Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New PC build to buy in around 1-2 years

• 04-08-2014 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

I am looking for a new PC build for 3D rendering, video editing, photoshop and gaming to buy in the future.

1. What is your budget? [Around €900 - €1500]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming (Sims 3, Watch Dogs & other latest games)/Video editing (After Effects)/Photoshop/Autodesk (Autocad, Revit & 3ds Max)/Internet]

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [No]

5. Do you need a monitor? [No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [24"]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1024x768] [Yes]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Card Reader, Wireless card]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [No]

8. How can you pay? [Credit Card/Laser/etc.]

9. When are you purchasing? [Around 1-2 years]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [Kerry]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Anything recommend will be way out of date by then. So, come back in 1-2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Noel_ags516

If I can afford a custom built PC now instead of waiting for 1-2 years, should I go for the latest Intel i5 and a mid-range Nvidia or AMD card or go for an i7, 16GB RAM and a GTX 780 or an R9 for future-proofing? Will an i5, 8GB memory and a mid-range Nvidia or AMD card be enough for gaming, video editing, Photoshop and Autodesk software?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

If I can afford a custom built PC now instead of waiting for 1-2 years, should I go for the latest Intel i5 and a mid-range Nvidia or AMD card or go for an i7, 16GB RAM and a GTX 780 or an R9 for future-proofing? Will an i5, 8GB memory and a mid-range Nvidia or AMD card be enough for gaming, video editing, Photoshop and Autodesk software?

Depends how seriously you're going to be video editing and doing cad

Which parts (power supply, motherboard, storage, etc.) will you recommend besides the i7 (or i5), GTX 770 (or GTX 750) or equivalent AMD card and 16GB of RAM for less than €1500 if I were to buy a custom built PC for CAD / 3D rendering, Photoshop, After Effects and gaming within 3 months time?

Processor:
    Intel i5-4670K - €203,76, or i7-4770k - €295,72

Graphics:
    Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 750 Ti - €125,83 (or AMD equivalent: Sapphire R7 260X - €109,19), or Asus Nvidia GTX 770 - €283,91 (or AMD equivalent: MSI R9 280 - €191,35)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭Recurve360

If you dont need it now hold off until you do and just get the latest hardware when available. In 2 years youll have brand new cpus and GPUs oin the market aswell as DDR4 memory, and most likely cheaper solid state drives and hybrid drives. If you need now fair enough but dont look for a spec if your not buying for 2 years as it will be completely obsolete if buying a new system.

• Advertisement

Anyway, I will rather wait for future hardware, processors, graphics cards and DDR4 memory in two years time instead of getting a custom built PC with today's specifications.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Anyway, I will rather wait for future hardware, processors, graphics cards and DDR4 memory in two years time instead of getting a custom built PC with today's specifications.

:confused:

By that logic you'd never buy anything.....ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭miece16

exactly what i was going to say. if you think that then you will never buy anything as new gear comes out every 8 months or so

Advertisement