Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resident Evil 1 HD Remake

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I have to admit that while I played it for an incalculable of hours and enjoyed then all, I don't view RE4 with the same rose tinted glasses as everyone else. I remember disappointment in my first play through with linear style, DULL puzzles and bad plot devices.

Ah come on, who plays Resident Evil for the story! And who really cared about the puzzles when the meat of the game, the actual combat, was so good and varied. The puzzles were in how you dealt with each enemy encounter rather than the key/lock puzzles of old.

Resident Evil 4 might have been a departure for the series but in the action genre it was and still is unmatched.

I don't get the bashing it gets from so called purists, the old Resi style was on the way out after some commercial failures and Resi is the reason the series is still around. It needed to reinvent itself and my god did it do that well. Sure it would be nice if the series revisited the old style but the sad fact is it just wouldn't sell enough to be viable and anyway we got one of the finest action games ever made out of it.
    sheehy83 wrote: »
    In RE Remaster, anyone know the definite way to shake off a zombie? I'm bashing buttons but they get about 3 bites out of me. I read online you move the left stick in circles and press x, another guy said move left stick left and right and press x. Anyone know?

Hammer buttons, shake the stick and pray. If you get caught take your bites like a man!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Have played Resident Evil 1 to 4, Zero and Code: Veronica. 2 was my favourite. I don't really remember Nemisis.

Code: Veronica was the hardest and I always remember it as an underrated game, probably because it was on Dreamcast so not alot of people played it.

I had 5 on the 360 but didn't find it particularly interested so stopped playing it after a few hours. Is 6 really that bad?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I played Code Veronica quite late and wasn't all that impressed. It probably has the strongest setting but the 3D visuals haven't aged as well and ultimately the pre rendered games look a lot better and have better atmosphere. I found CV to be OK but I also remember some very annoying puzzles later on (one where you have to cycle to power in an area very late in the game was very annoying) and the games end seemed a little rushed.

I did play the inferior PS2 version, the Dreamcast version looks alot nicer.

Lemlin wrote: »
    I had 5 on the 360 but didn't find it particularly interested so stopped playing it after a few hours. Is 6 really that bad?

If you didn't like 5 you absolutely hate 6. It's like a more boring, uninteresting Resi 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    if the series revisited the old style but the sad fact is it just wouldn't sell enough to be viable.

Resi Revelations 2 would beg to differ

I rate Code Veronica quiet highly

I made a list from best to worst of the core entires for the laugh:
    1 remastered
    CV

Yeah I hated nemisis cause it was too hard on hard for me to progress very far, so shoot me, i tried i didn't like it and i'm not playing Resi games on easy.

I have no properly played Revelations (only maybe 3 hours of it)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Cormac... wrote: »
    Resi Revelations 2 would beg to differ

It was Revelations going back to the old style and being a success that has spawned 2 with a bigger production budget. I am hoping R2 will be good.

It was Revelations going back to the old style and being a success that has spawned 2 with a bigger production budget. I am hoping R2 will be good.

Well yeah, that was my point.... but more vague

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Ah come on, who plays Resident Evil for the story! And who really cared about the puzzles when the meat of the game, the actual combat, was so good and varied. The puzzles were in how you dealt with each enemy encounter rather than the key/lock puzzles of old.
    Eh...I along with alot of other people cared about the plot and puzzles.

This was a bigger realisation when they were limited omitted.

Like I said, good action game, but little more.
    Sure it would be nice if the series revisited the old style but the sad fact is it just wouldn't sell enough to be viable and anyway we got one of the finest action games ever made out of it.!

Sure the old style is making a massive come back!
    Probably after the disappointment that the action style has bred.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

If you didn't like 5 you absolutely hate 6. It's like a more boring, uninteresting Resi 5.

The Last of Us felt like the best Resi game I'd played since 4 alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭ShakerMaker91

for me Resident Evil is all about the puzzles and fixed camera angles... 1, 2, 3 and Code Veronica are PROPER Resident Evil the later ones are just shooting games... I didn't even play 4 as it went away from the essence of the game completely... If I want to play a shooter I have gears of war and others for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

5 & 6 are shooters (Actually 5 was okay played the whole thing in co-op with OH) but 4 keeps the Resident Evil Atmoshphere and tense on high throughout. I wouldn't let the behind the shoulder view put you off this.

for me Resident Evil is all about the puzzles and fixed camera angles... 1, 2, 3 and Code Veronica are PROPER Resident Evil the later ones are just shooting games... I didn't even play 4 as it went away from the essence of the game completely... If I want to play a shooter I have gears of war and others for that

I'm glad you've defined it for us without actually playing the full series, we need things to be in their good and proper place :rolleyes:

I've heard Resident Evil brand itself and be branded multiple things, but "Fixed camera puzzler" was never one of them.

It's like stopping playing console shooters because they started mapping the shoot function to the right trigger instead of "A".
    Game functionality does not a game genre/series make.

Especially one with 9 existing "Core" entries

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭ShakerMaker91

What I meant to say is Resident evil games that have fixed camera angles and puzzles and requires a save on a typewriter are in my opinion the best

What I meant to say is Resident evil games that have fixed camera angles and puzzles and requires a save on a typewriter are in my opinion the best

If your items are shared between multiple chests in a resident evil game you are a wannabe and cannot join the Purist Master Race

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I picked up Operation Raccoon City for a fiver in Tesco about a year ago but it's still in its plastic wrapping. Is that the best place for it? Anyone here ever bother playing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

The formula for Resi 4 worked well because the game brought something fresh to the table, keeping some of the original elements of the previous games while closely maintaining an air of survival horror without getting too OTT in terms of action (I think however it fell a bit short towards the last part of the game). You could forgive some of the game's indescretions because Leon's character was now highly trained government special ops (e.g the Laser QTE scene). The game kept a nice pace, good backdrops/location, good tension and excellent music score to top it.

I personally prefer the fixed camera angles, not primarily for nostalgia but because you as a player, feel like you are watching the character through a camera, which in my opinion gave the game a bit more of a tense feeling or sense of 'someone is watching' than freely able to look around your surroundings.

I picked up Operation Raccoon City for a fiver in Tesco about a year ago but it's still in its plastic wrapping. Is that the best place for it? Anyone here ever bother playing it?

Was that the one with online 4 or 8 player co-op and the different classes back in the days when getting 4 console owners with the same game to go online was as rare as a useful Polygon review?

Cormac... wrote: »
    Was that the one with online 4 or 8 player co-op and the different classes back in the days when getting 4 console owners with the same game to go online was as rare as a useful Polygon review?

I don't think so… It's only 2 or 3 years old. I picked it up on impulse without bothering to check any reviews because it was so cheap. The reviews seem to be universally terrible for it. I checked the Wikipedia page for Resident Evil and there's been over 20 Resident Evil games which seems a wee bit mental.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I just spent an hour in the company of Resi HD and I could have probably made do with the GC version.
    Ah well.
    I still suck at it.
    Tank controls are the only way to go as they are at least consistent.
    The other method is geared towards the camera angle and it just gets confusing, pity.

Ah now, Revelations is hardly like the old style. I still feel it's far more like Resi 4 than a classic Resi game.
    Sure the old style is making a massive come back!
    Probably after the disappointment that the action style has bred.

Well anything is better than Resi 6.

The truth though is that the old style really isn't making a come back. Revelations isn't anything like old school Resi no matter what people would like to believe and the release of REmake which is a a pretty cheap project let's face it is welcome but will hardly sell as much as the old games let alone enough for a modern game to be viable.

Old school resi just isn't viable and to be honest only really old school capcom had the talent to pull it off and all that talent has left. Even Shinji Mikami couldn't find that magic with the mostly terrible Evil Within and the poor Shadows of the Damned (boo all you want, neither was a good game!).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

ok to throw my tuppence in here,
    I've played the Resi games across PC and PS 2/3
    For me Resi 4 (PS2) is the benchmark, whilst going away from the true roots of Resi, there was still enough in that game to keep me playing it for years
    RE2 and Nemesis (PC) were epic and so much tension
    RE1 and CV I never finished. I hope to finish RE1 remastered over the next few weeks/Months after downloading it last night.
    RE5 was a departure and I only went through it once and got bored, I can barely remeber anything good in it. RE6 was more of the same. Having Chris and Leon finally meet should've been a more epic event and possibly have had some kind of genetic link to them and Wesker or a huge plot twist but alas it didn't come off.

I hope for something like a remastered Nemesis or RE2 to be the next release in the series

And maybe RE7 could be something truly special. Maybe have it set somewhere between Raccon City in 2 and when Leon started in RE4. Maybe tie it in with Chris and the BSAA roots.. and how things ended up in Europe!! but lots of dark tension in confined area's. This open world type idea and globe hopping doesn't do it for me. Its Resident Evil for flip sake..
    Even if its nothing like this I'll still be lined up to collect RE7 special edition with super unlockables and crap t-shirt and artwork steelbook set on release date.... well simply cos its Resident Evil

Cravez wrote: »
    I personally prefer the fixed camera angles, not primarily for nostalgia but because you as a player, feel like you are watching the character through a camera, which in my opinion gave the game a bit more of a tense feeling or sense of 'someone is watching' than freely able to look around your surroundings.

I find the fixed camera angle thing pretty annoying tbh. The first Dead Space game and Alien Isolation show you can do survival horror really effectively without the pretty outdated fixed camera thing.

I find the fixed camera angle thing pretty annoying tbh. The first Dead Space game and Alien Isolation show you can do survival horror really effectively without the pretty outdated fixed camera thing.

Well there's kind of something I really don't understand, the whole Dead Space is a better Resi game than Resi. The first game had it's moments but after the first 3 hours or so it had played all it's cards and was just and poor (but entertaining) Resi 4 wannabe (with awesome sound design). Dead Space 2 just went even more action. I found it entertaining but also so uninteresting I never bothered finishing it. It might be better than Resi 5 and 6, but well that's not really something worth boasting about.

Well there's kind of something I really don't understand, the whole Dead Space is a better Resi game than Resi. The first game had it's moments but after the first 3 hours or so it had played all it's cards and was just and poor (but entertaining) Resi 4 wannabe (with awesome sound design). Dead Space 2 just went even more action. I found it entertaining but also so uninteresting I never bothered finishing it. It might be better than Resi 5 and 6, but well that's not really something worth boasting about.

It's probably because it's got pretty intuitive controls so it's pretty easy to get into from the off instead of me shouting 'I want you to go left, you fúcking idiot!' at the screen when I'm playing the original Resident Evil games. I definitely wouldn't say it's better than RE 4 but I'd definitely find it a lot easier to get into than the original 3 Resident Evil games. Mind you, I'll probably still end up picking up the remaster.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Of the first 3 Resident Evil games I liked them RE2 was my personal favourite.
    I never got into Code Veronica much despite several attempts, although I do recall Steve being super annoying.

4 was excellent. Have gone through 3-4 times at this stage. One of the best action adventure games I've ever played.

5 was pretty much a clone of 4 with co-op added on. It was a solid game, but couldn't live up to its direct predecessor.

6 is a bit of a mixed bag.
    The story is actually okay for a Resi game and the cutscenes are done well. It also has the best Mercenaries mode in the series.
    The melee system is great but its not explained. It comes into its own in Merc's mode and its quite a viable system to use in Leon's campaign.

However the other 3 campaigns are just generic 3rd person shooters campaigns that don't give you the opportunity to use the melee system.
    Ada's campaign does try to incorporate stealth sections but there very limited in scope.

The game also has a frustrating habit of stealing control from you for cutscene purposes and when it returns control your 0.01 seconds away from being killed....maddening!

Revelations I found pretty average.

Never played 0 or the Remake, so looking forward to going through the HD Remaster.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Dead Space and Resident Evil both rapidly became Gears of War sadly.
    If it's a third person action title you want sure just get Bullet storm!
    Horror, well, the original three on the PS1, the REmake, RE4 on the GC are great but the real innovation kicked in elsewhere with Killer7, System Shock 2, even BioShock and, more recently, its the PC indie scene that eschews big budgets and scares the pants off you anyway, as our audience at a play through of Five Nights At Freddie's will attest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

What's the reason for the move away from survival horror to a more action oriented genre in the Resi series anyway?

Lower attention spans not geared towards slower paced, puzzles solving games?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Blatter wrote: »
    What's the reason for the move away from survival horror to a more action oriented genre in the Resi series anyway?
    $$$

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yeah before resi 6 got released, capcom said in an interview that they 'wanted to make that call if duty money'. Afterwards they admitted they needed to go back to survival horror after the poor reviews resi 6 got. I couldn't even guess what 7 will be like.

I'm quite enjoying the survival horror discussion :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Blatter wrote: »

Lower attention spans not geared towards slower paced, puzzles solving games?

They wanted a piece of the Gears of War Call of Duty action money pie. To sell more games to the lowest common gamer.

As one reviewer even proved as he had to look up a guide to solve puzzles in this remaster. Just shows how the new generation of gamers from 2000 onward of the Call of Duty generation are.

It's only older gamers born in around 1980's that managed to play games without the internet and youtube guides that want the old style back.

Advertisement