Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resident Evil 1 HD Remake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭ShakerMaker91

The hunters are ***** when you come against one with low health!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Not read about this at all. Is this just a HD version of the GC remake?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Not read about this at all. Is this just a HD version of the GC remake?

Yes it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

No need to purchase so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Underground

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/resident-evil-hd-sells-1-million-breaks-psn-record/1100-6426855/

Hopefully further drives home the point that a return to survival horror is what the fans want, as if it hasn't been obvious for years anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/resident-evil-hd-sells-1-million-breaks-psn-record/1100-6426855/

Hopefully further drives home the point that a return to survival horror is what the fans want, as if it hasn't been obvious for years anyway.

And tell them to ditch work on Res7 and pump all their efforts instead into a Res2 remake. I don't care about Res7 if it's anything like 6 was but I'd pay €60 upfront right now for a Res2 remake.

And tell them to ditch work on Res7 and pump all their efforts instead into a Res2 remake. I don't care about Res7 if it's anything like 6 was but I'd pay €60 upfront right now for a Res2 remake.

Even the Revelations installments have been decent steps in the right direction. But this remaster was hands down the best resi experience I've had since resi 4 came out. 6 didn't perform to their expectations anyway so they must have realised that Michael Bay style games just won't cut it. Anyway I'll stop here before I go off on a rant.

I actually got around to finishing this a while back. You might remember giving out quite a lot...

Solid game; ultimately flawed. The tension is utterly fantastic around the mansion. The story telling through minimalist notes is great; massively adds to the tension. Its genuinely unsettling and really grips you. There are a handful of games in existence that have achieved this for me. The game doesn't hold your hand in any aspect. I like that a lot. Very few games these days are doing that (Dark Souls series is flying the flag). The interactions between characters is utterly horrendous. Its like something out of a bad B movie. The voice acting is terrible. I cannot fathom how they made such a blunder with the dialogue after clearly putting so much effort into other aspects of the game. For example, after deciding to spare Barry after he tried to kill me, literally nothing happens. Its just brushed over. People making excuses so your on your own again. They could have worked it into the narrative a bit better.

If this game was tailored to my personal tastes, the entire item system would be scrapped. At the very least you would have unlimited space for key items; possibly have to manage ammo and health. I personally would prefer not to. I don't enjoy item management in any game really. I can understand why its been implemented that way it is; I hate it like that. The backtracking drove me absolutely insane. It adds a few hours onto the game which ultimately added nothing. I enjoy the story been unfolded rather than the "challenge" of juggling items.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

One of my gaming sins was never properly playing the earlier Resident Evil games. In fairness I was pretty young around the time. I remember playing a small bit of Resi 2 but I don't think I got anywhere near completing it.

Anyway I had always intended on buying this HD remake and with the small discount I decided now was the time.

For a start, I miss games that have a description instead of Easy, Medium and Hard. Went for what would be considered the hard difficulty.

I reckon I've already put about 7-8 hours into the game and I'm loving it. The game holds up incredibly well considering how old it is (even the GC remake version). The atmosphere is amazing, there is just a great sense of dread when moving from one room to the other. I'm liking the puzzles, nothing too strenuous but you might need a pen and paper at times.

Did anyone play with the original controls? I tried them for about a minute. Really makes you appreciate how far we've come in controls now.

So I really am loving the game but there are definitely one or two things it could improve on.

-The items slots can be a killer at times. You should really have the option to use or combine items you find like herbs and ammo. It'd also be nice if keys didn't take up a spot as you discard them once you've completely used it.

-Saving. I'm still debating over this one. I actually like this kind of system in certain games. Only recently, I absolutely loved how it was implemented in Alien Isolation. Obviously the big difference here is that you need ink to use them and you have a limited supply of ink. I think I would prefer it if I didn't have to worry about the ink. Maybe I'll change my mind when I complete the game.

While streaming a guy mentioned his speed run time (About 1:30) and his no knife time (3 hours I think). All I was thinking is how can you complete the game that fast and how the hell don't you use a gun.. especially on the boss I just beat! As I said.. I've easily put in 7-8 hours as it is.

Am I right in saying picking Jill will give me a different campaign? As I haven't seen here since the beginning.

Not sure how much I've left but looking forward to playing more tomorrow.

Yeah picking jill gives you a different campaign, albeit only slightly. She also has 2 extra item slots so it's a bit easier than the Chris campaign too, although she is less durable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,788 ✭✭✭Evade

tok9 wrote: »
    Did anyone play with the original controls? I tried them for about a minute. Really makes you appreciate how far we've come in controls now.

While streaming a guy mentioned his speed run time (About 1:30) and his no knife time (3 hours I think). All I was thinking is how can you complete the game that fast and how the hell don't you use a gun.. especially on the boss I just beat! As I said.. I've easily put in 7-8 hours as it is.
    I played with the new controls for the first two or three playthroughs but had to switch to classic for the knife only playthrough, you can't walk backwards with the new controls, and never changed back after that.

You'd be surprised how quickly you can beat the game when you know where everything is. I was aiming for less than 5 hours so I could unlock something and came in at a little under 3 hours.

Knife only is easy enough except for Plant 42 if you're playing as Chris.

There are some extra new game+ challenges after you clear the game.

Well I finished the campaign with Chris there. Took me over 11 hours.

On my points in my previous post.. I stand by the inventory comments but I'm a little softer on the ink with saves.

So overall I loved the game.. mostly as I loved the atmosphere, setting and environments.

The combat was fine, maybe they could have done with even less ammo. I found myself struggling early on but the more I went on in the game the more ammo I seemed to have and I was just able to clear out anywhere I wanted. I'm assuming I played on normal difficulty as that was the highest trophy I got so I probably unlocked hard now.

The boss fights are essentially redundant in this version of the game. I'm sure in the original they were difficult but in this it's just a matter of moving away, shooting, move away.

But none of that really mattered as what I loved about this game was that it was more of a survival puzzle game. Exploring all the areas is the best part of this game.

Now I'm not sure if I'll go straight back in or move on to the other games I'm after picking up but I'll definitely go back for a Jill run.

And I'll say right now I would absolutely love a RE2 Remake. I remember playing the opening few hours of that but I think that's all I did get around to playing.

I've really been hooked into Resident Evil after beating Remake.

Bought the 1-3 bundle for Vita and completed both playthroughs. Was actually really cool to see a lot of new stuff for Claire's playthrough.

Surprisingly I actually didn't mind the controls that much either I guess when you have no option like Remake, you just adapt and get used to them.

The other surprising thing was that bosses are as redundant in this as they are in the Remake. I assumed this was an issue with the updated versions but apparently not.

I've started 3 on the vita but the reason I'm posting now is because I've just seen Resident Evil 0 HD has been announced for early 2016. Going to have to pick that up too! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Resi 0 wasn't that great but probably worth playing the once.

• Not even a remake its just as above with Re 1...
    A remake would be RE2 completely redone

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Not even a remake its just as above with Re 1...
    A remake would be RE2 completely redone

Well that would cost a hell of a lot more money than just up res-ing a GC game which uses the same engine of a game you already just did that to so already have all the tools.

Very much doubt there'll be a Resi 2 remake, it would need to have the budget of a full price game.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,106 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Annoying thing is that it was a Gamecube exclusive and now Nintendo aren't even getting it at all.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Annoying thing is that it was a Gamecube exclusive and now Nintendo aren't even getting it at all.

We should all just be happy we are getting it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,106 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I've got the gamecube version. Still have to play it. Or at least continue playing it since only got a wee bit into it.
    Though started playing REmake again so will see who gets to RE0 first between me and Capcom. If released by the time I get to it, I may get it on PC. :)

• Advertisement

So how about that - Resident Evil 2 Remake confirmed
    "We're pleased to confirm that Resident Evil 2 has been approved for development," a Capcom representative said in a statement provided to VideoGamer.com today.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

Can't wait for RE2, I just hope they don't change anything and do as good of a job as they did with RE1.

Well looks like I'll have to eat my hat. Wasn't expecting this to get made but it looks like the public reception and sales of the rerelease of the Gamecube remake have spurned this on. If it's half the quality of the Gamecube game I'll be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

With regard to the Remaster, it's 19.99 on Steam - is it worth it at that price? Loved the original back in the day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

With regard to the Remaster, it's 19.99 on Steam - is it worth it at that price? Loved the original back in the day.

Absolutely. 60fps too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I'd say the fan made Unreal 4 demo of Resi 2 probably helped nudge it also as everyone was fawning over it.

Great news overall!

Adding onto Wright's post, the game improves on the original formula immensely. More weapons, defensive items, new monsters, map changes etc and they did a brilliant job at creating a scary and unnerving atmosphere with the improved graphics.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Cravez wrote: »
    I'd say the fan made Unreal 4 demo of Resi 2 probably helped nudge it also as everyone was fawning over it.

Great news overall!

I've only just seen that! Immense.

I've only just seen that! Immense.

With the annoucement of Resi 2 officially being remade, Capcom asked the team behind the fan made project to stop. In fairness they did it in a nice way, they didn't order any cease and desist.

While the the team's project may never see the light of day, they can probably be rest assured they were part of a catalyst that helped Capcom actually giving us an official remake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Cravez wrote: »
    With the annoucement of Resi 2 officially being remade, Capcom asked the team behind the fan made project to stop. In fairness they did it in a nice way, they didn't order any cease and desist.

While the the team's project may never see the light of day, they can probably be rest assured they were part of a catalyst that helped Capcom actually giving us an official remake.

Yeah but one big difference that remains to be seen is if they retain the static cameras angles or go for the re4 over the shoulder thing.

Advertisement