Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unauthorised Direct Debits

Options
  • 05-08-2014 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭

Just FYI,

I missed a payment on UPC when I was on holidays. Fair enough, my own fault. I had to eat the 12.50 to the bank and the 10 UPC charged me and the other 12.50 they decided to charge me for the late payment.

A week later though, with no notice as required under SEPA they went for another DD

The SEPA Regulations were set up to stop this practice. By Law you have to be given 14 days notice of any Direct Debits.

I complained to UPC and was told, erroneously by them that they had a right to present for payment for the same amount again. There is no derogation in the Regulation for this practice and it is my opinion it is an illegal practice.

I complained to
    ComReg (consumerline@comreg.ie)
    and the National Consumer Agency (ask@nca.ie)

The charges for the second un-notified DD have been refunded to my account today.

I would urge anyone who is on the receiving end of any un notified Direct Debits for UPC or any other company that has these practices to do the same.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭doublej

Sorry to sound dim, but did UPC ever receive payment for the actual returned DD and is the "second" payment actually a second payment or an attempt by UPC to be paid for an outstanding balance?

Advertisement