Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Blackrock Photos

Options
  • 05-08-2014 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi guys,

I just booked my accommodation for Blackrock (that's all there was available for me) coming from Australia. I was wondering if you guys could give me some feedback and possibly photos of the room and what to expect, this way I know if it's worth bringing stuff like a pillow or whatever.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

As far as I remember you'll need to bring a pillow, duvet and covers. It's about a 15-20 minute cycle from Belfield and on campus for Smurfit. I'd get a bike if I were you because the bus isn't very reliable. The room is decently sized, has a sink and a desk. There are a number of kitchens and you'll be assigned one based on your room number - you'll share it with a few others.

Any other questions just fire away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭UCDCritic

I know a guy who lived there and said the heating was very bad, something because the buildings are old. Maybe that was just where he was staying, maybe things have changed since.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 5teve

Thanks for your response guys very much appreciated! I am a bit of a fitness junkie so I don't mind walking 30-60 minutes each way.

Whats the party atmosphere like at Blackrock compared to other accommodation ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 pacni

I haven't actually lived in Blackrock before but know a bit about it...

It's on the smaller UCD campus and from what I've heard has a lot of international students. It is usually thought of as the most quiet because it is so much smaller than the others and has traditional dorm style bedrooms instead of apartments like some of the others. Having said that, apparently it has a great sense of community because everybody shares the living areas and it's small enough that you get to know each other (at least to see).

I remember finding pictures on a French blog of an international student living there but I can't seem to find it again...

In any case I'm going to be there next year too so I'll probably see you about!

Found it!

http://nymphae.over-blog.com/article-12629638.html

On another one of her posts she has a picture of the bedroom

http://nymphae.over-blog.com/article-12311382.html

(I've put spaces in the links because I'm a new user)

• Advertisement

awesome! thanks for that

do you know which accommodation would have the most party vibe about it ? I might consider putting myself on the transfer list

I doubt putting yourself on the transfer list will get you moved considering the majority of people in Blackrock don't actually want to be there and are all on the transfer list (other than people with classes in Blackrock). It's usually the last place left with space available so people take it out of desperation.

Merville and Belgrove usually get the reputation for the most 'party' residences. Although, residences in general in UCD are very strict and are quick to fine you for having "unauthorised gatherings". It isn't like student halls in the likes of England where everybody goes crazy and there are parties every night in the communal areas. There are RAs (Residential Assistants) on duty every night to make sure that noise/parties aren't an issue. As well as this, a lot of Irish students go home for the weekends because nowhere in Ireland is really too far to get to that it wouldn't be worth it for the weekend, meaning the residences are a bit quiet at the weekend. In fact, as an international student, Blackrock might be better in this regard because there are more international students so more people about at the weekends.

excellent inside! thanks bud :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement