Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resident Evil 1 HD Remake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Games companies time and again show how little they care about archiving old material. Most lose the source code to their games. Many retro collections are using roms with watermarks from rom sites. This is the same Capcom that cancelled the DS gamebay megaman collection because they lost the source code to all their games. Only Nintendo seems to archive it's old dev resources.

Well you've just shown a complete lack of understanding of software design. HD remastered aren't easy especially ones requiring emulation. It's a massive ng coding task that will run well into a few hundred thousand. Re rendering those backgrounds as well from scratch would send the budget into a couple of million.

It's kinda sad tbh, games deserve to be preserved in their original state.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,458 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

it's sad that games are lost that easy but I read that when they were making the Toy Story 2 film they screwed up and lost what was essentially most of the film but an employee just happened to have a copy of it that she was working from at home

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Dear god, you've no idea how much THAT would cost :\ You'd be better off starting from scratch than reverse engineering it.

But Bluepoint Games did that every time for their HD remasters and they are the best HD remasters around (GoW, MGS, ICO&SotC). The URL is no longer working for some reason (1up.com/features/the-problem-with-preservation) but here's a quote I managed to find from them on this exact issue.
    We don't use archive data. we take retail discs of the game and reverse engineer them. That way we can be 100% sure we have all the final retail data and that it matches up. That takes a lot of time.

Then to get it working, we basically have to go in and change every single piece of data. We get the code and we use that to build a PC version of the game.

It's not something meant to ship, so a lot of things don't work. It doesn't have sound for example. The engine though is the same, the data layout is the same, so we get that working first.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

But Bluepoint Games did that every time for their HD remasters and they are the best HD remasters around (GoW, MGS, ICO&SotC). The URL is no longer working for some reason (1up.com/features/the-problem-with-preservation) but here's a quote I managed to find from them on this exact issue.

That's all well and good when all your textures and models and all are right there on the disk. But more complicated when you're talking about pre-rendered backgrounds, overlaid worth pre-rendered animated sprites. Recreating those would have to be done from scratch in the absence of the original assets for the render.

• All this does is show that capcom are now void of any creativity. I loved the GameCube version but its a remake of re1 and now a remaster. They don't even have the talent to at least try a remake of re2.
    This is another cash grab ploy..look at how many times re4 was re released.
    I'm in two minds about remakes in general, and I'm they guy that re purchased the last of us which I love.
    But when I look deeper its a worrying trend in the industry.

This year includes

Diablo 3 - re release on next gen
    Halo collection - re release
    Tlou re release
    Re1 re rerelease
    GTA v re release
    H1z1 is a clone of day z - null of creativity
    Call of duty annual
    Fifa annual
    Forza is now annual
    Hotline Miami 2

There's 2 new IPs destiny and the evil within..evolve has been delayed

There's probably more but its just a disapointing looking at that list from a creative perspective

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Never going to happen, but I'd fecking love a HD Eternal Darkness.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

Rockstar re releasing GTA V does feel like a cash grab, historic sales figures for the first release and they still want more.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

So is this game going to be static backgrounds/camera angles, or full 3rd person 3d like Resi 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Cormac... wrote: »
    So is this game going to be static backgrounds/camera angles, or full 3rd person 3d like Resi 4?

Gonna be static backgrounds. Not confirmed but they say in the vid how the old style added to the horror (of not being able to turn around very quick :)) so they wouldn't mess with it.

Resi 2 HD remake would be absolutely brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Oh you're taking about assets, and not code

• Advertisement

This is the most unnecessary re-make/re-release I've come across in that case

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Given how few people will have played the original or the remake of the original, or have easy access to buy the game, outside of picking them up on eBay, thus game is liable to be seen for the first time by many, rather than a historical document in game form.
    Some games appeal due to nostalgia but this game is simply a brilliant game and should be viewed as a classic film would, imagine this as a BluRay remaster.
    And, even though I have the PS original, the Gamecube remake, owned it both as a Japanese title and Pal, I'll certainly love to jump back into this world Capcom created.
    And it may well show just how off the mark the more recent titles in the franchise have gone, RE Revelations excepted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,803 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    All this does is show that capcom are now void of any creativity. I loved the GameCube version but its a remake of re1 and now a remaster. They don't even have the talent to at least try a remake of re2.
    This is another cash grab ploy..look at how many times re4 was re released.
    I'm in two minds about remakes in general, and I'm they guy that re purchased the last of us which I love.

Shinji Mikami stated that the reason for the shift from action to horror was due to the poor sales of the Resident Evil remake for the gamecube. Capcom aren't attempting to remake RE2 due to a lack of talent, it's because they don't see it as being a profitable endeavor. I love the game but a remake of it would only appeal to a small group of gamers and would most likely flop commercially.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 29,106 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Shinji Mikami stated that the reason for the shift from action to horror was due to the poor sales of the Resident Evil remake for the gamecube. Capcom aren't attempting to remake RE2 due to a lack of talent, it's because they don't see it as being a profitable endeavor. I love the game but a remake of it would only appeal to a small group of gamers and would most likely flop commercially.

Was it poor sales in general or was it poor sales in relation to the number of gamecubes sold?

What were the sales of RE Revelations like since it was more of a traditional RE?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,803 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Was it poor sales in general or was it poor sales in relation to the number of gamecubes sold?

What were the sales of RE Revelations like since it was more of a traditional RE?

I'd forgotten that the Gamecube wasn't terribly popular.

Revelations sold 1.1 million on the PC according to IGN. I suppose Capcom are after Call of Duty level sales figures so anything below that is likely to be classed as failure hence the incorporation of COD features like regenerating health into RE6 which thankfully failed to meet expectations but sold 5.2 million units (Wikipedia).

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I remember a specific quote from Capcom "Survival Horror doesn't make that COD money" That was in an interview when asked how Resident Evil 6 would play (survivor horror like original games or more action like Resi 5) And we all saw how Resi 6 turned out.

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I remember a specific quote from Capcom "Survival Horror doesn't make that COD money" That was in an interview when asked how Resident Evil 6 would play (survivor horror like original games or more action like Resi 5) And we all saw how Resi 6 turned out.

I'd buy REmake for £20 on Steam before paying £5 for RE6.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I'd forgotten that the Gamecube wasn't terribly popular.

Revelations sold 1.1 million on the PC according to IGN. I suppose Capcom are after Call of Duty level sales figures so anything below that is likely to be classed as failure hence the incorporation of COD features like regenerating health into RE6 which thankfully failed to meet expectations but sold 5.2 million units (Wikipedia).
    According to the IGN article it was 1.1m on PC and Consoles which is somewhat less impressive. They did seem fairly happy with the 3DS sales at least "going by the 3DS market at the time we released the game". There's more info in an interview with Masachika Kawata here.

On the biggest problems with the direction of the series, at least from the fans perspective, is that despite the increasingly negative critical reception the later entries have received, they've still sold considerably better than the older classic games. So Capcom will have seen they can push large numbers of units going in a more action orientated direction and so will probably see a return to the series more horror-orientated roots as a bit of a gamble. I imagine they'll be looking quite closely at The Evil Within sales figures when it launches in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

In my top 3 of all time. This is awesome news.

May have been answered already but does anyone know what the deal with Nintendo was? Like could Capcom turn around now and release RE0 as well?

• Advertisement

May have been answered already but does anyone know what the deal with Nintendo was? Like could Capcom turn around now and release RE0 as well?

I think they were meant to make 2 new Resi games (RE0 and RE4) as well as remaking the playstation originals. They just ported them after REmake didn't sell too well. I think they were meant to release new games on the Gamecube (Killer 7, Viewtiful Joe, etc.) but they ended up getting ported to the PS2 along with RE4.

http://residentevil.wikia.com/Nintendo_exclusivity

I was thinking that when they went over to Nintendo with Gamecube, it was meant to be an exclusive contract, what actually happened there

Cormac... wrote: »
    I was thinking that when they went over to Nintendo with Gamecube, it was meant to be an exclusive contract, what actually happened there

I think this is right, though I'd imagine it applies to REmake as well so they could if they thought it would be profitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

cant wait for this, was always my favorite, i would love if they used as a restart point and scrapped all the other story lines and made a proper survival horror series.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

This game released 12 years ago. This isnt a cash grab more than any other game ever released. Games are made to sell, to make money. Atleast this remaster is of a game that is long over due one. and if this does really well sales wise, it might encourage Capcom to return to proper survival horror with resi 7.

Yeah I remember the Capcom 5. 3 were ported, 1 cancelled and 1 stayed exclusive. RE0 wasn't one of them. Must've been part of a separate deal.

Maybe they're going the Ninja Gaiden route. Think that was exclusive to XBox but they released it on Playstation using some sort of loophole. Think it involved including extra levels so it wasn't the exact same game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Sleeping Dogs DE coming out on XB and PS4 in September @ $60 in the US... Now that's a crash grab

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

The GameCube remake is what got me in to the Resident Evil series. It's really a great game with this awesome atomsphere.

... actually I might just play it tonight suckers!!! :P

*suckers aimed at people who never played the remake lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

Slightly off topic but I'm playing the HD reissue of Code Veronica at the moment on the Xbox 360 and it looks terrible. Its a shadow of the game I played on the Dreamcast years ago in terms of how it looks.

• Advertisement

Slightly off topic but I'm playing the HD reissue of Code Veronica at the moment on the Xbox 360 and it looks terrible. Its a shadow of the game I played on the Dreamcast years ago in terms of how it looks.

Code Veronica's a very weak entry on the series. It just felt like a succession of puzzles to me whereas RE4 was a succession of very well conceived set pieces.

Advertisement