Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resident Evil 1 HD Remake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I think you're projecting your image of modern gaming on me here. I never said I wanted my hand to be held. I detest unavoidable tutorials in any game. I also detest unnecessary backtracking. I'm not sure how I could have planned to take the wooden emblem or the red unprinted book or the broken shotgun or the herbicide or the wind crest with me without having telepathic knowledge of the game.

Of course not. But it's what makes it such an interesting game and a popular choice to speed run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The might just not be for you, doesn't necessarily make it bad.

I think you could nearly see it in the same way that people might view a restored version of a classic movie.

Some would watch Citizen Kane and marvel at how groundbreaking it was and how it still stands up today as a masterful piece of storytelling.

Others will see a boring movie about some old dude and his sled. And it's not even in colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,399 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Is this relevant? Surely if a game is that good, it should be able to stand on its own two feet regardless of my point of reference. This could be interpreted as "Are you blinded by nostalgia?" :pac:

To answer your question, the NES was my first console. I played bits of RE1/2 in a friends since I went for the N64 back in the day.

Just asking!
    I think you're projecting your image of modern gaming on me here. I never said I wanted my hand to be held. I detest unavoidable tutorials in any game. I also detest unnecessary backtracking. I'm not sure how I could have planned to take the wooden emblem or the red unprinted book or the broken shotgun or the herbicide or the wind crest with me without having telepathic knowledge of the game.

How do you define unnecessary backtracking though?

I mean, they could open every door in the mansion or make routes more sequential (Find Key B in Room A, luckily Room B is right next door etc). Sounds boring.

Honestly, stopping at an inventory box and thinking....do I need that extra spray now, will I survive with just the bullet in my gun and so can I leave the clips etc is part of the game.

If it was just running and guning then it would be so much weaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The real fun starts when you play survivor mode and the inventory boxes are not linked up any more. Then you really, really have to think or you will running around for hours.

The real fun starts when you play survivor mode and the inventory boxes are not linked up any more. Then you really, really have to think or you will running around for hours.

Sounds like hell!

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    Sounds like hell!

Go back to your Call of Battle or whatever it is you whippersnappers play these days…

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

Sounds like hell!

Sounds like real life, you know where you can only carry a certain amount of items with you and when you put ammo in a box in one room it won't be in the next. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

gazzamc wrote: »
    Sounds like real life, you know where you can only carry a certain amount of items with you and when you put ammo in a box in one room it won't be in the next. :pac:

It's ok as long as you carry the 2L Bottle of Coke though, it can reduce the likelyhood of melee damage :pac:

Cormac... wrote: »
    It's ok as long as you carry the 2L Bottle of Coke though, it can reduce the likelyhood of melee damage :pac:

Combine it with some Mentos and you got a powerful weapon for driving back the undead.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

Cormac... wrote: »

Yep didn't plan ahead, left the other items in the wrong box lol

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The might just not be for you, doesn't necessarily make it bad.

I think you might be correct. Altering any of the features I have issue with would essentially remove the "helplessness" feeling you have as you navigate the mansion, as you are never as prepared as you would want to be.

I genuinely believe it isn't as good as you folk are making it out be though, a "flawless" survival-horror game as another user said. You only have to look at the b-movie plot and dialogue to dispel that argument.

I genuinely believe it isn't as good as you folk are making it out be though, a "flawless" survival-horror game as another user said. You only have to look at the b-movie plot and dialogue to dispel that argument.

Tbf, isolate any part of Resident Evil and it's going to look awful but combined it becomes something much greater than the sum of it's parts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,413 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ah now Resi was never about plot, it was just there to keep the game moving forward and was great in it's B-movie cheesiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

What's wrong with B movies!?

This boils down to one thing. I find the core restrictive mechanics to be frustrating, other don't. After reading a few reviews, the same thing comes up. Changing those mechanics would change the very game itself.

The metacritic score of 81 sounds about right to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

This boils down to one thing. I find the core restrictive mechanics to be frustrating, other don't. After reading a few reviews, the same thing comes up. Changing those mechanics would change the very game itself.

Yeah, it's kind of a lose lose situation.
    The hours I've spent playing RE games is incalculable and I have to admit, the limited inventory never registered as a 'flaw' or bad mechanic.
    I just saw it as a restriction, to be solved. No different to keys and puzzles.

I think everyone just wants you to see the game that they see.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,458 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

wait for the infinite inventory mod if someone does it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

This is not a criticism, but how old are? This game when it first came out was revolutionary and scare the living bejaysus out of people. It came out when i was a spotty teenager and was soooo good with endless hours of entertainment and head scratching because you had to figure everything out. There was no help like today from online walkthroughs and forums becuase the Internet was just about a toddler getting ready to walk.

For people of my vintage this is a great way to reconnect with memories of why we fell in love with gaming. I know it doesn't stand up against the new stuff like CoD, BF or whatever you wanna play but for €20 you wouldn't expect it too.

The metacritic score given is probably right when compared to modern games but again the reviewers probably weren't new to gaming when this was original released.

Hope that doesn't sound like a rant its not intended that way..

oh and as an add on I'd hate to see the mechanics being changed, its fine just as it is

Skerries wrote: »
    wait for the infinite inventory mod if someone does it

That would just essentially wreck the game, like instant win mode. Pick up and carry everything, you'd finish the game in about 90mins with that.

I would be like playing COD with an aim bot and one shot kills with unlimited ammo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

In the remake I felt they've made backtracking to be part of the tension of the game. With the introduction of Crimson Heads and Zombies being able to open doors, you quite literally have to plan your way around the mansion if you don't have the sufficient gear to combat the threats. Nothing more scary than entering an area you thought you cleared only for a Crimson Head to rise up or hear the door knob moving on a nearby door.

Also with the various keys involved in opening different doors (Sword, Armor, Helmet etc), backtracking was always intentional for the game.

While some people find that frustrating, I always found it was a good way for players to be more tactful when exploring the mansion. There are some areas of the mansion I hate exploring knowing but know I have to go through them. Sometimes I take longer alternate routes if I can limit the resources required to go through that area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,788 ✭✭✭Evade

That would just essentially wreck the game, like instant win mode. Pick up and carry everything, you'd finish the game in about 90mins with that.
    The game gets like that once you unlock the rocket launcher. If you play as Jill and only pick up puzzle and health items you'll never need to use a chest.

Yeah I saw a 90min Rocket run with Jill. Takes the fun out of it really.

brinty wrote: »
    This is not a criticism, but how old are? This game when it first came out was revolutionary and scare the living bejaysus out of people. It came out when i was a spotty teenager and was soooo good with endless hours of entertainment and head scratching because you had to figure everything out. There was no help like today from online walkthroughs and forums becuase the Internet was just about a toddler getting ready to walk.

For people of my vintage this is a great way to reconnect with memories of why we fell in love with gaming. I know it doesn't stand up against the new stuff like CoD, BF or whatever you wanna play but for €20 you wouldn't expect it too.

The metacritic score given is probably right when compared to modern games but again the reviewers probably weren't new to gaming when this was original released.

Hope that doesn't sound like a rant its not intended that way..

oh and as an add on I'd hate to see the mechanics being changed, its fine just as it is

I think I've explained myself well enough that it wouldn't matter if 12 or 56. I'm 28. All I'm hearing here is that nostalgia is a big factor. They don't make them like they used to. There are plenty of games I played to death as a child, I can look at them now objectively and recognise they weren't very good. I can't believe how bad the framerate is in some playstation and n64 games. I would consider that unplayable these days. GoldenEye springs to mind. Am I right to have raised my standards?

That doesn't really apply to RE1 though. I think it is the core mechanic where they actively handicap the player that makes this a frustrating experience. I'm talking about the tank controls, tiny inventory capacity, wonky camera angles and door loading screens. The game wouldn't be the same without them and I can accept that. I don't enjoy it as much as you guys. It's like a racing game, where to increase the difficulty level, they blow out your wheels before the race even starts and reduce the draw distance to almost nothing. The door loading screens hangs just long enough and are frequent enough to sometimes question why I'm putting myself through this.

I want to note they are a plethora of positives about this game that actually tie into its flaws that I'm skimming over. I just can't accept that this game is a 10/10 like some of you seem to believe!

I think I should leave it at this as I'm sure I'm annoying you guys to no end :)

That doesn't really apply to RE1 though. I think it is the core mechanic where they actively handicap the player that makes this a frustrating experience. I'm talking about the tank controls, tiny inventory capacity, wonky camera angles and door loading screens.

Every game handicaps the player in some way.

Every game handicaps the player in some way.

I think you'll find that the correct term these days is 'Intellectually disables'. Tsk, some people…

Don't worry, I've already highlighted your disgraceful behaviour on Twitter, pointed you out on my 'Cisgender Ablebodied Privilege' Tumblr and written a Buzzfeed article about you called 'This guy called somebody a handicap. What happened next will astound you…'

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Question: Is there a way to aim your gun to go for the head? I'm blanking seeing it in the controls screen.

Also, is it too expensive to re-render or remake old FMVs and backgrounds? It's quite jarring to see lovely new models and dodgy backgrounds. In any case, big wave of nostalgia playing it, jeez there's nothing like old Resi. Even if it's the newer new version of it :p

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Question: Is there a way to aim your gun to go for the head? I'm blanking seeing it in the controls screen.

Also, is it too expensive to re-render or remake old FMVs and backgrounds? It's quite jarring to see lovely new models and dodgy backgrounds. In any case, big wave of nostalgia playing it, jeez there's nothing like old Resi. Even if it's the newer new version of it :p

Magnum will auto headshot.

Shotgun will headshot if you point up and wait for zombies to get closer.

Pistol, no. Although I have randomly headshotted a zombie with it by aiming normally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Yeah, you randomly pull off a headshot with the handgun. Not very often though.

I think it was a feature added to the Director's cut version, can't remember it being in the original.

Blatter wrote: »
    Yeah, you randomly pull off a headshot with the handgun. Not very often though.

I think it was a feature added to the Director's cut version, can't remember it being in the original.

Yeah, definitely wasn't in original. Different handgun in the DR.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Does anybody know if you shoot a zombie/hunter/whatever a few times (but don't kill it) and leave the room, does it have full health the next time you encounter it or will it be weaker?

Advertisement