Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed on US Visa

Options
  • 05-08-2014 7:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Morning all,

I recently applied for a one year graduate visa because my mothers cousin has offered me a once in a lifetime internship at a well known film company. I applied for the one year work graduate visa and my college was listed in the application. I then get sent an email with the next stage of the application the following day but did not apply as I was too tired from an early shift in the airport I had fallen asleep. I woke up around 1am to another email saying I wasn't applicable and that my college isn't recognised.

I don't know what to do now as I have friends from my college and course that got visas and this internship could get me any job I could ever want. It's too big of an opportunity to pass by and I was wondering if there was any information that people could give me. It would be greatly appreciated and you could all help me out a lot with your advice. Basicaly I am curious to know what is the best way to go about applying for the visas and what sites can I use. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Morning all,

I recently applied for a one year graduate visa because my mothers cousin has offered me a once in a lifetime internship at a well known film company. I applied for the one year work graduate visa and my college was listed in the application. I then get sent an email with the next stage of the application the following day but did not apply as I was too tired from an early shift in the airport I had fallen asleep. I woke up around 1am to another email saying I wasn't applicable and that my college isn't recognised.

I don't know what to do now as I have friends from my college and course that got visas and this internship could get me any job I could ever want. It's too big of an opportunity to pass by and I was wondering if there was any information that people could give me. It would be greatly appreciated and you could all help me out a lot with your advice. Basicaly I am curious to know what is the best way to go about applying for the visas and what sites can I use. Thanks

Where did you apply? Who sent the email? Who did your friend go through if they were successful?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

What a bizarre story! What college was it? Pretty much all the public colleges are eligible, as long as you have a degree completed before you go?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Ewa24

Have you asked advice from the agency you went through to get the visa ie. GoForLess, USIT, etc.? I booked with USIT and they were good to give me advice about other peoples experiences and loop holes to get a visa. What college did they not recognise?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 CheesusCrust93

Hi guys thanks so much for responding to me. I was in colaiste Dhulaigh and have one more year there until I get my BA. My course is the only course that do a BA there .. A woman names melonie from USIT sent an email to me directly saying I can't apply and thy was after I got sent the application form. It just doesn't make sense because I have an internship at the Dreamworks office in New York and can't go. I had no idea how to I about it I'll check out the other site but I just thought there might be someone who can shed some light on the situation as it is not as if I am going to move abroad with nothing planned. I messages my friend who is in colaiste Dhulaigh but haven't received a reply yet. There is multiple people from the college over there now working and according to the woman from usit I can't apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Hi guys thanks so much for responding to me. I was in colaiste Dhulaigh and have one more year there until I get my BA. My course is the only course that do a BA there .. A woman names melonie from USIT sent an email to me directly saying I can't apply and thy was after I got sent the application form. It just doesn't make sense because I have an internship at the Dreamworks office in New York and can't go. I had no idea how to I about it I'll check out the other site but I just thought there might be someone who can shed some light on the situation as it is not as if I am going to move abroad with nothing planned. I messages my friend who is in colaiste Dhulaigh but haven't received a reply yet. There is multiple people from the college over there now working and according to the woman from usit I can't apply.

If you haven't got your degree yet you can't apply for the scheme as you're not a graduate?

• Advertisement

athtrasna wrote: »
    If you haven't got your degree yet you can't apply for the scheme as you're not a graduate?

The final year is a "top up" year when I spoke to the customer service they said I could still do it as long I had passed the years I was there and still got all the forms and everything. I just wasn't sure since I had explained it to them and still got everything then a sudden no off them. That's why I'm curious is there any other way of going about getting a visa to work abroad.

Sorry for all the late replies everyone my phone is not the greatest in the world thanks guys

The final year is a "top up" year when I spoke to the customer service they said I could still do it as long I had passed the years I was there and still got all the forms and everything. I just wasn't sure since I had explained it to them and still got everything then a sudden no off them. That's why I'm curious is there any other way of going about getting a visa to work abroad.

Sorry for all the late replies everyone my phone is not the greatest in the world thanks guys

Doesn't seem to me that you can if you're on a BA course that's not completed yet.

http://dublin.usembassy.gov/mobile//j1/j1-visa-program---twelve-month-intern-work-and-travel-pilot-program.html

I'm mainly looking for an alternative route into acquiring a visa as usit won't take me I know and I appreciate everyone's comments and help so far you've all been very helpful thanks

I'm mainly looking for an alternative route into acquiring a visa as usit won't take me I know and I appreciate everyone's comments and help so far you've all been very helpful thanks

There really isn't one. There are hundreds of threads here with people asking how to get a working visa for the US and while they do exist, they are very specific, have to be organised by the employer in the US and cost about $5,000 (which must be paid by the employer).

Can you delay the internship for 12 months until you're eligible for the graduate visa option?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

What is a top up year? Is it post graduate work you are doing after your BA, or do you already have your BA?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Ewa24

You should get a second opinion for why you can't apply from a different USIT branch or GoForLess and do it in person. I find USIT student branches ie on college campus' much better. I went to a USIT in Limerick City and they were useless compared to USIT in the University of Limerick. USIT in Lim. city actually turned me off it until I followed up with UL.
    Anyway, definitely get a second opinion and make sure you say you have a Level 8 Bachelors Degree. You should be eligible. There are actually two types of Visas for the 12 month Internship, one where you have the job before going to the US and the other is when you don't have a job but you have three months to search for a job whilst in the US.
    Best of luck, I hope it works out for you.

Ewa24 wrote: »
    Anyway, definitely get a second opinion and make sure you say you have a Level 8 Bachelors Degree.

From my reading of this the OP doesn't have a degree. Most courses in this college are diploma level but this course is designed to take you to a BA by completing an extra year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

If your internship is unpaid you could get a B visa for 6 months or a year but you wouldn't have the right to work. Dreamworks could sponsor your for a H1-B visa but this process costs and also requires applying before April 1st 2015 and then going into a lottery where you have a 50-50 chance of getting the visa. If you are successful you could then start work on oct 1st 2015.

If you don't have your degree yet I don't think you can get a 12 month J-1 but you could still get a 3 month summer J-1.

Maybe talk to someone at Dreamworks. These companies usually have legal department who handle immigration visas and they might know of other visa options. I think there is one specific to the entertainment industry but I am not sure.

Best of luck!

Advertisement