Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resident Evil 1 HD Remake

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭4Dlolz

The Resi Remake was the sole reason I bought a Gamecube. The memories of those tiny little disks.... :p

Anyway, it was, and is, a masterpiece. I won't be picking it up this time around (it's still in my wardrobe) but I hope the masses can see what Resi is supposed to be and convince Capcom to return to their roots as opposed to this new actiony-crap they're doing now.

Hopefully this and The Evil Within sells well - very few horror games being made these days. And few did it better than Resident Evil.

For those complaining about the mechanics and gameplay (camera etc) - if these fundamental changes were made it would destroy the experience. Nothing is as frightening as walking through a door and hearing some scratching in the vents above you....it takes a few more steps for the camera to pan out and see the whole room so you're left thinking for a few seconds whether you should take those steps or turn around and go back out.... :pac:

Also, that hunchback that follows you around scared the hell out of me!

PS - Wesker is a ****ing legend. Best videogame villian EVER.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,803 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

4Dlolz wrote: »
    PS - Wesker is a ****ing legend. Best videogame villian EVER.

Until they turned him into a megalomanical tentacle monster in RE5.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Someone leaked info to Bloody Disgusting that a Resi TV show is on it's way. It will be called Arklay and focus on a detective who is investigating bizarre murders. He learns he has a 'Virus' and is desperately looking for a cure which brings him deep into Arklay.

Sounds like it could be good, definitely gonna keep an ear out. Would be class if Bravo and Alpha STARS teams made an appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Would be class if Bravo and Alpha STARS teams made an appearance.

When has something like this ever went well
    :mad::mad::mad:

Cormac... wrote: »
    When has something like this ever went well
    :mad::mad::mad:

The 1st web season of mortal kombat was fairly good. Gotham is shaping up nicely as well. As long as its the opposite of the resi films, it can't be too bad right?........riiiiiiiiiiggghhhtt?????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

The 1st web season of mortal kombat was fairly good. Gotham is shaping up nicely as well. As long as its the opposite of the resi films, it can't be too bad right?........riiiiiiiiiiggghhhtt?????

The films made huge money and RE5 is the best selling game of the series.

We the consumer are to blame for them churning out more crap and thats what any TV series will likely be.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I personally thought that RE5 sold more on the strengths of RE4 and the features that had been discussed prior to it's release that suggested more than it ended up delivering.
    Saying that, RE5 wasn't a bad game, it just wasn't a good Resident Evil game.

I only saw the 1st half of resi 1 on telly one night and turned it off. Complete shyte. I wanted to see the 3rd when I heard nemesis was in it but then saw a trailer of some wan matrix kicking it. This *could* be a case where they have new characters but just keep the original great story in place.

I only saw the 1st half of resi 1 on telly one night and turned it off. Complete shyte. I wanted to see the 3rd when I heard nemesis was in it but then saw a trailer of some wan matrix kicking it. This *could* be a case where they have new characters but just keep the original great story in place.

Ohhhhhh, you should try watching the CGI ones.... ****ing shocking, like laughable

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The movies are godawful, I wouldnt mind a reboot of them and done right, why they needed to have that stupid child computer thing running the house when there was at that stage four games worth of lore and canon is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

This is why I bought a ps1 back in the day especially for resident evil 1. I'm actually playing it right now on the samsung galaxy tab 4 using epsxe emulator, great game still after all this time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,803 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

krudler wrote: »
    The movies are godawful, I wouldnt mind a reboot of them and done right, why they needed to have that stupid child computer thing running the house when there was at that stage four games worth of lore and canon is beyond me.

To be honest, I think the series is better off being put to bed in terms of movies. I liked the first few, they were daft fun but a TV series is a bit ridiculous.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Cormac... wrote: »
    Ohhhhhh, you should try watching the CGI ones.... ****ing shocking, like laughable

I actually liked the first CGI one, Damnation i think it was? Have a soft spot for the Leon character though so that could be it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Until they turned him into a megalomanical tentacle monster in RE5.

Keep your Japanese sexual fantasies to yourself, and out of my RE, thank you very much! :mad:

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Keep your Japanese sexual fantasies to yourself, and out of my RE, thank you very much! :mad:

That might have been better directed at Capcom.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭KT10

krudler wrote: »
    I've never walked out of a movie in my life, but I came very close while watching the last one, Retribution. An hour and a half of my life I'll never get back, and thats from someone who loves to switch my brain off and watch popcorn films. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

KT10 wrote: »
    I've never walked out of a movie in my life, but I came very close while watching the last one, Retribution. An hour and a half of my life I'll never get back, and thats from someone who loves to switch my brain off and watch popcorn films. :p

Ah it was still good to know Luther West was alive and kicking, There getting ridiculous now but il still watch them anyway! Theres worse movies out there that arent as entertaining :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I liked the very first movie. After that it went really tits up. The last few were just: really? Wtf..

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭thegame983

I think the problem with most companies these days is that they don't just want to make money. They want to make ALL the money. So they'll focus test everything and pander to the massess in the vein attempt that they will get COD's money. Which is ridiculous.

People might call this a cash grab, but the reality is that this is the only you are going to be able to play a genuine, old sckool style Resident Evil unless, of course you abandon RE altogether and play the likes of Amnesia, Slender, Outlast etc. (these are all first person games, but they are horror)

re: the movies. They are terrible. And to the guy complaining about the first one...unfortunatly it's hands down the best.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,413 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I don't know about RE6 being a good game at all. RE5 I enjoyed but it wasn't that great and something felt missing. RE6 I just did not enjoy at all it was really badly made, although I never went near the bonus modes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

RopeDrink wrote: »
    I could boot up RE6 now and enjoy countless hours of RE6 No Mercy Mercenaries mode

Couldn't agree more, the stand out feature from both RE5&6. Endless fun in co-op.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

The gamecube remake is the best remake of a game ive ever played. It's like a whole new game. It teases your expectations from playing the original making it a tense experience all over. Glad it will reach a wider audience its the best game in the resi series IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

elfy4eva wrote: »
    The gamecube remake is the best remake of a game ive ever played. It's like a whole new game. It teases your expectations from playing the original making it a tense experience all over. Glad it will reach a wider audience its the best game in the resi series IMO.

I'd agree with this entirely, and even say that the remake is best enjoyed if you've already played the original version!

I don't intend to swerve the topic from RE:Remake to RE6

But you will anyway :pac:

Many people had the opportunity to rib-dig it with sentences, so I hope people won't begrudge me defending it with a few paragraphs to counter-balance :P

As an avid RE fan I have to say I didn't like 6 as much as 4 or 5. Gameplay was too frantic, the whole health/guns/ammo/items UI was ****ing $***.

It was enjoyable in it's own way. but going back to it in multiplayer and trying 2 player was like "screw this" :P

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

For me the best single player Resident Evil game since 4 was Resident Evil Revelations, although I still have have RE6 at home and should really try No Mercy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 140 ✭✭The Rabbit

I've never played any of them, shamefully.

I did own the first one when I was maybe 12(at a guess) but a combination of being too young or stupid to grasp the puzzles and being terrified, meant I never got beyond an hour into it.

I'll play the crap out of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

It still looks amazing on the cube, the 'HD' part interests me. If I remember right it's all rendered backdrops outside the odd item or two and items that needed to have dynamic lighting. This left a whole bunch of GameCube to render the characters and zombies and their lighting.

Will the HD version just add 16:9 and sharpen up the backdrops or will it redo the character models, add in effects etc. I'd be happy with just a 16:9 version of the game, it's the reason I didn't bother with the Wii version. But the way they describe taking the game apart has me excited that they have polished everything. The game always looked amazing and if they have gone through that kind of effort and it sells then maybe a res 2 remake will finally happen.

I am very tempted to give the GC version a play though again but will wait.... for now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,413 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well it wasn't just the high quality cgi backgrounds that made it look ice. All the models were lit in such a way that they fit the backdrops perfectly and didn't stand out, there's other subtle effects like dynamic shadows playing over the backdrops realistically. It meant it wasn't obvious that they were pre rendered backdrops. The effect is just gorgeous.

• Advertisement

Looks like Revelations 2 is on the way, I never played the 1st one, I really should.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/474818/resident-evil-revelations-2-spotted-on-xboxcom/

Advertisement