Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best method for increasing memory on Xbox 360 4GB (2013)

Options
  • 05-08-2014 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, complete newby for all things Xbox. Got my hands on a very cheap (new) Xbox 360 4GB (2013 model). Would like to up the memory if possible to help with games such as Forza/Call of Duty which requires the preload of a 2nd disc.

What's my best options without hacking the box - keeping things legit? Factoring lag/buffer time into account for USB solutions.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,293 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

32GB Usb drive, I use one for extra space on 60GB model and games run off it fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Mickeroo wrote: »
    32GB Usb drive, I use one for extra space on 60GB model and games run off it fine.

Thanks for the reply - any particular brand/spec or should they work ok regardless (well once its not some cheap Chinese knockoff) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

ciarsd wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply - any particular brand/spec or should they work ok regardless (well once its not some cheap Chinese knockoff) ?

Be careful also..

Some games (like GTA V and Battlefield 4) actually require a hard drive to play the game (and USB does not suffice) make sure and look into what games your planning on playing first...

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,293 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I went with Sandisk, they seem to have a good rep. Transcend are also good. 32GB drives are pretty cheap these days too.

memoryc are pretty good and you generally have your stuff within 2 days even with the free delivery option: http://www.memoryc.ie/products/type/USB_Products/USB_Flash_Drives/index.html#Capacity=32GB&page=0

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I would also advise Sand disk .
    The Sandisk cruzer is great . I have one .
    I would advise buying online as it is generally cheaper . I have 4gb version of this and it's great . I use it to play movies on my xbox.

This is a good enough price :
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B005FYNT3G/ref=pd_aw_sims_1?pi=SS115

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Titanfall, NFS Rivals, Battlefield 4 are the only 3 games that require a hard drive as opposed to just storage as far as I know so unless you plan to play any of those three you're good with a USB

That said though, I'd imagine you'll find a lot of the big releases this winter will require Hard Drive as opposed to USB so I'd suggest picking up a proper Xbox HDD

niallon wrote: »
    That said though, I'd imagine you'll find a lot of the big releases this winter will require Hard Drive as opposed to USB so I'd suggest picking up a proper Xbox HDD

When you say proper Xbox HDD do you mean replacing the internal one or a supported external HDD connected via USB? I don't mind paying at all, once I get the right solution, which is why I'm here talking to you pro's :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

When you say proper Xbox HDD do you mean replacing the internal one or a supported external HDD connected via USB? I don't mind paying at all, once I get the right solution, which is why I'm here talking to you pro's :cool:

The internal one built onto the board, its 4gb flash memory, so look at an official Xbox 360 250gb slim hard drive, cheapest on Amazon or you might get a second hand one on adverts....

Fieldog wrote: »
    The internal one built onto the board, its 4gb flash memory, so look at an official Xbox 360 250gb slim hard drive, cheapest on Amazon or you might get a second hand one on adverts....

Thanks for all of the help. I am now on the search for a good priced new or good condition used slim hard drive if anyone has any pointers - 250/320GB I'm not fussy :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Lyncher2014

I was thinking of trying something like this before with a USB stick. I have a 1TB external hard drive. Would this work if i connect it up ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭dubaicentral

I was thinking of trying something like this before with a USB stick. I have a 1TB external hard drive. Would this work if i connect it up ?
    Unfortunately not. USB storage is limited to 32gb per device on 360.

Plenty of cheap drives on Adverts, which will slot straight in for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Thanks for all of the help. I am now on the search for a good priced new or good condition used slim hard drive if anyone has any pointers - 250/320GB I'm not fussy :cool:

gamestop often have them as well (used). it'll be dearer, but at least you'll get a warranty if needed.

Advertisement