Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food in melbourne

Options
  • 05-08-2014 8:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

Already been to some very nice spots for food, can anyone here give me some personal recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Already been to some very nice spots for food, can anyone here give me some personal recommendations?

Any specific suburbs or price range?

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭sin_city

France sois in South Yarra is good.

Others...Santa Ana in St Kilda and Remy on Glenferrie rd are ok Spanish/Latin places

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

have a look on urbanspoon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

No idea if it's the kind of vibe you're looking for but La Roche on Acland Street in St Kilda do great food and have specials on every day, including drink specials. Loved that spot, one of the things I miss about Melbourne!

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

Sapore in St Kilda, Portello Rosso and Chin Chin in the city are all top notch. Chin Chin don't take bookings though so prepare for a 2/3hr wait or go on a Sunday around 5pm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

looking for a good steak

looking for a good steak

San Telmo in Meyers Place. Proper Argentine grill, best steak I have had in Melbourne.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

400 Gradi in Brunswick East for pizza (won the world competition this year), further up the road Hellenic Republic for Greek.
    Pope Joan on Nicholson, Brunswick East for brunch & get great black pudding & British/Irish style bacon at their Hams & Bacon next door.
    Last Jar for full irish breakfast with brown bread & Barrys tea or a pint
    Nieuw Amsterdam on Hardware Lane is good for BBQ
    Ablas on Elgin in Carlton for Lebanese
    Rosa's kitchen on Punch Lane for Italian also Grossi Fiorentino in CBD
    The Point in Albert Park for tasting platter of steak, you can compare pasture to grain fed.
    The Fat Duck (Heston Blumenthal) is relocating from London to Crown next year for a year I think

we are really spoilt for quality restaurants and cafe's here in australia, plenty of great spots to meet most price brackets.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭In Exile

If you want to try some different things, like eating with your hands or you have a car, download the wherethetruck.at app. Some of the food from them is brilliant.
    My favourites are Gumbo Kitchen (they now have a place called Po Boy Quarter in Smith St Fitzroy)
    White Guy Cooks Thai (self explanatory!)
    Bahn Mi Boys (Vietnamese style rolls)
    Soul Kitchen Woodfire Pizzas(always parked outside the Arts Gallery on St Kilda Rd)

Also, for American food, try Miss Katie's Crab Shack near the Vic Market. They do amazing crab and fried chicken.

For burgers, I don't think there is anything better than the burger at Merrywell. Plus between 4-6 everyday, you get a burger & a pint of Miller for $15 (considering the pint is normally 11 & the burger 13, it is good value!)

La Luna (Adrian Richardson's place) in Carlton for all things meat
    Escagrill in Moonee Ponds for seafood
    HuTong Dumplings in the CBD
    Bowery to Williamsburg Cafe in the CBD does some amazing sandwiches/salads
    As mentioned above, 400 Gradi is the best pizza but I also like Scuzzi and Pazza Pizza in Ascot Vale and DOC in Carlton.
    Saint Crispin on Smith St Fitzroy

If you are looking for Irish food, don't look any further than The Snug on Sydney Road in Brunswick. You'll pay 20-25 for a meal but you won't go hungry and the quality is excellent.

• Advertisement

jackbhoy wrote: »
    San Telmo in Meyers Place. Proper Argentine grill, best steak I have had in Melbourne.

Going here tonight, let me also recommend the crimean. Awesome food

In Exile wrote: »
    If you want to try some different things, like eating with your hands or you have a car, download the wherethetruck.at app. Some of the food from them is brilliant.
    My favourites are Gumbo Kitchen (they now have a place called Po Boy Quarter in Smith St Fitzroy)
    White Guy Cooks Thai (self explanatory!)
    Bahn Mi Boys (Vietnamese style rolls)
    Soul Kitchen Woodfire Pizzas(always parked outside the Arts Gallery on St Kilda Rd)

Also, for American food, try Miss Katie's Crab Shack near the Vic Market. They do amazing crab and fried chicken.

For burgers, I don't think there is anything better than the burger at Merrywell. Plus between 4-6 everyday, you get a burger & a pint of Miller for $15 (considering the pint is normally 11 & the burger 13, it is good value!)

Escagrill in Moonee Ponds for seafood
    HuTong Dumplings in the CBD
    Bowery to Williamsburg Cafe in the CBD does some amazing sandwiches/salads
    As mentioned above, 400 Gradi is the best pizza but I also like Scuzzi and Pazza Pizza in Ascot Vale and DOC in Carlton.
    Saint Crispin on Smith St Fitzroy

If you are looking for Irish food, don't look any further than The Snug on Sydney Road in Brunswick. You'll pay 20-25 for a meal but you won't go hungry and the quality is excellent.

whats the merrywell like for steak?

whats the merrywell like for steak?

Never had it. Burgers are so good I'd be afraid to order anything else.

Squires Loft does a good steak in teh city.

I had a tomahawk rib eye in Escagrill a few weeks ago. Cost about $60 for the steak but it was one of the best I have had!

Going here tonight, let me also recommend the crimean. Awesome food

Let us know what you think. Am due a visit back there soon as well.

In Exile wrote: »

yes, those food trucks are great, especially for something a bit different.

was actually a bit disappointed with La Luna, had it booked a long way out for my birthday and think i had it built up way too much in my head. couldn't complain about the food, it was just unimpressive.
    i love richo's Meat book and his shows.

jackbhoy wrote: »
    Let us know what you think. Am due a visit back there soon as well.

it was very good but very expensive, the meal cost 340 dollars, we had 2 bottles of wine

lg123 wrote: »
    yes, those food trucks are great, especially for something a bit different.

was actually a bit disappointed with La Luna, had it booked a long way out for my birthday and think i had it built up way too much in my head. couldn't complain about the food, it was just unimpressive.
    i love richo's Meat book and his shows.

Sounds pretty similar to me! Love his book and shows and headed there for my birthday too!

My meal was brilliant, whereas the missus was left very unimpressed by it

Advertisement