Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PhD Transcript

Options
  • 05-08-2014 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hello,
    I received my PhD from NUI Galway in 2010. I am now planning on doing some work with the Centre of Disease Control in the US. As part of their administration they require a copy of an official transcript for my PhD. I already sent them a scan of the parchment certificate I received at graduation and its translation. They just contacted me saying they require "a transcript with grades on it". Am I right in thinking it is just a case of the American systems being different or is it possible to obtain a transcript for a PhD obtained in NUIG in 2010 with grades on it? I already spoke to NUI Dublin but they said they only issue certs and translations of them to contact the student desk. I have emailed them and am trying to ring but no luck.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Did you do graded coursework?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Neo Researcher

No I didn't, which is why I don't see how they are going to produce one that will fit into what ever info the american admin need.

NUI Dublin sent me an email saying they can only provide certs and their english translation from the latin. They are not sure exactly NUIG can put on a transcript but as with a PhD you either get it or you don't they do not think it will have grades.

Explained this all to the people in the US and they said they would include my email and that form NUI Dublin and give that to the next level of the admin service. So hopefully they will accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Had a similar situation when applying/matriculating for a PhD in Europe. They want your "Diploma Supplement". You will need to contact the conferring office for it. They'll take a couple weeks to get it to you probably. At the very least you can call them and ask if they can help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

They just contacted me saying they require "a transcript with grades on it".
    Sounds like dumbass bureaucracy to me: they have a list of requirements that they stick to rigidly.

In my experience, Americans can be incredibly inflexible when it comes to accommodating non-American ways of doing things. My wife and I were renting a car in Chicago a couple of months ago and we had all kinds of fun because our postcode in London had “the wrong number of digits”.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Neo Researcher

Seems like that is the case.

I have often given my cork postcode as 00000

• Advertisement
Advertisement