Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Spoilers** Series 8, Episode 1 - "Deep Breath"

Options
  • 04-08-2014 10:50pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm bored, so figured on getting the episode threads started early - sure there's less than 3 weeks 'til kick-off ;)

Usually with these threads, I add some trailers for the episode, but as there are none specific to this one just yet, I'll stick up the teaser / flavour trailers released.

Honestly, part of me is excited about a new season and new Doctor, while the other part is worried the quoted 'darker' direction this new incarnation will take might alienate or jar too much with the hitherto ... jauntier portrayals. Smith and Tennant had their dark moments but generally had a playful edge as well, so I hope Capaldi's Doc isn't entirely grump & moodiness.

I'm also curious to see what Ben Wheatley brings to the direction, I think he's the first 'proper' cinema director to take charge of a New-Who story, and is nothing if not an eclectic choice given some of the material he has helmed (last thing of his I watched was A Field in England, which was ... curious, shall we say)

Roll on the 23rd: what are others' thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Mainly, I'm happy it looks like something different. I'm worried how the more... er... casual fans may interpret the new direction though.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

Mainly, I'm happy it looks like something different. I'm worried how the more... er... casual fans may interpret the new direction though.

yes. I'm really looking forwards to seeing this as well. Peter Capaldi's doctor is going to be so different from all the other doctors so I can't wait to see how this pans out.

Series 8 from what I've seen and heard from elsewhere on in is apparently going to be similar in style to classic Doctor Who. Also, Series 8, Episode 1, "Deep Breath" is apparently going to be a feature-length episode too!

I really really can't wait!

Roll on August 23rd!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

There's an episode-specific trailer out, see below! I think I spot where the budget went anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

I wonder will the phrase "Deep Breath" be this Doctor's catch phrase: "Fantastic!", "Allons-Y!", "Geronimo!" "Deep Breath!" It wouldn't be half bad, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    I wonder will the phrase "Deep Breath" be this Doctor's catch phrase: "Fantastic!", "Allons-Y!", "Geronimo!" "Deep Breath!" It wouldn't be half bad, IMO.

Maybe. We'll just have to wait and see. Apparently the theme of Series 8 is going to be "Doctor Who: Into Darkness," (i.e. more to do with the darker side of the doctor).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This is pretty neat: apparently the official titles for the new series will be a spruced-up version of a sequence created by a fan of the show.

http://www.avclub.com/article/new-doctor-who-title-sequence-was-originally-desig-208190

Billy Hanshaw is a freelance motion-graphics designer [...] After Capaldi’s casting as the new Doctor Who star was announced in 2013, Hanshaw was inspired to spend a month putting together a mockup of a new title sequence “to challenge myself,” he said on his website. After he posted it to YouTube, it quickly went viral, garnering more than 700,000 hits and writeups from Radio Times, Huffington Post, and other media sites. It eventually attracted the notice of showrunner Steven Moffat, who liked it well enough to ask the BBC’s graphics department to make an official version based on Hanshaw’s work.

And here's the sequence made by Hanshaw:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,923 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Tempted to go see it in the cinema... but think I marginally more excited for the 50th.

Probably will though tbh!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Yay tomorrow! I

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

Ready to rock!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

I watched that youtube fan made sequence yesterday but last night had a dream where the new opening credits for Dr Who was just like the opening credits for Home and Away circa '97 with the same cheesy music. I was thinking that this isn't going to go down well with the fans. Maybe too much cheese before bed last night.

Anyway looking forward to it tomorrow.

How many episodes in this series?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

pixelburp wrote: »
    This is pretty neat: apparently the official titles for the new series will be a spruced-up version of a sequence created by a fan of the show.

And here's the sequence made by Hanshaw:
    Well just speaking for myself, I hope they use the same or similar theme music. IMH the Ecclestone and Tennant theme music really nailed it and improved upon the original, but the Smith theme was decidedly lacklustre musically.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I watched that youtube fan made sequence yesterday but last night had a dream where the new opening credits for Dr Who was just like the opening credits for Home and Away circa '97 with the same cheesy music. I was thinking that this isn't going to go down well with the fans. Maybe too much cheese before bed last night.

Anyway looking forward to it tomorrow.

How many episodes in this series?

1\12 according to the sky planner :)

Tempted to go to the cinema tonight. I'll be on my tod though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

"It just laid an egg."

He's a bright one, isn't he :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Very quiet in here. Is everybody at the cinema or is it pants?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I assumed most have gone to the cinema. I'm enjoying the episode at any rate.

Well, I didn't see that one coming.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

That was all levels of awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I didn't really like the episode to be honest,
    Matt Smith's cameo appearance at the end
    was the best part of the episode. I'm not entirely sold on Peter Capaldi as new doctor just yet but I am willing to give him a chance and I hope this season will get a lot better.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Rather Meh. Whilst nice to see the Victorian era yet again, the plot progression seem to be fairly uneven and the new Dr. seemed to be unsure what sort of initial impression to create. It did not have the same impact of the Matt Smith intro.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

That was interesting. I really don't know if I like the new Doctor or not. But I guess that's mostly because he was pretty out of it for the whole episode, it's still very hard to know what he'll actually be like. He had some brilliant lines though, so it's looking kind of promising.

I'm not sure about the new opening credits either, but I think they could grow on me too.

Some new mysteries raised as well. I'm guessing that he gave himself that face to lead him back to Pompeii for some reason. And then there's the Doctor's girlfriend in "Heaven" at the end, which I don't think we've had any other clues about yet?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I liked his first outing. Different tone anyway. Like a weird cross between Baker and Ecclestones docs with extra moral ambiguity. I found him a bit frenzied, finding his voice, but it'll be interesting to see him grow into the part.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Interesting episode. Peter is new to the role, so I have little issue with him being a bit sluggish.

Nobody really liked the new Doctors when they start, Matt Smith being a fine example, thousands of people hated him at first but he really grew into the role, Peter should too.

Nice to see hunts at a new big plot in the works, curious who the new girlfriend could be.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I enjoyed that. Way too early to judge Capaldi's Doctor as the Doctor himself is trying to establish who he is (see what I did there?). He needs to ground himself. I like the glimpses we've seen, including the darker side (pushing someone out to their apparent death).

The clock work robots are reprised from "The Girl in the Fireplace", from Season 26 (Season 2 to some here). There he flirted with Madame de Pompadour, who gets mentioned here. She seemed to have fallen in love with him so I'm guessing that's her at the end.

Manach wrote: »
    It did not have the same impact of the Matt Smith intro.
    Funny how peeps differ. :) I found it way more solid than Smiths intro. I really didn't dig the latter until well into it and even though he got way better in my eyes I never really got a sense of gravitas from him. Then again my fave docs of all were the ones with an undercurrent of real ambiguity to them. The dangerous ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭nuttyboy79

I'm kind of in the meh camp here they stretched it out to be feature length while the story was only episode length if you get my drift.
    Smiths
    cameo was to me a message from the writers to all the little "he's too old" fan girls to give it a chance maybe though I'm reading to much into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

ixoy wrote: »
    I enjoyed that. Way too early to judge Capaldi's Doctor as the Doctor himself is trying to establish who he is (see what I did there?). He needs to ground himself. I like the glimpses we've seen, including the darker side (pushing someone out to their apparent death).

The clock work robots are reprised from "The Girl in the Fireplace", from Season 26 (Season 2 to some here). There he flirted with Madame de Pompadour, who gets mentioned here. She seemed to have fallen in love with him so I'm guessing that's her at the end.

Didn't cop the madame du pompadour thing until it was mentioned. I sat up and himself just said "how didn't you see that coming??"

Really enjoyed it, some very funny lines. Loved the reference to Amy!

Will be interesting to see how it continues but I really liked that ep.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Delivered the goods for me. Always helps to have a good actor.

I liked the whole exchange:
    Doc; I'm not your boyfriend. Clara; I never said you were. Doc; I didn't say it was your mistake. [paraphrasing]
    That said I was surprised the director picked that take as his response was very muffled and rushed. Needed to be slowed down IMH.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Loved the ambiguity in the doctors speech to the robot at the end. Ahem cross out ambiguity and replace with duality, it was clearly intended to be applicable to both of them.

Some good lines, I'll be using 'these are attack eyebrows' myself. Some poor plotting but I suppose they are setting the Capaldi story arch up as well as trying to introduce a new Dr and tell tonight's story so I'll let it go.
    I got the robots from 'girl in the fireplace' early on and I'm wondering if the 'promised land' is the place Amy grew old in, in The Girl Who Waited?
    We shall see!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

"My captain my captain" was very apt.

I liked the episode, I liked the nods to the Pompeii appearance, the mdme pomp. Reference, the questioning stuff fans have questions for ages. As for the end, had me sobbing again.
    Tom baker was my first Dr., but surprisingly Matt was MY Dr. No matter how skeptical I was at first.

Advertisement