Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixed or variable rate on personal loan?

Options
  • 04-08-2014 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

Hi all. Any advantage in one or the other on a personal loan? Just not quite sure which is the best option at this point I'm time though I'm told interest rate hikes on a 10k loan won't dramatically affect the monthly repayments. Any help appreciated.

DH

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Hi all. Any advantage in one or the other on a personal loan? Just not quite sure which is the best option at this point I'm time though I'm told interest rate hikes on a 10k loan won't dramatically affect the monthly repayments. Any help appreciated.

DH

A Fixed rate "protects" you against the interest rate rising during the term of the loan, but this protection comes at a cost, the rate will be slightly higher than the variable rate at the time you take out the loan, and there will normally be penalties for clearing the loan early. Also if the rates fall, you do not benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Darkest Horse

A Fixed rate "protects" you against the interest rate rising during the term of the loan, but this protection comes at a cost, the rate will be slightly higher than the variable rate at the time you take out the loan, and there will normally be penalties for clearing the loan early. Also if the rates fall, you do not benefit.

That's great, which would you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

its a gamble, you've to make the call yourself. I always go variable - but I've been stung with rate rises in the past..

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Darkest Horse

jameshayes wrote: »
    its a gamble, you've to make the call yourself. I always go variable - but I've been stung with rate rises in the past..

How stung? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Go variable. Fixed is only lining the pockets of the bank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Go variable. Fixed is only lining the pockets of the bank.

Loans at fixed rates allow the banks to issue bonds at fixed rates (over a given number of years) to savers, that's why there's a penalty for paying the loan off early.

OP, you left out an important fact which has a major bearing on the decision to go fixed or variable - the loan duration. If it's four years or less I'd go variable.

Even on a four or five year loan, if rates start to go up in three years, you'll still be ahead and at that stage you may have spare cash to pay the loan off early to avoid the higher rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

If I knew what the rates would be in 3/4 years, I would not be on boards posting :)

Rates seem to be low and not showing much inclination to rise in the short term, so variable seem (for a 2/3 year) loan the better option, but it is a gamble...

Advertisement