Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What hotels do Topdeck use in Galway?

Options
  • 05-08-2014 3:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭

Hi Boardsies

A friend of mine (Aussie) is taking a Topdeck tour of Britain and Ireland which involves a 2-night stopover in Galway with free time.

I'm trying to put her an itinerary together for her free time in the city but she doesn't know what hotels she's staying at yet so can't factor in travel time/taxis etc

Anyone working in hospitality in the region know which hotels the company use? City centre or suburbs?

Any ideas would be appreciated! She travels in October if that helps!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Never heard of this company, but a lot of similar crowds use Glenlo Abbey which is about three miles out.
    Great reports about the hotel but people have been a bit surprised about the distance from town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

All the info is here but they don't say what hotel they will be using, two or three star according to the website.

Give them a call.

https://www.topdeck.travel/tours/celtic-trail

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Thanks guys

She called them but they wouldn't give her any names as 'hotels fluctuate depending on season and they will be finalised closer to the date'.

2-3 stars would rule out any of the city centre ones like radisson or jury's I'm guessing?

I'd just hate for her to be stuck out somewhere like claregalway for two days. Was hoping someone working in a hotel in the city might be able to tell me Topdeck tours have been known to stay there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

2-3 stars rules out Glenlo abbey too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Maybe the Clybaun? They seem to have a lot of bus tours and it's a 3 star.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Batgurl wrote: »
    Hi Boardsies

A friend of mine (Aussie) is taking a Topdeck tour of Britain and Ireland which involves a 2-night stopover in Galway with free time.

I'm trying to put her an itinerary together for her free time in the city but she doesn't know what hotels she's staying at yet so can't factor in travel time/taxis etc

Anyone working in hospitality in the region know which hotels the company use? City centre or suburbs?

Any ideas would be appreciated! She travels in October if that helps!

Galway is small the travel time won't throw your timings out my much

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

The Ardilaun maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,152 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

vicwatson wrote: »
    The Ardilaun maybe?
    4 *

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Galway is small the travel time won't throw your timings out my much

Haha I'm gone from Galway a while but I'd say it's fairly likely that the bus service is still crap and traffic on a wet Autumns day will be even worse so I just want to have her prepped for what to expect.

Coming all the way from Australia, I'd just hate to think of her staying in some crappy motel in an industrial estate in the burbs having to get taxis in and out when I have lots of friends in the city centre who would happily put her up for the night.

And on that note, what recommendations would u have that would show Galway off to its finest? She desperately wants to see the quad at NUIG as she thinks it's so far removed from anything here plus sparch and the old city walls.

Other suggests appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I see a lot of Paddywagon tour buses pulled up outside the Western Hotel at Prospect hill in the mornings collecting people so maybe there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Flannery's Hotel in Renmore gets loads of bus tours.

They are 3 star. Could be a contender.

Are there any 2 star hotels in Galway? Can't think of any off hand.

3 Stars around the town who regularly do bus tours may be The Connacht, The Eyre Sq Hotel, The Imperial, The Victoria, The Pillo and The Menlo Park.

aw wrote: »
    Flannery's Hotel in Renmore gets loads of bus tours.

They are 3 star. Could be a contender.

Are there any 2 star hotels in Galway? Can't think of any off hand.

3 Stars around the town who regularly do bus tours may be The Connacht, The Eyre Sq Hotel, The Imperial, The Victoria, The Pillo and The Menlo Park.

Pillo is 4* too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Coming all the way from Australia, I'd just hate to think of her staying in some crappy motel in an industrial estate in the burbs having to get taxis in and out when I have lots of friends in the city centre who would happily put her up for the night!

The closest we have to that are the student villages, and by October they will be full of students.
    By October I'd guess it will be a city centre hotel, one of the ones listed.

And in fairness, though the itinerary says "Free time", it's unlikely to be all that much time, and the tour will have suggested activities.

If the city walking tours are still running, do one of them. But they may not be by October.

Other suggestions:

St Nicholas church is a definite just for its age.

The museum - locals generally think it's naff, but there is some interesting stuff, plus a great view of the Claddagh.

Claddagh Ring Museum, opposite Neachtins.

And while she's there, Neachtins is a tourist attraction in itself. (Former town-house of Humanity Dick)

Salthill - for a laugh at what the locals regard as a great beach / walk.

Walk around the canals for a peek at what the city used to be like. (this is best with a guide, but if she's got a good sense of direction she might find her way around)

Free walking tours starting at the skeff run all year long.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Haha I'm gone from Galway a while but I'd say it's fairly likely that the bus service is still crap and traffic on a wet Autumns day will be even worse so I just want to have her prepped for what to expect.

Traffic is still crap but the bus service is pretty good.

Advertisement