Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone have a baby "born in the caul"

Options
  • 04-08-2014 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭

Just been reading it up and its apparently 1 in 80,000 babies are born this way.. And loads of different meanings across the board from lucky to Been psychic and so on..

Am all curious now as to how many know someone or have been through this expieriance themselves?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

It's a bit of amniotic sac that sticks to the baby.

Wouldn't think it luckier or unluckier.

My second child was born with thick vernix layer all over her. That WAS lucky, great moisturising, her skin is fab.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

That's one type of caul but my little one was born in the full amniotic sack and all her waters... Its so rare all the staff were in to see her the hour after she was born everyone wanted to meet her..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

I was born not still in the waters but with the sac stuck to me. It's supposed to be lucky. I never really thought about it before but I realise now that since I have settled down in the last few years, every time something bad has happened to me, it has, in effect, caused something really good to happen :)

I like that.. I think Lucy is different to a lot of babies I know she's so calm and since been born has been a great sleeper I just put her in the cot and close the door.. So easy going maybe the birthing experience was easier in her case

• Registered Users Posts: 15,021 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

My auntie was born with a caul back in the late 1940's or so.

I'm told that my granny kept it in a jar for years and had a sailor call to the house one night offering a good bit of money for it because it's supposed to protect the owner from drowning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 maj206

Bill Cullen was born in a caul, i read his book for a college assignment couple of years ago (great read by the way) his mother and granny also believed this was very lucky and they too sold it to a sailor and made lots of money from it when times were very hard! u could say Bill was lucky built up a business from nothing and never even finished national school........
    hope ur little girl is lucky in life too

Yea I've heard many stories of how lucky she will be based on all other babies born that way.. I will say it was slightly harder birth mainly because I was pushing but harder to get like traction if you will and when contraction was gone I was back to square 1 but got there in the end..

It was never seen in the hospital she was born in by any who worked there.. Maybe from staff 20 or 30 years ago but none around now to ask

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

My father in law was born with a caul. Like Blay said it's meant to be lucky and protect against drowning. One of my FIL's brothers had also been born with the caul, and his mum knew the story so she kept the caul for him, but the midwife threw out my FIL's caul and his mum was raging ;) He's a fisherman now, so not sure if the caul had any bearing on his career choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

This is a bit of a negative one, but it is true. When my mother was pregnant with me, her friend had a baby that was born with a caul. She was always telling my mother how lucky her daughter would be. Anyway, she was the first baby that my mother knew who died because of what was given at the time as cot death. I wouldn't (nor would my mother be superstitious) but apparently her friend just refused to accept that her daughter could have died because she was so lucky. Very sad. I met the family years (over a decade later) and that poor woman was still going on about how she didn't understand how her lucky little girl died but I lived. :-(

Yea lucy's was thrown away but we hadn't heard of this before. Not sure I'd have kept it anyway... But it was cool to see kinda an insight to what she was like in there.. Its cramped lol

• Advertisement
Advertisement