Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with Boards (probably in wrong place)

Options
  • 05-08-2014 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭

hi can someone help me. on my laptop I cannot access the full boards.ie functions. in the top right were it says your username and my forums, I used to just hover over either of them to open sub menus. now nothing is happening unless I click them and then they just open to a blank screen with only the boards.ie header.
    I cannot see notafications or access my posts or pms.
    all help most appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

What OS and browser are you using?

Clear your browser cache and try using a different browser, e.g. Firefox, Chrome

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭tyrone03

Windows 7 and internet explorer. It worked undil I ran anti virus.c cleaner and malware bytes. How do I clear browser cache?

tyrone03 wrote: »
    Windows 7 and internet explorer. It worked undil I ran anti virus.c cleaner and malware bytes. How do I clear browser cache?

Internet Options > Delete History. Probably best to clear everything. Try using Firefox or Chrome, IE isn't the best browser.

Its funny it was alright then just changed...... Ah well I'll give chrome a try. Thanks..

I notice the same thing on IE, it works but later the dropdown under my name doesn't fuction. I think there's some add-on blocking it or some other setting. IE is insecure anyway, much better to use Firefox.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Mr. G wrote: »
    I notice the same thing on IE, it works but later the dropdown under my name doesn't fuction. I think there's some add-on blocking it or some other setting. IE is insecure anyway, much better to use Firefox.

IE is generally considered the most secure browser. It's mostly targeted by attackers as businesses use it. Most IE security issues are concerning plugins which can affect all browsers.
    I don't like IE (Firefox man myself) but the newer versions are decent

Nick

thanks guys deleted the history and im now back in the game....... I suppose that would have left the laptop slow of late.......

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Check for malware.

yoyo wrote: »
    IE is generally considered the most secure browser. It's mostly targeted by attackers as businesses use it. Most IE security issues are concerning plugins which can affect all browsers.
    I don't like IE (Firefox man myself) but the newer versions are decent

Nick

The problem with IE is that it's not open source. Any vulnerabilities that occur can't be fixed by the public.

Chrome (Chromium) and Mozilla Firefox are more likely to be more secure than IE. Consider the number of volunteers in Firefox and the number of employees to IE.

Honestly, all browsers have vulnerabilities, agreed that all browsers get updates, looking at what has happened in the past with IE I doubt it is the most secure browser. Even having to use Windows Update to update IE makes it insecure, whereas Firefox tells you it's updating, Chrome just does it without asking.

http://www.neowin.net/news/us-homeland-security-recommends-not-using-ie-until-microsoft-releases-patch

With IE, you have to trust they aren't doing anything to invade your own privacy, whereas with Firefox, you can prove it by reading the code.

Just my view on it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Mr. G wrote: »
    The problem with IE is that it's not open source. Any vulnerabilities that occur can't be fixed by the public.

Chrome (Chromium) and Mozilla Firefox are more likely to be more secure than IE. Consider the number of volunteers in Firefox and the number of employees to IE.

Honestly, all browsers have vulnerabilities, agreed that all browsers get updates, looking at what has happened in the past with IE I doubt it is the most secure browser. Even having to use Windows Update to update IE makes it insecure, whereas Firefox tells you it's updating, Chrome just does it without asking.

http://www.neowin.net/news/us-homeland-security-recommends-not-using-ie-until-microsoft-releases-patch

With IE, you have to trust they aren't doing anything to invade your own privacy, whereas with Firefox, you can prove it by reading the code.

Just my view on it.

Wasn't it a Flash player vulnerability that exploited IE a few months back? Microsoft have always been fairly transparent when it comes to security issues, releasing pretty detailed information about the vulnerabilities in their products that they patched.
    Not a fan of IE by any means but it's deffo not the worst. Open source doesn't always mean totally secure code either, Heartbleed OpenSSL was a particularly relevant recent example. Don't get me wrong I use Firefox as my main web browser, but IE8/9 and upwards have been pretty decent releases :)

Nick

• Advertisement

yoyo wrote: »
    Wasn't it a Flash player vulnerability that exploited IE a few months back? Microsoft have always been fairly transparent when it comes to security issues, releasing pretty detailed information about the vulnerabilities in their products that they patched.
    Not a fan of IE by any means but it's deffo not the worst. Open source doesn't always mean totally secure code either, Heartbleed OpenSSL was a particularly relevant recent example. Don't get me wrong I use Firefox as my main web browser, but IE8/9 and upwards have been pretty decent releases :)

Nick

I not getting you wrong but there has to be vulnerabilities in IIS regarding SSL. Arguably both ways then. If you regard privacy as security, then Firefox wins hands down :).

Prob sorted guys relax lol....

Advertisement