Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a large increase in rent?

Options
  • 04-08-2014 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've been renting a lovely house in a nice part of Dublin for the past year. My lease is up in a month, and I was planning on renewing it. However, my landlord (who I live with and would be quite friendly with at this point) has just told me that the rent will be increased by €60 per month, so I'll now be paying €660 a month to share a 2 bedroom (lovely) house.

I really don't want to move out, but the jump in rent irks me. What do you think, do I need to get over myself, or is this indeed a big jump in rent?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Since you live with him surely you can ask why 60e. If he has av good reason then stay. If not then chose. But it's a PITA to find new accommodation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

cactusgal wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've been renting a lovely house in a nice part of Dublin for the past year. My lease is up in a month, and I was planning on renewing it. However, my landlord (who I live with and would be quite friendly with at this point) has just told me that the rent will be increased by €60 per month, so I'll now be paying €660 a month to share a 2 bedroom (lovely) house.

I really don't want to move out, but the jump in rent irks me. What do you think, do I need to get over myself, or is this indeed a big jump in rent?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Is what amounts to15 euro a week worth the hassle of moving out?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i am thinking that alot of rents are going to go up, people have to pay this new tax on the house which has come in in the past yr, also now with water charges and refuse not coming down, along with insurance also which are all costly, people will have to absorb these charges, so i guess since it is the people who are residing in the house that are using the water, and since the bill will be according to what the person uses, it would be better for landlords if it were a static bill so they could be sure of what is being charged,
    i would say that this is the real reason for the changes in rent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

I don't think it's unreasonable, if you were renting your own place, there's a good chance the rent would be going up at the end of your lease anyway. 10% isn't huge

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i think the government did not think these water charges through enough, now people will have to guess water charges that they have to up the rent, instead if if they had a static price at an affordable price for everyone this is going to make it harder on those who cannot afford to buy a home, so now there will be big hikes in rent, lots of people will not be able to afford to rent either, a tough call

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The only thing you should compare this to is the cost of similar accommodation in another house. Jump on DAFT and do some research, that will tell you if it's a large jump or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

goat2 wrote: »
    i think the government did not think these water charges through enough, now people will have to guess water charges that they have to up the rent, instead if if they had a static price at an affordable price for everyone this is going to make it harder on those who cannot afford to buy a home, so now there will be big hikes in rent, lots of people will not be able to afford to rent either, a tough call

Like electricity and gas water is to be billed per consumption. Take a meter reading we now know the price per litre. If you don't have a meter you know the annual charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

As Mrs O'Bumble said, the only way to know if it's reasonable is to compare similar properties in your area. If you can get the same quality situation for a lesser price, talk to your landlord and point out that they're asking more than the going rate. But if €660 is the average for a house share in the vicinity then your options are to pay it, try to negotiate it down a bit, or move somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

Property taxes warrant rent increase but ask about impending water rates, if rent covers all that you might have a fair deal on your hands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

cactusgal wrote: »
    a lovely house in a nice part of Dublin
    I think I've found the problem. Pay it or move out. He'll have no issue with replacing you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement