Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

iPhone 5 battery flat?

• 04-08-2014 7:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,594 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, my iPhone 5 battery has been dodgy for a while now to say the least, as far back as November (when it was only 7 months old) it would sometimes die despite it being on 25-40%, this now regularly happens and I'd usually need to charge it before it reaches lower than 20% or it will die. The battery is also extremely quick to die, most days if I unplug it at 9am it will be dead by 6pm with only regular use.

This morning it died at around 15%, when I got home I went to charge it and the screen lit up with the picture saying to insert the charger, it flashed 3 times but then went dead again. It won't charge at all now, everytime I plug it into the plug or computer it just flashes the charging symbol and then dies.

Does anyone have any experience/knowledge of this? I'm assuming it's a faulty battery so is it just a matter of going into a phone repair store and getting a new battery or what would be the best bet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Potus

Hi. I'd suggest re calibrating the phone by using it until it shuts off and charging it to full, preferably without using it. It may be that it is not calibrated fully and thinks at 15% it's empty so shuts off. Not a really scientific answer but might sort it for you. If this won't work I'd be guessing it's a bad battery and if it is a new phone still in warranty then apple should replace the battery for you. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

mmmm

Mine seems to be draining the same very suddenly.

Will try the re-calibration thing

DT

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Potus

mmmm

Mine seems to be draining the same very suddenly.

Will try the re-calibration thing

DT

Also as the nuclear option you could do a full restore and set up as a new phone. This would involve reinstalling all your apps etc etc and you would loose all data so if you decide to do this make sure to backup the phone first to save photos vids and texts etc etc. if you don't do this you will loose them. At the east save them to you laptop or PC to have them saved somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭jellyboy

Have you apple care ?
    an extended warranty ?

i would be getting on to apples to see if they can provide a solution

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

jellyboy wrote: »
    Have you apple care ?
    an extended warranty ?

i would be getting on to apples to see if they can provide a solution

TBH, I would have done that 7 months ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭daz1988

I have had this problem over and over i found that once it starts doing this your batterys is already 30% gone so you have to start using the phone let it die give it 5 minutes plug the phone in and let it charge to 100% not over charge either keep an eye on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,594 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

It's still under warranty and I have the phone insured, but if I have to send the phone off to apple I won't have a phone for about 2 weeks. I'm thinking it would be handier just to have a new battery put into it for €30?

and what happens if the person putting the battery in makes a **** up warranty is void and insurance will say phone was tampered with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭kensutz

It's still under warranty and I have the phone insured, but if I have to send the phone off to apple I won't have a phone for about 2 weeks. I'm thinking it would be handier just to have a new battery put into it for €30?

If like you said in November it was 7 months old then that is making the phone to be 15-16 months old so your warranty is out. You only have 12 month warranty on the phone

kensutz wrote: »
    If like you said in November it was 7 months old then that is making the phone to be 15-16 months old so your warranty is out. You only have 12 month warranty on the phone

This is very true your insurance wont cover either unless it goes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,594 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

kensutz wrote: »

For some reason I assumed the warranty was 24 months, went into the store today to be told it was only 12 months. They said the insurance should cover it though, anyone know if there is a fee to pay or how it works? Never had to make a claim through an insurance company before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

If you're with vodafone they will cover it for 24 months.

Advertisement