Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resident Evil 1 HD Remake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Thankfully, say with alien isolation and having to reach a save point, the developers are remembering that autosave every two seconds removes all tension.

Indeed. This game is an absolute joy to play. Walked into a room with 2+ zombie dogs patrolling around. Didn't save in some time and had one heal item. I turned tail and fled rather than risk a fight with them and losing my game time. Can't remember the last time a videogame (bar Dark Souls) made me reconsider advancing in the game for fear dying. Great stuff

Also, there is so much in the game that i don't remember that it makes it feel like a brand new game. Either the N64 remake added loads of content or i didn't actually play the original and only watched my brother play it :rolleyes:

Jill Sandwich
    The room with the descending ceiling after the shotgun room. Wasn't Barry supposed to save me or something? I recall something like that. Had to end up putting the broken shotgun on the wall

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yupp the same, haven't backed out of a room since playing dark souls.

I think if you pick up the broken shotgun first, the above doesn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Jill Sandwich
    The room with the descending ceiling after the shotgun room. Wasn't Barry supposed to save me or something? I recall something like that. Had to end up putting the broken shotgun on the wall

Depending how you play the game that part will play out differently, it's not a fixed event.

Watching my brother play this for the 1st time really goes to show simplified games are these days. He couldn't believe the amount of backtracking to save and item juggling he had to do.

Which is better?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Old skool all the way. I remember that fact that you could only save you game in Dead Rising was by going to a save or rest room was the biggest complaint against the game, I loved it as it made you plan your game and actually think about how to go about things. Games today are not as hard as those in the past as you get a checkpoint every few minutes or you can save anywhere at any time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

Looks like capcom are considering a resi 2 remake since this has sold so well.

http://www.psu.com/news/25671/Rumor--Resident-Evil-2-remake-under-consideration

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

anyone had trouble with changing the refresh rate?

Only seems to be the 60Hz. Ive changed in in the config file to 144 and 120 but the game seems to revert back to 60.

Seems strange to include the option but not have any choices

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Looks like capcom are considering a resi 2 remake since this has sold so well.

http://www.psu.com/news/25671/Rumor--Resident-Evil-2-remake-under-consideration

'Take with a huge pinch of salt'

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭da gamer

Is there any online co op with this version? Have the ps1 version and ds version so not sure whether to get this, co op would be nice though

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

da gamer wrote: »
    Is there any online co op with this version? Have the ps1 version and ds version so not sure whether to get this, co op would be nice though

Thank god no there is not... *shudder*

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 190 ✭✭spookmaster

Cormac... wrote:
    Thank god no there is not... *shudder*

co op would be awesome I think. Not necessarily in the campaign, but maybe in some other form. I certainly wouldn't shudder at the idea!

co op would be awesome I think. Not necessarily in the campaign, but maybe in some other form. I certainly wouldn't shudder at the idea!

If there was ever a game where shoe-horning in a multiplayer or co-op function would be the least appropriate ever it's Resident Evil 1.

It would completely take away from what the game is and ruin the sense of isolation, risk, panic and desperation.

The control scheme etc would not lend itself towards a mercenaries type game either. It's just not something that should ever ever ever happen

Cormac... wrote:
    The control scheme etc would not lend itself towards a mercenaries type game either. It's just not something that should ever ever ever happen

I think it would be great to see some form of survival/co-op mode. Fending off waves of undead as a team might work.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

There are a plethora of such games already, including some of the other Resident Evil games.
    Trying to make such from the underpinnings of Resident Evil 1 / Remake would be trying to put a square peg in a round hole, even if it was forced into it, it'd be a particularly poor fit.

Star Lord wrote:
    There are a plethora of such games already, including some of the other Resident Evil games. Trying to make such from the underpinnings of Resident Evil 1 / Remake would be trying to put a square peg in a round hole, even if it was forced into it, it'd be a particularly poor fit.

When you include the game mechanics themselves and the controls, you have a fair point. Part of me still wishes it could work! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Anyone know what are the chances this might make it's way to WiiU?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Anyone know what are the chances this might make it's way to WiiU?
    Very slim I would say. You can play the Wii version on a WiiU and it is still pretty readily available.

While being in SD it has all the content except frivolous things like the BSAA costumes, the Very Easy difficulty, the new controls or widescreen aspect(4:3 is better for this anyway), still looks fine on a half decent TV. Can't remember if the cutscenes on the old versions suffer from artefacting the same way the HD versions do either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,413 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Can't remember if the cutscenes on the old versions suffer from artefacting the same way the HD versions do either.

The HD version uses the GC cutscene assets, I'd guess Capcom no longer have the cutscene assets anymore, so cutscenes will be the same quality as the HD version without any upscaling work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Jill Sandwich

If I remember correctly from years ago, if you encounter Barry in another area of the mansion before that part (after the dining room scene) he won't save you.
    If you encounter him in another area of the mansion before this event (e.g Forrest Spyer or the Butterfly room), you question him why he was there and then he moves away to another part of the Mansion, which negates the chance of him saving you from the falling ceiling room. When he does save you, you question why he was here and not in X place where he said he would and he moves away to another area of the mansion where another event with him gets negated (e.g not giving you Grenade Rounds)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Really enjoying this game. Having last played it as a child on my Bros ps1, its mad to see it now, all nice and shiney. Could be my favourite game of all time unless they remake the second one which I played on the game cube I think. Here's hoping!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Had to reload an earlier save as I had just fought
    dracula
    who popped out of the
    coffin
    , went back to the save room before heading to the
    garden
    only to find that the doorknob finally broke off and I would have to trek all over the house just to get to a room outside the now impassable door. Pain in the balls for when I get
    back into the house!

Stopped in the
    Garden
    when I saw all the dogs. Game is way more tense than I remember. Also, saw a cutscene about a new m
    onster in the garden
    on some new path, think I'll head that way tonight!

^ You're F**ked
    :pac:

Mercenaries wouldn't be unreasonable.
    Keep in mind that the trend actually started in re3 and was largely lifted from the hunk mode in re2

Three hours in and the shine is starting to wear off. This game's mechanics are really dated. I'll stick with it but there a lot rose-tinted glasses going on. The restrictive item system is absolutely bonkers. What exactly is the purpose of forcing the player to trek back and forth. The tension has worn off since I've been everywhere 3 times, checking door after door to see if my new key works. There is no semblance of a plot so far. As soon as you meet a character, they run off again. The combat is messy at best. Humph.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,413 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The restrictive inventory is so you have to plan what items to bring. There's a trade off between taking key items and ammo and leaving room for anything new you find. There's no much trekking back and forth if you plan what to bring well.

The restrictive item system is absolutely bonkers. What exactly is the purpose of forcing the player to trek back and forth. The tension has worn off since I've been everywhere 3 times, checking door after door to see if my new key works. There is no semblance of a plot so far. As soon as you meet a character, they run off again. The combat is messy at best. Humph.

Fetch quests weren't so called back then. The name didn't appear until the COD generation permitted you to carry an army in your back pocket.

The purpose is, strategy.
    Something that is on the verge of extinction, even in RTS games.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I like the restricted inventory. Adds realism, because after all, you can hardly carry 100 items with you in real life.

Modern games have people ruined for this reason. You'll be giving out that there's no autosave next...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

There's no auto save

Infinite inventory didn't come along with the so called CoD generation... I understand you guys hate CoD (and so do I) but your using it as a scape goat. Sure half life 1 allowed you to carry as much as you want. Even quake 1, or doom.

You can continue to justify to find under the guise of strategy, it's still no less frustrating. It's laughable that it's apparently my fault if I don't plan accordingly.

I can picture the game designers being stuck in a situation where the game was too short and too easy so rather than actually tweaking the game accordingly, they create a ridiculous overbearing constraint. Are you guys telling you enjoy trekking back to pick up that one blue diamond etc.?

This game isn't as bad as I'm making it out to be but it's far from flawless.

• Advertisement

If you get to the blue diamond and have no room in your inventory then all you can do is blame yourself for not having planned for that eventuality and not the game designers. It's your fault you have to backtrack through danger to drop something off and come back. Also not sure how you are finding the game easy unless you went for the easy mode and/or the new control scheme that breaks the game which would lessen your enjoyment of the game considerably.

Game designers today have gone a bit overboard with making games as user friendly and intuitive, not a bad thing but giving the player limitations can also create some interesting game scenarios on its own. For example I remember returning to the mansion with Chris in Resi 1 and the route I had to take would bring me past 5 hunters, 2 I could avoid and 3 I had to take down but I only had room for shotgun bullets and only had 12 which would be barely enough to take them down. Now if I had infinite pockets then all the planning I had to do and tension I felt would have went out the window.

I think complaining about limited inventory is kind of like complaining that you can't move while jumping in a castlevania game. It's a mechanic that if you remove it you end up with something that isn't Resident Evil anymore.

Advertisement