircom.py

Will make it executable

Ye went one further and cleaned up my understanding on the back of all of this , set variable and path in windows so i can call it from cmd line also. Gui still wont run it though . Its now working in more than one place so im all good to go. No update on the ****ty exchange . I said to myself if not up and running by june 1st ill give my notice and move back to the city . Tomorrow is that day . Cant wait for all that docsis and 4g yumminess all around me again .

I got my CRN from vodafone and ran the python script, it's now saying false for red customer and the donut bit is gone as well

{"xbc":false,"xec":false,"xfc":false,"xrc":false,"inga":false,"ingb":true,"maxNG
    B":"17M_768K_RH","maxNGBServiceCode":"BMBS24M","phone":"xxxx-xxxxxxx","validatio
    nType":"phone","completed":true,"partialAddresses":[],"isRedCustomer":false,"ina
    ":false}

I got my CRN from vodafone and ran the python script, it's now saying false for red customer and the donut bit is gone as well

{"xbc":false,"xec":false,"xfc":false,"xrc":false,"inga":false,"ingb":true,"maxNG
    B":"17M_768K_RH","maxNGBServiceCode":"BMBS24M","phone":"xxxx-xxxxxxx","validatio
    nType":"phone","completed":true,"partialAddresses":[],"isRedCustomer":false,"ina
    ":false}

same results as me . Im not hanging about any longer im off back to the city fork this sh1t for a game of soldiers. Happy to sit on 240MB until siro pull in to cork city. This direct fed thread is one i will be happy to see the back of and eircom in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭kenny111

anybody know if there are any further plans to add more cabinets into areas, there are 80 houses on my street, up to the start of the street can get fibre and the road and an estate of over 300 houses further up the road can get fibre due to cabinets in place now. my street is in dead zone as we are over 1k from the exchange and are direct connected. I would love to be able to order a new line but a engineer told me that it is not guaranteed to be directed to a cabinet.

• Advertisement

kenny111 wrote: »
    anybody know if there are any further plans to add more cabinets into areas, there are 80 houses on my street, up to the start of the street can get fibre and the road and an estate of over 300 houses further up the road can get fibre due to cabinets in place now. my street is in dead zone as we are over 1k from the exchange and are direct connected. I would love to be able to order a new line but a engineer told me that it is not guaranteed to be directed to a cabinet.

The exchange might get enabled for evdsl. Keep an eye on the map on fibrerollout.ie

The exchange might get enabled for evdsl. Keep an eye on the map on fibrerollout.ie

my exchange is enabled but i still can't get it as i am over 1k from it. plenty of people on the street would love to get it, one guy i know is moving as he needs faster access for work.

kenny111 wrote: »
    my exchange is enabled but i still can't get it as i am over 1k from it. plenty of people on the street would love to get it, one guy i know is moving as he needs faster access for work.

Eircom say you can get it up to 2km away. What exchange is it?

bandon BND1_E01, i was on to eircom earlier and they say i cant get it, i believe that the 2k limit applies to cabinets rather than the exchange, i am on 17mb now.

That's bad news for me so. According to other posts here eircom said its 1800 metres for cabs or 2000 from the exchange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

That's bad news for me so. According to other posts here eircom said its 1800 metres for cabs or 2000 from the exchange.

Other way round, 2km from a cab

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Other way round, 2km from a cab

Eircom reps have been saying it's 2km from the cab and now also 2km from the exchange but I've never heard of anyone being more than 1.2km away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

tuxy wrote: »
    Eircom reps have been saying it's 2km from the cab and now also 2km from the exchange but I've never heard of anyone being more than 1.2km away.

1.8km from exchange is the spec

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Eircom reps have been saying it's 2km from the cab and now also 2km from the exchange but I've never heard of anyone being more than 1.2km away.[/QUOTE

That'd be partly due to the fact that copper cabs would be common to distribute the longer runs so the chances of having a ccp increase after 1km.

1.8km from exchange is the spec

What is the speed expected to be at the range?
    Sorry if this info is already in thread, it's a long thread.

• Advertisement

What is the speed expected to be at the range?
    Sorry if this info is already in thread, it's a long thread.

12_1 is the minimal they'll sell, 7_1 is the lowest value before you fail to prequalify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Are you trying out numbers you know and from the phone book and sticking them in the tester? Or is that a definitive total of lines that pass? Just 10 lines, even manually tested, shouldn't take that long to be enabled...

These are numbers I know well and know to be DF. Most are customers of mine. The 10 lines figure is from the eircom wholesale website. I've been keeping and eye on the figures as each cab has been launched.

I notice a tiny exchange in Lorrha has gone live with 20 lines able to get vdsl. Is it surprising that a tiny exchange would go live before larger ones?

Off to look at a house in Blarney , fingers crossed its connected to a vdsl cab ( Pre qual is just the dogs nuts) Serious looking house . Praying.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Off to look at a house in Blarney , fingers crossed its connected to a vdsl cab ( Pre qual is just the dogs nuts) Serious looking house . Praying.

Make sure it is.

I know someone in Blarney and despite being on a road with a cab at both ends, it seems their line passes right by the cab and is direct feed from the exchange at more then 2km.

Otherwise Blarney is a lovely place.

Got an email today from Eircom stating Macroom DF will go live end of July . Im not waiting any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Got an email today from Eircom stating Macroom DF will go live end of July . Im not waiting any more.

Is there a specific email address i can contact Eircom on, to ask if my line is direct fed and when the exchange is planned for go live?

Delboy5 wrote: »
    Is there a specific email address i can contact Eircom on, to ask if my line is direct fed and when the exchange is planned for go live?

You can check yourself via Micheals python script few pages back .

You can check yourself via Micheals python script few pages back .

Alternatively if your not a computer jesus , God , Demigod , savior then you can pass on your (PM) number to me there and i will look it up for you. The script can tell you where or what you are plugged into and what speeds can be achieved as well as any install dates recorded by eircom and entered into theyre own DB.

• Advertisement

bk wrote: »
    Make sure it is.

I know someone in Blarney and despite being on a road with a cab at both ends, it seems their line passes right by the cab and is direct feed from the exchange at more then 2km.

Otherwise Blarney is a lovely place.

Looked it up using address only the estate is a new one and Two large green cabs , It comes back with address saying yes 60MB speed and in efiber area. The only problem now is even though I was first to view the landlord is acting very Coy , possibly he fears a sinlge person paying the bills alone and i get the impression he will opt for a couple rather than a single dad. ( Swear to Fcuk place does my nuts in sometimes)(Ireland)

{"xbc":false,"xec":false,"xfc":false,"xrc":false,"inga":false,"ingb":true,"maxNGB":"17M_768K_RH","maxNGBServiceCode":"BMBS24M","phone":"xxxxxxxx","validationType":"phone","completed":true,"partialAddresses":[],"isRedCustomer":false,"ina":false}

Anyone explain the above to me? Trying to figure out if im direct fed or not!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭gnolan

I contacted Eircom who tell me I am in a eFibre enabled area. I was told that I could expect 18Mb at the very maximum.

I'm 1.4km from the nearest cabinet and after running the python script I get the following results:
    {
        "ccb": "002",
        "eee": "SND",
        "xbc": false,
        "xec": false,
        "xfc": false,
        "xrc": false,
        "inga": true,
        "ingb": true,
        "maxHSI": "18M_5M_R",
        "maxNGB": "2M_256K_RL",
        "maxNRA": "18M_7M_FR",
        "maxHSIServiceCode": "FCBPS",
        "maxNGBServiceCode": "NGNBMB8M",
        "maxNRAServiceCode": "FCBPS",
        "phone": "xxxxxx",
        "validationType": "phone",
        "completed": true,
        "partialAddresses": [],
        "isRedCustomer": false,
        "ina": false
    }

Can anyone interpret these results and tell me if 18Mb is an accurate expectation of what I could get if I signed up for eFibre?

To give some context, my current speed tops out at a blazingly fast 1.7Mb/s!

EDIT: If it's any help my current line stats are:

Connection speed: 2045kbps Down 380kbps Up
    Line attenuation: 63.5db Down 36.2db Up
    Noise margin: 6.4db Down 16.9db Up

{"xbc":false,"xec":false,"xfc":false,"xrc":false,"inga":false,"ingb":true,"maxNGB":"17M_768K_RH","maxNGBServiceCode":"BMBS24M","phone":"xxxxxxxx","validationType":"phone","completed":true,"partialAddresses":[],"isRedCustomer":false,"ina":false}

Anyone explain the above to me? Trying to figure out if im direct fed or not!?

No NGA info in there at all, doesnt show a CCP so you arent through a cab, or if you are the prequal system doesnt know it. Good chance you could be DF with a 17Mb ADSL2 line.
    gnolan wrote: »
    I contacted Eircom who tell me I am in a eFibre enabled area. I was told that I could expect 18Mb at the very maximum.

I'm 1.4km from the nearest cabinet and after running the python script I get the following results:
    {
    }

Can anyone interpret these results and tell me if 18Mb is an accurate expectation of what I could get if I signed up for eFibre?

You're currently what they call "extended reach" aka lucky to get broadband at all.

SND1_002 is at Kilternan crossroads, so you're likely south of there? I'd count on getting 15Mb Down, 3Mb up. Any higher might introduce instability, youll have to upgrade to find out.

ED E wrote: »
    No NGA info in there at all, doesnt show a CCP so you arent through a cab, or if you are the prequal system doesnt know it. Good chance you could be DF with a 17Mb ADSL2 line.

Im guessing im direct fed too, exchange is approx. 800m away.....any thoughts on what speed id be likely to get!?

Im guessing im direct fed too, exchange is approx. 800m away.....any thoughts on what speed id be likely to get!?

Check what the downstream attenuation is on your router.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

gnolan wrote: »

{
    }

I'm guessing there's something in those results that say if you're an eircom customer or a reseller or on LLU but can you confirm, are you a regular eircom customer?

I wonder is the red customer bit for identifying LLU? Around 2007 I was going to get bt broadband and it was from a cab connected to the same exchange in df to now. Previously is said true but now it's false

Area code: xxxx
    Rest of number: xxxxxxx
    {"xbc":false,"xec":false,"xfc":false,"xrc":false,"inga":false,"ingb":true,"maxNGB":"17M_768K_RH","maxNGBServiceCode":"BMBS24M","phone":"xxxx-xxxxxxx","validationType":"phone","completed":true,"partialAddresses":[],"isRedCustomer":false,"ina":false}
    Press enter to terminate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭gnolan

ED E wrote: »
    You're currently what they call "extended reach" aka lucky to get broadband at all.

SND1_002 is at Kilternan crossroads, so you're likely south of there? I'd count on getting 15Mb Down, 3Mb up. Any higher might introduce instability, youll have to upgrade to find out.

I'd be pretty happy with 15Mb down to be honest, but would just like to be sure that if I was to upgrade it wouldn't be something insignificant like a jump from my current 1.7Mb to 3Mb or something like that.
    I'm guessing there's something in those results that say if you're an eircom customer or a reseller or on LLU but can you confirm, are you a regular eircom customer?

Nope - moved to BT a long time ago and then to Vodafone after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

I wonder is the red customer bit for identifying LLU? Around 2007 I was going to get bt broadband and it was from a cab connected to the same exchange in df to now. Previously is said true but now it's false

Area code: xxxx
    Rest of number: xxxxxxx
    {"xbc":false,"xec":false,"xfc":false,"xrc":false,"inga":false,"ingb":true,"maxNGB":"17M_768K_RH","maxNGBServiceCode":"BMBS24M","phone":"xxxx-xxxxxxx","validationType":"phone","completed":true,"partialAddresses":[],"isRedCustomer":false,"ina":false}
    Press enter to terminate

My original results are exactly the same - see below - and I too am a Vodafone Customer (previously BT / ESAT BT)

On 15/5/2015 my prequal read was - {"xbc":false,"xec":false,"xfc":false,"xrc":false,"inga":false,"ingb":true,"maxNGB":"17M_768K_RH","maxNGBServiceCode":"BMBS24M","phone":"xx-xxxxxxx","validationType":"phone","completed":true,"partialAddresses":[],"isRedCustomer":false,"ina":false}

However on 25/5/2015 the prequal read was -
    {"ccb":"013","eee":"LND","xbc":false,"xec":false,"xfc":false,"xrc":false,"inga":false,"ingb":true,"maxNGB":"17M_768K_RH","maxNGBServiceCode":"BMBS24M","phone":"xx-xxxxxxx","validationType":"phone","completed":true,"partialAddresses":[],"isRedCustomer":false,"ina":false}

My guess on the difference between two readings is - that I have been switched to a cabinet rather than being DF from exchange (cabinet LND1_013) - fed by exchange LND1_E01 which is undergoing the completion process of Fibre Build.

I think I was originally DF by other exchange LCN1_E01....could be wrong of course.

Idle speculation - but I am wondering if spare capacity has become available at the new exchange (LND1_E01) following the possible migration (or flight) to UPC.

Check what the downstream attenuation is on your router.

• Advertisement

That would put you at around 1300m away
    Which would put you at 18mbit down 5 up

yuloni wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I finally got a response. I'm direct fed as expected and the exchange is planned to upgrade the end of August. Nothing about the max range though.

That would put you at around 1300m away
    Which would put you at 18mbit down 5 up

Possibly higher (24Mb).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Finally got a response from someone in eircom who found out why I haven't been able to get efibre from my exchange when it went live in the last week I'm on an older shelve in the exchange and I was told it will be moved to the efibre part over the next few months was hoping for it to be sooner than this.

jay93 wrote: »
    Finally got a response from someone in eircom who found out why I haven't been able to get efibre from my exchange when it went live in the last week I'm on an older shelve in the exchange and I was told it will be moved to the efibre part over the next few months was hoping for it to be sooner than this.

It's always a bad sign when Eircom can't give you an exact date. :(
    I wonder will this be a problem for many people.

A response from the fibrerollout site.

Your number is direct fed from a cabinet in the exchange, which is included in our deployment plan and the good news is that it is due for upgrade this summer with a forecasted go live date of July. For further information you will need to contact your preferred retail provider.

Kind Regards

Hopefully my number will be one of the initial ones to have fibre-enabled........

A response from the fibrerollout site.

Your number is direct fed from a cabinet in the exchange, which is included in our deployment plan and the good news is that it is due for upgrade this summer with a forecasted go live date of July. For further information you will need to contact your preferred retail provider.

Kind Regards

Hopefully my number will be one of the initial ones to have fibre-enabled........

Got the same message from MAcroom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭Awkward Customer

Got a response yesterday from the site. Doesn't give me any info other than saying there's currently no solution for my place unfortunately.

"Thank you for visiting our fibrerollout site.
    You requested an update on Wicklow specifically 04xxxxx.
    This number is direct fed by Wicklow exchange, as part of our fibre rollout to 1.6 million homes and businesses, we have developed and deployed a number of technical solutions which are used to deliver much faster broadband speeds for customers, offering speeds of up to 100Mb/s. Because we use multiple technologies, timeframes can be impacted as to when services become available to customers in a particular community. The solution for your premises is in planning so as soon as planning is complete we can forecast a go live date. Our fibrerollout site will be updated once this information is available to us."

Got a response yesterday from the site. Doesn't give me any info other than saying there's currently no solution for my place unfortunately.

"Thank you for visiting our fibrerollout site.
    You requested an update on Wicklow specifically 04xxxxx.
    This number is direct fed by Wicklow exchange, as part of our fibre rollout to 1.6 million homes and businesses, we have developed and deployed a number of technical solutions which are used to deliver much faster broadband speeds for customers, offering speeds of up to 100Mb/s. Because we use multiple technologies, timeframes can be impacted as to when services become available to customers in a particular community. The solution for your premises is in planning so as soon as planning is complete we can forecast a go live date. Our fibrerollout site will be updated once this information is available to us."

Genreic popycock and drivel ..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Genreic popycock and drivel ..........

What would you expect them to say?

"Not happening anytime soon because Sky/BT etal are a shower of ****€rs".:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement