Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to do in Dublin - recommendations please!

Options
  • 05-08-2014 7:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭

My sister in law is over from Paris with her hubby from the 12th to 16th of September.

They've asked me round come up with some recommendations of what they could do in Dublin over the days.
    They'll be travelling around the city on foot.

The Storehouse is an obvious one, as is a bus tour around the city, but which one is best?

I'm thinking of suggesting kayaking on the Liffey, the Liffey boat cruise (the red one), a walking tour (no idea which one's best but I love listening to the Hidden History fella on Newstalk Breakfast).

What do you suggest? Are there any open air festivals etc on? I'm sure they wouldn't mind jumping on the DART if there's something cool in Dun Laoghaire or Howth.
    I think DL has open air movies, but need to confirm films being shown.

Let me have it, people! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

AltAccount wrote: »
    My sister in law is over from Paris with her hubby from the 12th to 16th of September.

They've asked me round come up with some recommendations of what they could do in Dublin over the days.

The Storehouse is an obvious one, as is a bus tour around the city, but which one is best?

I'm thinking of suggesting kayaking on the Liffey, the Liffey boat cruise (the red one), a walking tour (no idea which one's best but I love listening to the Hidden History fella on Newstalk Breakfast).

What do you suggest? Are there any open air festivals etc on? I'm sure they wouldn't mind jumping on the DART if there's something cool in Dun Laoghaire or Howth.

The leprechaun museum is quite unique

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

The leprechaun museum is quite unique

I always presumed that was kinda "shur and begorrah" Irish, is it actually worth going to? Might find some gems in this for myself also!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,734 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Take a trip on the 44 to Enniskerry and maybe visit Powerscourt.

It's a lovely trip.

You can return via Bray using the 185 and the DART.

The services on the 185 timetable that serve Enniskerry are the following:
    - any buses with no symbol
    - any buses with a "c", "v", "t" or an "r" beside them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

I'd scrap the guides, go out along the sea on the Strand Road in Sutton, and start walking the cliff walk from this path here, just before the Martello tower on the coast around by the Baily lighthouse and up to Balscaddan carpark overlooking Lambay island and down into Howth looking over Ireland's Eye (you can get a boat out to it). Yesterday, while the waves were crashing against the rocks, the purple and yellow heather all across the hills combined with the streams flowing down the hills into the sea made it more like somewhere in Donegal. There is nowhere in all of Dublin as stunningly beautiful as it. Nowhere.

(If you're stuck for time or a bit lazy, you can park your car at the Strand Road entrance, walk along the cliffs up to Balscaddan car park, and get a taxi via Hailo back to your car. It cost a couple of us €12 to that before. The walk from the Martello tower to Balscaddan carpark took 3 hours at a very leisurely pace - we went swimming. We met only about 40 people, most of whom seemed to have been from continental Europe, on the whole walk yesterday, despite the amazing weather.)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,734 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

gaiscioch wrote: »
    I'd scrap the guides, go out along the sea on the Strand Road in Sutton, and start walking the cliff walk from this path here, just before the Martello tower on the coast around by the Baily lighthouse and up to Balscaddan carpark overlooking Lambay island and down into Howth looking over Ireland's Eye (you can get a boat out to it). Yesterday, while the waves were crashing against the rocks, the purple and yellow heather all across the hills combined with the streams flowing down the hills into the sea made it more like somewhere in Donegal. There is nowhere in all of Dublin as stunningly beautiful as it. Nowhere.

(If you're stuck for time or a bit lazy, you can park your car at the Strand Road entrance, walk along the cliffs up to Balscaddan car park, and get a taxi via Hailo back to your car. It cost a couple of us €12 to that before. The walk from the Martello tower to Balscaddan carpark took 3 hours at a very leisurely pace - we went swimming. We met only about 40 people, most of whom seemed to have been from continental Europe, on the whole walk yesterday, despite the amazing weather.)

Or even better - take the 31a to Strand Road to start the walk - you get the benefit of superb views from the top deck as it goes around Howth Head.

You can pick up the 31 or 31a back from Howth Summit or Howth Village.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

A spin to the Phoenix park is a must, combine with a trip into Collins Barracks to the National Museum of Ireland

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

The Viking splash is a MUST, great craic.
    Glasnevin cemetery tour, kilmainham gaol, national museum, Guinness hopstore, Collins barracks and the zoo are some more ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

AltAccount wrote: »

The Glasnevin graves tour (actually there are at least two of them - I did the main one, not the 1916 one even though we did get to see a fantastic reenactment of Pearse's 1915 oration at Ó Donnabháin Rossa's graveside) was highly recommended to me by loads of people. I did it a month or so ago, and it was brilliant. Poor old Parnell, buried on top of thousands of cholera victims... Or the unexplained deaths in the area shortly after the mass grave was dug for the cholera victims (they finally realised that the disease from the bodies had seeped into underground water supplies)... Or the lion tamer who put his head in the lion... or the grave robbers and how it's not illegal to rob dead bodies as they're not property.... Just brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

Wow, there's a fairly serious list there, thanks all! I'll get researching links and prices I can email to her.

Any more gems?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭mdolly123

Thought the storehouse was poor value for money and the point seems to get to the top and have a pint, recommend viking splash as it is fun although a bit rubbish at the same time. The Hop-on Hop-off sightseeing tour is good and I'm a dub. there is good banter from the drivers and it will totally pass the day with interesting points along the tour, just beware of admission prices to some attractions. The Ghost Bus was OK but it is pure theatre onboard and not scary and the places of interest were not all that interesting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭butters.scotch

Stadium tour of Croke Park and walk on top of the roof?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Stadium tour of Croke Park and walk on top of the roof?

Did that for one of kids birthdays. Highly recommended. The guide we had was excellent, really knew her stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Andrew Flexing

great suggestions above!!!
    BUT is there something that you wish Dublin had but doesn't??? I'd be interested to see what people suggest for more tourist ideas for things that we cant currently do here in the city...

my URBAN EXPLORATION YouTube channel: https://www.facebook.com/ASMRurbanexploration/

Advertisement