Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircom fibre for direct to exchange news?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,502 ✭✭✭✭guil

ED E wrote: »
    Are you checking your own voice number? Need to use the assigned circuit number now, it starts with an 8.

Yeah I was using 045-xxxxxx. I presumed the red reference had something to do with vodafone. I'm ADSL2+. There is fibre cabs but nothing for DF yet. I'm DF. How do I find the circuit number?

yuloni wrote: »
    "isRedCustomer" doesn't mean you've joined Vodafone!! I have quite a few accounts with VF and none of the lines show true here... infact you're the first result where I saw "isRedCustomer":true

By removing the voice, I assume you mean you're on the Vodafone Simply Broadband package where they attempt to remove the dial tone and block all calls out. I have a few of these accounts but they all return results. I have noticed in the past that Vodafone sometimes change the actual line number on these accounts to a different one than that showing on the bill!

I saw your posts about the number changing, I must connect a phone and see what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

guil wrote: »
    Yeah I was using 045-xxxxxx. I presumed the red reference had something to do with vodafone. I'm ADSL2+. There is fibre cabs but nothing for DF yet. I'm DF. How do I find the circuit number?

Connect a handset and call 199000 or 1777 and the exchange should still be able to read it out to ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

Done it again using my mothers phone number. She is on the same simply broadband but is connected to a fibre cab, she lives less than a mile from me.

{"error":"Line Unknown","xbc":false,"xec":false,"xfc":false,"xrc":false,"inga":false,"ingb":false,"phase":"NGA_DONUT","phone":"xxx-xxxxxx","validationType":"phone","completed":true,"partialAddresses":[],"isRedCustomer":true,"ina":false}

This probably because phone numbers are just "labels" on lines. The lines have their own IDs and the prequal is for the actual line, not the number attached to it(numbers get re-assigned just like IP addresses).

If you have a carrier its line ID XXXXXXXXX but services XXX-XXXXX, XXX-XXXXX, XXX-XXXXX.... and also cant support DSL due to the multiplexers down the line. The line ID itself probably gets a zero prequal.

With ISDN you'll often have a hunt group, so the number you dial may not be the actual circuit number, and doesnt directly map to the line. If you get right number it should prequal though(even with ISDN kit on the end).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Have you confirmed she isnt DF though or that that particular exchange has VDSL racks comissioned? (try a number beside the exchange, if E01 is returned then they're present)

It is the Blarney Exchange, which isn't eVDSL enabled yet. The Eircom wholesale map says it will be enabled, but isn't on my list that I published early, so it might be a while.

Businesses very close to the exchange (couple of meters) return the following:

{"xbc":false,"xec":false,"xfc":false,"xrc":false,"inga":false,"ingb":true,"maxNGB":"20M_768K_RH",
    "maxNGBServiceCode":"BMBS24M","phone":"XXXXXX","validationType":"phone","completed":true,
    "partialAddresses":[],"isRedCustomer":false,"ina":false}

Business connected to one of the enabled cabs in the area give:

{"aaa":"1551333","ccb":"008","eee":"BAI","xbc":true,"xec":true,"xfc":true,"xrc":true,"inga":true,
    "ingb":true,"maxHSI":"90M_20M_R","maxNGB":"15M_768K_RH","maxNRA":"80M_20M_FR",
    "maxHSIServiceCode":"FCBPS","maxNGBServiceCode":"BMBS24M","maxNRAServiceCode":"FCBPS",
    "phone":"XXXXXXXX","validationType":"phone","completed":true,"partialAddresses":[],"isRedCustomer":false,"ina":false}

Annoyingly my sister has two live VDSL cabs at either end of the road, one 600 meters away, the other 1.1km away and unless the telephone line goes across fields (rare I believe for Eircom) then I believe the line passes the VDSL cab at 1.1km and is direct feed from the exchange at over 2km away!

It seems to me she is one of these people who would benefit from network reconfiguration, connecting her to the VDSL cabs at 600m or 1.1km away.

According to the NBP she is in an area that will be covered by the NBP. But frustrating to be so close to two cabs, that could give her 70/20 (the 600m one) or 25/7 (the 1.1km one) today if she was connected to them!

Next time I'm out at her house, I most try following the phone cable, to see what route it takes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Some interesting info I just dug up about this from the internet:
    • All Current Generation Products require a PSTN line
    • In NGA we will have POTS-Based and Standalone Services
    • POTS-Based inventory managed by Telephone Number
    • Standalone products available for first time – complex processes
    • A CRN (Customer Reference Number) is being used instead –
    the format will be Std and Tel Number i.e. 88XX-1234567
    » 8881 = Standalone FTTC
    » 8882 = Standalone FTTH
    » 8883 = Standalone ADSL

If the line wasnt terminated separately to the ISDN Unit it could throw the result.

No idea about the codes. Well AAA could be Authentication, Authorization and Accounting. They almost look like UANs but I think theyre too short.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Got a letter today about upgrading to the "up to 24mb" speeds. My exchange is due for vdsl is april - June.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭MediaHaul

@Nolars sounds like your in the same boat as me.

What speed are you currently getting?

• Advertisement

MediaHaul wrote: »
    @Nolars sounds like your in the same boat as me.

What speed are you currently getting?

3mb so it will make feck all difference anyhow. what about you?

I'm getting 16mbps on adsl and the upgrade will give me 12mbps (of the 'up to 24mbps').

So not worth my while.

I'm getting 16mbps on adsl and the upgrade will give me 12mbps (of the 'up to 24mbps').

So not worth my while.

you mean upgrading to vdsl? The upload will be much better tho.

Is it worth losing the half mb/s download speed for the upload ya think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

Is it worth losing the half mb/s download speed for the upload ya think?

Depends on your usage style , but for the most part NOPE ! , best option is to move to a populated area , and before you beat me im on DF as well with no hope of VDSL in what i would call a built up area.

Eircom do not love the good people of macroom due to some politician causing war around 1-2 years ago where they then fitted the up 24MB un-congested BB , in fairness i have never seen it down or running slower than advertised . I need more speed. ( No meth or amphetamines)

• Advertisement

Nolars wrote: »
    3mb so it will make feck all difference anyhow. what about you?

Is your package currently 3Mb or your speed results? If its the package your exchange is probably going NGN and it could make a big difference.

Is your package currently 3Mb or your speed results? If its the package your exchange is probably going NGN and it could make a big difference.

Was on up to 8mb and getting 3mb due to distance, was on to Eircom and my speed wont change up to 24mb due to the distance. (They just send out a letter to everyone on the exchange).

Nolars wrote: »
    Was on up to 8mb and getting 3mb due to distance, was on to Eircom and my speed wont change up to 24mb due to the distance. (They just send out a letter to everyone on the exchange).

Yeah, unfortunately thats correct. Only thing that might improve is latency(slighty, still ATM) and congestion if there was any.

This wasnt vdsl it was an upgrade from asdl to asdl2, looks like they are upgrading the exchanges to asdl2 first.

Any of the legacy exchanges will get ADSL2+ automatically when they run the new backhaul to replace the old radios in preparation for VDSL. They'll have rakes of 2+ cards idle with the thousands moving to VDSL. In fact if naked VDSL becomes more popular urban exchanges could become very quiet places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 63 ✭✭Barry5714

I would be more than happy with an upgrade to ADSL2+, at 2km from the exchange my speed would probably double currently getting 6MB on ADSL...

I know what i would like to directly feed them ............. The internet bypasses Macroom unlike the friggin road to Kerry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Exchange green, but I'm still waiting for a line to go fiber on the line checker.

Preps expanding foam , one rubber hose, duct tape and a fook tonne of metal filings infused into expanding foam injector as it enters vdsl cab !!!!!! Dammit Dammit Dammit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Any of the legacy exchanges will get ADSL2+ automatically when they run the new backhaul to replace the old radios in preparation for VDSL. They'll have rakes of 2+ cards idle with the thousands moving to VDSL. In fact if naked VDSL becomes more popular urban exchanges could become very quiet places.

They'll have to before long anyway. The equipment suppliers aren't going to support TDM based 1980s voice and ISDN gear forever.
    A move to VoIP needs to happen soon regardless.

I foresee the PSTN phone network becoming totally irrelevant in 10 years. Mobiles are more practical and cheaper for voice anyway and other than businesses most people probably won't want landlines.

Our home office landline is VoIP and has been for a few years at this stage and I rarely use it . Most businesses are migrating away from analogue and ISDN towards VoIP too. Small businesses on fast broadband can completely avoid having to buy expensive phone systems and just use hosted PBX solutions - saves thousands and is way more flexible. Large businesses are replacing ISDN with SIP trunks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Praetorian wrote: »
    Exchange green, but I'm still waiting for a line to go fiber on the line checker.

Worrying for me is that numbers for companies all around me are going green for fiber.

Ok its piccy time I took some pics while out and about in Clonmel yesterday , ( What a day for it ) Actually getting out of the car and walking up closer I think these may be Eircom runs not sure , Possibly you lads in here will know the difference. ( The poles to me look eircom and not ESB)
    The runs for these two are about 2 miles apart and on a back road from clonmel to Cahir. Four lines on each pole and the top one is what i suspect to be fiber line on the right is coming from clonmel and line heading out to the left is towards Cahir.

More pics placed here as i do not believe these are ESB pics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I agree that they are Eircom poles and that it is fibre, but it could be for anything I suppose, exchange backhaul seems likely to me given the location, rather than any sort of FTTH.

• Advertisement

Pretty sure its fibre thats there. They've never been that tidy when wrapping copper loops up, they're usually just loosely run around a hook and taped. The reason to do what theyve done, as you know, is to keep the turn radius in check.

If thats a new run its so they can put somewhere onto NGN, or its an NGN failover.

Im in Cork, pics are of the clonmel area , likewise I havent seen as clean and tidy down here either. The whole lot all four lines dive into underground duct about 2-3 miles before hitting Cahir .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I've an ESB pole in my back garden and it's stay wires have the same yellow sleeves, so it's not exclusively an Eircom thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Just health and safety to help people see the guy wires and not walk into them. No harm really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I sent on the photos that dbit took near Clonmel to my local Eircom linesman (there are not many left). He has confirmed that this method is commonly used to provide Core fibre between exchanges where no underground route is available. The top cable is normally the fibre.

There is such a run between my village and the next one, so I'll go take a look with my camera the next time I'm out and put the piccys up here. :)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭mailsanchu

Got the following info from comreg

In this case(EVDSL), industry could not agree on the introduction of the proposed new service as there were concerns from a number of telecoms service providers regarding potential impacts on existing broadband customers. As agreement could not be reached ComReg intervened in order to avoid further delay and expedite the delivery of high speed services to end-users who are directly connected to an exchange and to ensure that there was minimum degradation to the service of existing customers.

ComReg engaged independent technical consultants in order to progress the matter and with ComReg’s input significant progress has been made and it is hoped that operators will agree to the introduction of new services in the coming weeks, with services being offered to end-users at some point after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Danny Boy

mailsanchu wrote: »
    Got the following info from comreg

In this case(EVDSL), industry could not agree on the introduction of the proposed new service as there were concerns from a number of telecoms service providers regarding potential impacts on existing broadband customers. As agreement could not be reached ComReg intervened in order to avoid further delay and expedite the delivery of high speed services to end-users who are directly connected to an exchange and to ensure that there was minimum degradation to the service of existing customers.

ComReg engaged independent technical consultants in order to progress the matter and with ComReg’s input significant progress has been made and it is hoped that operators will agree to the introduction of new services in the coming weeks, with services being offered to end-users at some point after that.

How long has that being going on for? what about all of the homes and businesses waiting on it -what about the impact on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭mailsanchu

Danny Boy wrote: »
    How long has that being going on for? what about all of the homes and businesses waiting on it -what about the impact on them?
    I understand you anger. I am angry too .. Just want to let you guys know this info i got from comreg

• Advertisement
Advertisement