Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy toys ----flirt pole

• 05-08-2014 3:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭

Hi

My dog has lots of balls, squeaky toys, kong, tunnels, maze game, ropes and rubber toys. I have been looking into getting her some new toys, different toys really and came across a "flirt pole". According to the internet it can to be used to train dog for dog fights and stuff like that. To me they look like a good toy that would give lots of extra exercise to my dog. I am just wondering your thoughts on this?

M

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

What age is the pup - you don't want it jumping around too much after a flirt pole on soft bones and joints imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Like tk said, age is an important factor if you're wanting to do some harder physical exercise with your dog. A flirt pole is also something you have to train your dog to use properly, specifically release/leave it/go sort of commands, often the flirt poles you can buy are quite flimsy so you can't have your dog pulling on it or running away with the toy. They're good for dogs that have an urge to chase, but if your dog doesn't already chase birds/small moving things you might be teaching them to do so if they end up having so much fun playing with you and the flirt pole lol.

Are you worried you would be encouraging your dog to do things you don't want him/her to do? I personally think if you train your dog to use a flirt pole properly it teaches them self control as well as wears them out a bit.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

Advertisement