Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trading in Vita to buy a 2DS. Good idea?

Options
  • 05-08-2014 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭

I have had my Vita only a few months, and I'll be honest, I have only really used it for Skype and Facebook, which was when I had no PC for a while...so, essentially I'm not really using it at all anymore.

I have 2 physical games that I can already get on console whenever I like (MGSHD collection and Rayman Origins), and the free games I have been getting are...okay.

My question is, will it be worth my while to trade it in against a 2DS? I'll honestly say I've never owned a Nintendo console of any kind in my life, (except my Gamecube which I only bought to play MGS The Twin Snakes and was only €30, got it 2 years ago) so I don't know what games I'd go for except Pokémon or Mario Kart. I know I'd get more play time out of Pokémon, alone, than my Vita altogether.

I plan on doing this today so I'm hoping for a few pointers.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I'd be doubtful you'd get a straight swap, even with the console, memory, and those 2 games, probably still have to put some cash in, not including games.
    And while I do think the 3DS is a much better console in the vita, in the context of 'PS vita + games + cash) for an inferior 2DS, I'd keep the vita, or sell it privately, and save up for 3DS XL.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'd always advise against selling an active - or indeed retro - console. There's plenty of good games on Vita, and likely more to come.

The 3DS is a brilliant console, and anyone interested in games would find lots of games on it. But I wouldn't get rid of another console to buy one - would most definitely recommend hanging on to the Vita and saving up for a 3DS (or 2DS, although I'd consider that an inferior model to the standard or XL).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

cloud493 wrote: »
    I'd be doubtful you'd get a straight swap, even with the console, memory, and those 2 games, probably still have to put some cash in, not including games.
    And while I do think the 3DS is a much better console in the vita, in the context of 'PS vita + games + cash) for an inferior 2DS, I'd keep the vita, or sell it privately, and save up for 3DS XL.
    Sorry I forgot to mention that. I'm putting cash towards it. CeX said they'll give me 90 on voucher for it since I have the 3G one and the Box. I have a travel case for it and the two games so it should bring up the value even if it's just a couple of euro.

And I don't care for the 3D feature. I looked up the differences between the 2DS and 3DS and the only differences I saw were the 2D and Mono speaker (stereo with headphones) I don't mean to sound stuck up or anything, I do take your advice on board. But I'm only putting the Vita against the 2DS based on use frequency by me/games, not the features.

I'd always advise against selling an active - or indeed retro - console. There's plenty of good games on Vita, and likely more to come.

The 3DS is a brilliant console, and anyone interested in games would find lots of games on it. But I wouldn't get rid of another console to buy one - would most definitely recommend hanging on to the Vita and saving up for a 3DS (or 2DS, although I'd consider that an inferior model to the standard or XL).
    Sorry for the double post I'm using my PlayStation's browser, it's awkward.

I'm not sure. Like, I haven't sat down and drilled time into any game on my Vita since I got it. I have then had the lads tell me I should've got a 3DS etc. etc.

I'm not a huge fan of ports of console games to portable. Both the Vita AND 3DS/2DS seem to have loads but in reference to big exclusives, it's been hard to find one. I want a portable console to play all the time.

I was sorely disappointed with the PSP's library (save for GTA Chinatown Wars) and I missed out on the regular DS. I loved the idea of having a Vita and when I finally got one over two years later... meh. I don't know. But look, I'll take everything ye have all said on board and I'll ask around.

For the record, money is really tight for me at the moment so right now this is all I can do

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Trading in ps vita? No.

Getting 3ds xl? **** yeah!

Trading in vita is just bad business if you still got other sony consoles and ps+. As soon as you going to trade it in, I bet you will regret it.
    Don't understand me wrong, I have not played on 3ds or ps vita in ages, but I would never trade them in. I had a lot of fun with both before and I know there will be even more stuff on it, that will make me pick it up again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

In a word? No. There's a lot of great stuff on the Vita. I find they actually complement each other quite well.

Thanks lads. Turns out I've more money than expected so I'm gonna buy the 2DS today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Thanks lads. Turns out I've more money than expected so I'm gonna buy the 2DS today

Get Persona 4 golden for the vita. Do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,890 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You'd be mad to buy a 2DS over a 3DS XL if you have the fundage to go for the latter.

3D feature aside, it's a much neater clamshell console and the screen is far, far bigger. Just a better experience.

I don't see any reason for owning a 2DS unless it's for a young child who may break a 3DS hinge (fairly sure it's the target market)

Well I got the 2DS and I'm loving it thus far. Playing away on Pokemon Y.

I just traded in my Vita in the end, I don't play it and I'm not going to be playing it any time soon. If something truly remarkable and awe-inspiring comes out for it in future then, at least I can look forward to the fact it'll much cheaper by then but until such time, it's paperweight.

And I see not a single difference between this and the 3DS besides a minimum of three things;

No 3D feature
    No Clamshell
    and Mono speakers (stereo through headphones) - features I cared nothing about.

The screen is brighter than the 3DS, that's all I can gather. Plus the 2DS feels unbelievably comfortable than what the Vita did. Best decision I made.

I've had the 2DS for only a few hours and I haven't put it down. A lot more than what I can say for my Vita.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Mono speakers

What ****ing year is this??? :eek::eek::eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Now go out and get stuck into the 3DS and DS back catalogue, it's amazing.
    Some cheap and good stuff in Argos right now.
    Star Fox and Zelda Ocarina of Time well worth picking up very soon

Cormac... wrote: »
    What ****ing year is this??? :eek::eek::eek:

Well thankfully it still uses stereo when headphones are plugged in.... which is what I do anyway so it's not a big deal to me

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Well thankfully it still uses stereo when headphones are plugged in.... which is what I do anyway so it's not a big deal to me

Oh I know, i get that, but seriously, Mono, just wow! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I did the opposite, and traded in my 3DS for a Vita. Haven't looked back since. The only major pain in the h*le with Sony is the memory cards:eek::eek::eek: The price of them is mental.

However, all those free games with PS +. I've only bought 2 games for the Vita, all the rest have been free with PS + - more than happy. I hated the 3DS, but then again, i was an early adopter (bought it on launch day)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,890 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Glad you're enjoying it :)

The comparisons I was making though were between the 2DS and the 3DS XL.

Nobody should really be buying the standard 3DS anymore as the XL is very affordable with a much bigger screen.

Here's a good picture to illustrate the difference;

2013-10-14-06.05.51-650x363.jpg

Even with the bigger screen, the clamshell design makes it more portable than a 2DS.

You've bought it anyway now so this is all a moot point, as I said - enjoy :)

Make sure to buy Zelda:A Link Between Worlds and Fire Emblem Awakening!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

3DS XL is the only way to go. Can't play on a smaller screen now. There is no going back. :p

Advertisement