Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resident Evil 1 HD Remake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Infinite inventory didn't come along with the so called CoD generation... I understand you guys hate CoD (and so do I) but your using it as a scape goat. Sure half life 1 allowed you to carry as much as you want. Even quake 1, or doom.

You can continue to justify to find under the guise of strategy, it's still no less frustrating. It's laughable that it's apparently my fault if I don't plan accordingly.

I can picture the game designers being stuck in a situation where the game was too short and too easy so rather than actually tweaking the game accordingly, they create a ridiculous overbearing constraint. Are you guys telling you enjoy trekking back to pick up that one blue diamond etc.?

This game isn't as bad as I'm making it out to be but it's far from flawless.

COD generation is just a less elaborate term to criticise the overall dumbing down of games for market appeasement.
    Why is it laughable? If I don't plan for something I can't criticise others if it goes to pot.
    It would fall under strategy because its called 'item management'. And I well believe that the designers set this constraint intentionally just like all the others. But I remember other criticisms of the game style ranging from 'why can't I just kick the door open or blast it with my shotgun?'

Not unreasonable as you could do these things in real life, but then again what would be the point of the game of you could play like that.

It's a shame that you hate the trek back to get the blue diamond. I remember the delight in figuring something out after piecing the clues together.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Actually the earliest iteration of a Merc/Raid mode that was hinted in Resident Evil series was for the Sega Saturn version of Resident Evil 1. You'd have set weapons and ammo and you'd have a time limit to go through the mansion killing enemies and then get graded at the end.

In terms of co-op. I'd love a co-op survival horror but just not for Resi 1. It doesn't suit the narrative for it. It's a shame Resident Evil Outbreak didn't do as well, it was actually quite enjoyable and I played an online game with others a while back as a crowd online have been able to get servers up and running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I started playing it like I played Alien Isolation and saving after I accomplished any little thing. The Ink Ribbon lasted me about 15 minutes. I'd forgotten there was a limit on how many times you could use them.

I can picture the game designers being stuck in a situation where the game was too short and too easy so rather than actually tweaking the game accordingly, they create a ridiculous overbearing constraint. Are you guys telling you enjoy trekking back to pick up that one blue diamond etc.?

The easiest and most effective way to create tension in a game or film is to make the protagonist vulnerable and the satisfaction comes from being able to plan and create a strategy so that you/your character's vulnerability can not be exploited by the enemy. It's why the Hollywood Screen Queen overcoming the Serial Killer through ingenuity was such an effective trope in horror movies for so many years.

Resident Evil was a masterclass in creating that tension within a game at the time and few games have come close to matching it.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Also not sure how you are finding the game easy unless you went for the easy mode and/or the new control scheme that breaks the game which would lessen your enjoyment of the game considerably.

How does the new control scheme break the game?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,413 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

How does the new control scheme break the game?

Pretty much what you said in your previous post. It makes the player less vulnerable since they can turn immediately so every action they make isn't a big commitment and makes it far easier to dodge enemies.

If you get to the blue diamond and have no room in your inventory then all you can do is blame yourself for not having planned for that eventuality and not the game designers. It's your fault you have to backtrack through danger to drop something off and come back. Also not sure how you are finding the game easy unless you went for the easy mode and/or the new control scheme that breaks the game which would lessen your enjoyment of the game considerably.

Game designers today have gone a bit overboard with making games as user friendly and intuitive, not a bad thing but giving the player limitations can also create some interesting game scenarios on its own. For example I remember returning to the mansion with Chris in Resi 1 and the route I had to take would bring me past 5 hunters, 2 I could avoid and 3 I had to take down but I only had room for shotgun bullets and only had 12 which would be barely enough to take them down. Now if I had infinite pockets then all the planning I had to do and tension I felt would have went out the window.

I think complaining about limited inventory is kind of like complaining that you can't move while jumping in a castlevania game. It's a mechanic that if you remove it you end up with something that isn't Resident Evil anymore.

I misrepresented my predicament with the blue diamond. I put it away in that box, since I'm clever and using my superior strategy to ditch a seemingly useless item at present, but had to travel back once I came across that lion head. Wow what a great game mechanic! I have another 3 items or so that I also know I'll have to travel back again for; a torn piano manuscript and a piece of wood being amongst them. How can I strategise for the future with these items? I assume I'll just find the other piece of the manuscript so I'll have to trek back. Utterly pointless. I could understand having to ration ammo and health items but for key items, it's purely a frustration, cheaply adding length to the game.

I think I've been playing games as long as a lot of you guys so I resent the idea that my issue with this is entirely a construction of modern gaming, and I do agree that modern games have made things too easy (e.g. tutorials shouldn't exist, they should be seamlessly integrated into the game without explicitly telling the user). But sometimes older games have gotten it wrong.

I also moaned about the plot and combat which I take back. This is an exploration game akin to Super Metroid or Castlevania so an obvious plot isn't really necessary but I imagine I will find out more in the basement. The combat needs to be cumbersome to make the game itself difficult.

I put the difficulty level on the middle one if that makes a difference. I haven't died too much. Possibly 3 times in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Infinite inventory didn't come along with the so called CoD generation... I understand you guys hate CoD (and so do I) but your using it as a scape goat. Sure half life 1 allowed you to carry as much as you want. Even quake 1, or doom.

No one is comparing it to COD and all the other games you've listed are old "strafe and shoot" FPS's of old. It's apple and oranges. It's like complaining COD AW didn't have any "slide-puzzle" sections cause the re-make of Zelda Windwaker had "slide puzzles". They are different games.
    You can continue to justify to find under the guise of strategy, it's still no less frustrating. It's laughable that it's apparently my fault if I don't plan accordingly.

It's not laughable, but it is apparent :P

This game is a re-skin on a 90s PS1 game, with some tweaks and alterations. If you don't like the inventory system then you are not playing the right game for you, it's true to the 1st 4 games of the series. If you want to carry things unhibited, play from 4 onwards.
    This game isn't as bad as I'm making it out to be but it's far from flawless.

It's a flawless "original survival Horror" resident evil game. Same as Resi 4 is a flawless "action/survival Horror" game. No-one is saying it is the truly definitive version of the entirety of all gaming genres where you use guns.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,413 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I misrepresented my predicament with the blue diamond. I put it away in that box, since I'm clever and using my superior strategy to ditch a seemingly useless item at present, but had to travel back once I came across that lion head. Wow what a great game mechanic! I have another 3 items or so that I also know I'll have to travel back again for; a torn piano manuscript and a piece of wood being amongst them. How can I strategise for the future with these items? I assume I'll just find the other piece of the manuscript so I'll have to trek back. Utterly pointless. I could understand having to ration ammo and health items but for key items, it's purely a frustration, cheaply adding length to the game.

I kind of get what you are getting at here but I didn't feel the same frustration you did. I didn't mind going back for an item I needed when I found out where I had to use it and usually kept a key on my character since they get used a lot. I doubt it was there to cheaply add length to the game and besides, higher level item management is part of the game when you go to speed run it, something that wouldn't be there without the item management system.

Without that item and ammo management system in place you end up with something that just isn't Resident Evil... something like Dino Crisis 2 which feels more like a Devil May Cry precursor than any Resi game.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

Played through with Jill over the weekend and started immediately on hard with Chris straight after, I don't think I'll ever tire of this game :)

Tank controls all the way for me, it just feels natural to play the older resi games that way, especially with a playstation d-pad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Same here. I played so much of Res1&2 back on the Playstation that I can only play this with the PS Dpad, it's the only way. The stick feels all wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

The new controls are great for moving around when you're in the clear but tank controls are key for fighting. Also tank controls are the only effective way to use a knife due to luring a zombie closer and taking a step back to swipe.

I've already been caught out and taken a ton of damage due to the new control system so it's back to Tank controls all the way for me.

Pretty much what you said in your previous post. It makes the player less vulnerable since they can turn immediately so every action they make isn't a big commitment and makes it far easier to dodge enemies.

I'll be restarting it after learning my lesson with the ink ribbon so I'll give the tank controls a bash for full authenticity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

This thread has been great! loving some of the comments/criticisms/observations being made too, from what I assume is a good cross section of ages. I reckon a lot of people haven't experienced the sheer "i want to snap this joystick in half and put my fist through the screen" frustration that older games used to bring. people have forgotten the thrill of genuinely overcoming difficulty in games.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I'm getting this today, it's going to be interesting to see how the core gameplay holds up in my eyes now, nostalgia aside. I rarely play games at all now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

Which control scheme is the original? There are several variants of 'original' in the options and the first one seems reversed to me? I'm using the stick but it's annoying in that everytime the camera changes you've to move the stick again (sometimes getting caught in a loop of camera views if you're not quick enough!)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Astounding how well the game has aged. Looks fantastic.

Some serious nostalgia, back in the mansion with
    Hunters
    everywhere now :(

Elessar wrote: »
    Which control scheme is the original? There are several variants of 'original' in the options and the first one seems reversed to me? I'm using the stick but it's annoying in that everytime the camera changes you've to move the stick again (sometimes getting caught in a loop of camera views if you're not quick enough!)

Tank controls but use the d pad to move. The game was not designed to be played with the analogue sticks as the analogue controller only came out towards the end of the PS1s life span.

Tank controls but use the d pad to move. The game was not designed to be played with the analogue sticks as the analogue controller only came out towards the end of the PS1s life span.

Found the analogue fine for the game (remember it came out on Gamecube first and you had to use analogue, although the stick on that controller is far superior to any stick on the PS4 or One). I used to play Resi 3 and CV with the analogue stick as well.

He did say original controls so I was going for the original version of the game before it was rebuilt, the movement mechanics are basically the same. It's when you use the stick and can spin around on the spot is when you are taking advantage which is fair enough with the runners involved as they were not in the original game.

• Advertisement

Found the analogue fine for the game (remember it came out on Gamecube first and you had to use analogue, although the stick on that controller is far superior to any stick on the PS4 or One). I used to play Resi 3 and CV with the analogue stick as well.

The Gamecube version was fine with the dpad (even if it's a bit tiny). I know there was support for sticks all the way back to the original's directors cut but the dpad always felt better for me.

Whats the story with the puzzle at the grandfather clock? I accidentally solved it by trial and error but am curious to know how the clue actually leads you to
    set it to 6 o clock

He did say original controls so I was going for the original version of the game before it was rebuilt, the movement mechanics are basically the same. It's when you use the stick and can spin around on the spot is when you are taking advantage which is fair enough with the runners involved as they were not in the original game.

You couldn't do that in the gamecube version. That's only in the newer version if you select the newer control scheme. D-pad or Analgoue are good either way for this game, whatever suits you best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Whats the story with the puzzle at the grandfather clock? I accidentally solved it by trial and error but am curious to know how the clue actually leads you to
    set it to 6 o clock
    The oil painting beside the clock, with the two swordsmen stabbing each other, tells you where to place the hands of the clock.

set it to 6 o clock
    The markings on the clock (helmet/armour) reflect where the men are being stabbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,788 ✭✭✭Evade

Finished on normal and hard with Jill getting both endings. I decided to go knife only with Chris completely forgetting that the battle with plant 42 is very different than it is with Jill.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I tried to kill a zombie with the knife only right at the start of the game but couldn't. Died about 5 times trying to get the hang of it. Also can't decide which 'Type' of controls to use, I think type B is the most reminiscent of the old controls but I don't remember it being THAT hard to move around and fight. Maybe I was too tired last night playing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,399 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I think I've been playing games as long as a lot of you guys so I resent the idea that my issue with this is entirely a construction of modern gaming, and I do agree that modern games have made things too easy (e.g. tutorials shouldn't exist, they should be seamlessly integrated into the game without explicitly telling the user). But sometimes older games have gotten it wrong.

I also moaned about the plot and combat which I take back. This is an exploration game akin to Super Metroid or Castlevania so an obvious plot isn't really necessary but I imagine I will find out more in the basement. The combat needs to be cumbersome to make the game itself difficult.

I put the difficulty level on the middle one if that makes a difference. I haven't died too much. Possibly 3 times in total.
    I kind of get what you are getting at here but I didn't feel the same frustration you did. I didn't mind going back for an item I needed when I found out where I had to use it and usually kept a key on my character since they get used a lot. I doubt it was there to cheaply add length to the game and besides, higher level item management is part of the game when you go to speed run it, something that wouldn't be there without the item management system.

Without that item and ammo management system in place you end up with something that just isn't Resident Evil... something like Dino Crisis 2 which feels more like a Devil May Cry precursor than any Resi game.

I am with you both on this to some extent.

In a game like Skyrim or Fallout I despise having a limited (although enourmous) inventory as it adds nothing to the game.

There is no doubt that their inclusion in Resi forces you to think two or three moves ahead.

Haven't played since the weekend but dieing to get back into it.

The genuine fear of being required to avoid enemies or (as is soon to be the case when the hunters arrive) think ahead to a room's layout while the door loading screen is on to think about the closest route to the next door that will minimise the chances of a hunter going for you (in the original game they went for you the second you entered a room in many cases).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

The Magnum really reduces the fear factor though :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭ShakerMaker91

finally got round to getting this yesterday finished downloading today I'm about an hour in great stuff brings back so memories of the Gamecube days!

Advertisement