Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to make for dinner guests?

• 04-08-2014 10:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭

Any suggestions what to cook for dinner for guests?

Was thinking of doing steaks but think it would be too difficult to cook to order and I'll end up as a sweaty mess.

Planning on serving a blue cheese wedge salad to start and strawberry cream slices for dessert followed by cheese.

I'll also have cocktails and canapes on arrival.

I'm not much good in the kitchen so would love a suggestion of something easy....

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

A pie of some type? All the prep could be done beforehand so you aren't stressing trying to entertain and cook. Fish pie and shepards pies are big winners when I have guests

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

A pie of some type? All the prep could be done beforehand so you aren't stressing trying to entertain and cook. Fish pie and shepards pies are big winners when I have guests

I was thinking of shepherds pie but to be honest I was hoping to make something more fancy.

I'm trying to impress (eeek!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,793 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Moved to Cooking & Recipes.

Hi OP - As we do not know your level of culinary competence, I would strongly suggest that you check out the recipes in The Cooking Club, & also both of the Here's What I Had For Dinner... threads. There's also the Easy Peasy & Random Recipes threads.

Best of luck,

tHB

Moved to Cooking & Recipes.

Hi OP - As we do not know your level of culinary competence, I would strongly suggest that you check out the recipes in The Cooking Club, & also both of the Here's What I Had For Dinner... threads. There's also the Easy Peasy & Random Recipes threads.

Best of luck,

tHB

Thanks HB, will do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,793 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Did you choose any dishes yet? If you need further help let us know.

• Advertisement

Did you choose any dishes yet? If you need further help let us know.

Still unsure! I'll keep you posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Beef Wellington?

Addle wrote: »
    Beef Wellington?

Oh that's a good idea!!

I might do a practice run this weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Here's a Mary Berry dinner party recipe for steak. You can prepare it all in advance and then just reheat the steaks in the oven.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/rib-eye_steak_with_33722

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭foodaholic

This beef Wellington recipe is great as you can have it ready to go into the oven the day before

http://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/food/recipes/2011/1012/2782-beef-wellington/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Rib eye roast. Essentially rib eye steaks in roast form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

You could try beef bourguignon or coq au vin or something. They are stews so you can do them the day before, but they have totally classy french names so everyone is invariably impressed. Also, extra wine!

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

dibkins wrote: »
    You could try beef bourguignon or coq au vin or something. They are stews so you can do them the day before, but they have totally classy french names so everyone is invariably impressed. Also, extra wine!

Beef Bourguignon is my go-to dinner party dish. So forgiving. Nearly best made the day before. Serve with some mashed potatoes or gratin dauphonoise and some green veg like green beans with some toasted almonds, and it's wolfed down!

Rachel Allen's version is tried-and-tested easy! http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/572386

Advertisement