Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What speeds can i expect?

Options
  • 05-08-2014 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭

hello, just had the house renovated and am in the process of getting eircom setup (just dug the underground channel for the line).
    we had eircom previously in the house and i am just wondering with the new efiber what sort of speeds i can expect to get?
    old line was 0667123105, and i am near the ballyseedy cottages in tralee 
    where are the exchanges (think thats the word for them) in tralee? 

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

hello, just had the house renovated and am in the process of getting eircom setup (just dug the underground channel for the line).
    we had eircom previously in the house and i am just wondering with the new efiber what sort of speeds i can expect to get?

Hi Icyseanfitz

I can see that this line had been connected to a VDSL cabinet which means you can nw order efibre broadband. The line is qualifying for up to 40MB speeds on efibre. If you wish to avail of regular ADSL broadband the max the line can hold is up to 8MB.

Also, the itself is connected to the Killerisk exchange :)

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Thanks Alan, we are getting efibre, so the speeds should be up around 40 yeah? or am i going to end up ordering efibre and end up with a 10 meg connection?

Thanks Alan, we are getting efibre, so the speeds should be up around 40 yeah? or am i going to end up ordering efibre and end up with a 10 meg connection?

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Hi Icyseanfitz

Although the term 'up to' is used the optimum speed is usually delivered with efibre. Please be mindful that if also ordering evision the speeds are reduced by 20MB for stabilising and a further 8 to 9MB when the evision box is in use (and a further 6MB for any additional multiroom box).

Thanks
    Al[/font]

will the distance from my closest VDSL cabinet greatly affect my speeds? as far as i can tell from an online map i am at around 1.14 kms from my closest cabinet 

will the distance from my closest VDSL cabinet greatly affect my speeds? as far as i can tell from an online map i am at around 1.14 kms from my closest cabinet 

Hi Icyseanfitz

Yes, that is why I have advised that 40MB is the max your line can hold with efibre - due to the distance from the cabinet. Speed is dependent on distance from the connected cabinet to your home.

Al

• Advertisement

thanks Alan 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭eircom: Colm

Hi icyseanfitz

I am just looking at this. While I don't have the detailed level of Network knowledge available to me to advise you of what cabinet you are connected to, I have been able to run a test on this line. The indicated speed available is 40mb.

Hope this is ok.

thanks
    Colm

Advertisement