Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resident Evil 1 HD Remake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Myrddin wrote: »
    It was in Asia anyway, with a fully english option in it. I imported it from playasia

Nice!

Are there any issues with customs when ordering from there? I never dealt with them before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Nice!

Are there any issues with customs when ordering from there? I never dealt with them before.

None for me anyway, was my 1st time ordering from them too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Danonino. wrote: »
    I think retro was reffering to the remake not 2.

The sentence specifically mentioned a "remake of 2".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Retr0gamer wrote: »

As for why there was no remake of 2, apparently the game didn't sell well which is the main reason Resi 4 changed to more action orientated.

Are you thinking of the Outbreak games?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Myrddin wrote: »
    None for me anyway, was my 1st time ordering from them too :)

Just ordered a copy from play Asia there. Hopefully I don't get stung with customs. It came to a total of €35.99 including post.

Well, there goes my new years resolutions of not buying any games for 6 months lol

• Advertisement

Just ordered a copy from play Asia there. Hopefully I don't get stung with customs. It came to a total of €35.99 including post.

Well, there goes my new years resolutions of not buying any games for 6 months lol

It'll take a while to get here, so may as well forget you ordered it now for a bit (2+ weeks at best). I think customs threshold is €22 or something, so it doesn't exceed it by much which should make any customs charge pretty small

Cool thanks for that. Already forgotten, haha.

Cool thanks for that. Already forgotten, haha.

The flip side is it'll arrive some day you actually weren't expecting it & it'll be like a late xmas present :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Sure isn't it out here on the 20th of jan for like 20€ or less even

Richie6904 wrote: »
    Sure isn't it out here on the 20th of jan for like 20€ or less even

It's download only in Europe and states

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

A lot of people didn't own a gamecube or the wii version so this is a good opportunity for them to experience it.

As for why there was no remake of 2, apparently the game didn't sell well which is the main reason Resi 4 changed to more action orientated.

So if one has already played the GC Version (Real Survival Mode anyone :D) then we can just move along? I say the screen caps a few pages back and was not wowed

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,413 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Cormac... wrote: »
    So if one has already played the GC Version (Real Survival Mode anyone :D) then we can just move along? I say the screen caps a few pages back and was not wowed

Yeah pretty much. It's the same game really.

Updated controls have been added, along with the standard tank controls which I absolutely hated.

I'm looking forward to playing through it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,413 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Updated controls have been added, along with the standard tank controls which I absolutely hated.

I'm looking forward to playing through it.

The thing is the game is designed around those tank controls. Now I've no proof but I'd put money on the new controls totally ruining the experience and making it far too easy and less tense. I never had a problem with tank controls (they do make sense, up is always forward no matter what direction you fact) but then again I grew up with them with 8-bit isometric games and stuff like Desert Strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Can someone throw up a picture of the front and back of the English/Japanese Asian release please :)

Sister is heading to Hong Kong end of the month.

Danonino. wrote: »
    Can someone throw up a picture of the front and back of the English/Japanese Asian release please :)

Sister is heading to Hong Kong end of the month.

http://www.play-asia.com/resident-evil-hd-remaster-english-japanese-paOS-13-49-en-70-83zl.html?ref=summary&sc1=74574157

The thing is the game is designed around those tank controls. Now I've no proof but I'd put money on the new controls totally ruining the experience and making it far too easy and less tense. I never had a problem with tank controls (they do make sense, up is always forward no matter what direction you fact) but then again I grew up with them with 8-bit isometric games and stuff like Desert Strike.

And I totally get that. I didn't play re1 on the ps1, I played a small bit on the GameCube and again tried on the Wii, hated the controls.

I understand why they are tank controls, but, for me, that takes away from the game. So I can't wait to try it with better controls and maybe I'll enjoy it for the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

They do take a bit of getting used to, especially now, but trust me, it's worth sticking with them and getting used to it, as it allows the game to retain it's tension, as the new controls would make it too easy to evade the zombies. That would rob it of half of the atmosphere and tension that builds up with struggling to get away (Which really should not be easy!)

That's one of the factors that probably detracted from some of the more recent games, the tension wasn't there because you have so much more freedom of movement.

Star Lord wrote: »
    They do take a bit of getting used to, especially now, but trust me, it's worth sticking with them and getting used to it, as it allows the game to retain it's tension, as the new controls would make it too easy to evade the zombies. That would rob it of half of the atmosphere and tension that builds up with struggling to get away (Which really should not be easy!)

That's one of the factors that probably detracted from some of the more recent games, the tension wasn't there because you have so much more freedom of movement.

It's basically like compaining you can't move while jumping in something like Castlevania or Ghouls n'Ghosts. In those games you 'commit' to a jump so you better be damn sure you can complete it. It what defines the gameplay of those games. It's the same in Resident Evil, you are commiting to ever movement you make because if you have to turn around you better the damn sure you have the time to make that turn before a Hunter lobs your head off. Even later games that had the 180 turn still retained that commitment since it was only a 180 turn with no deviation from that angle and could be hard to pull off under pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Tank controls are actually better for evading enemies with set-camera viewpoints that switch upon scene change. With stick movement, sure it feels like you have more control but you're actually much more likely to make twitchy movements and bump into a zombie you were trying to escape, or become disorientated when a camera changes and you have the stick pushed all the way in a certain direction only to move back into the previous area because that movement now means the opposite direction.

I know CAPCOM kind of solved that with DMC3 - in some scenes with set-camera where they'd make the last direction you held in the previous screen mean 'forward' in the next, so you would not get stuck in a camera switching loop. It worked to get rid of the loop, but you'd still spin out of control briefly when you moved the stick in a new direction in the new area, resetting the orientation. Not so much of a problem when you're a half-devil killing machine and there's no enemies around. Might be an issue when you're Ms Valentine, one zombie grab away from a game over screen. Also, have fun turning to aim at zombies because turning will now make you move around, possibly into danger.

Maybe they'll take the Resident Evil Outbreak series control scheme. I play those games still online via emulators and fan servers. In them you can switch between stick and tank controls on-the-fly which I make a lot of use of.

inb4 Outbreak is still has more Online co-op and features than anything CAPCOM can make in the last few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 EM7

This is now available for pre-load on the U.S. store. I wonder what the hold up is here? Really looking forward to this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Is this coming to PS4 or just PS3 - apologies if already answered - went back a few pages but couldnt see

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Is this coming to PS4 or just PS3 - apologies if already answered - went back a few pages but couldnt see

Yupp coming to PS4 and XOne as well. I have money in my PSN account just waiting for it to appear on the Euro store.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Yupp coming to PS4 and XOne as well. I have money in my PSN account just waiting for it to appear on the Euro store.

Thanks Sheehy thats great news - me too got 50eur credit there as a pressiee - going to get this and rebuy UFC :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

sheehy83 wrote: »

Any reason for not getting it on the US store?

Presume it would be cheaper with no drawbacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Blatter wrote: »
    Any reason for not getting it on the US store?

Presume it would be cheaper with no drawbacks.

Already have credit in my euro account. But yeah, perfect game to get on the US store, cheaper, no online but I think (hope) the release date is the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

Can't believe they've actually put dinosaurs in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

I'm gonna throw this out there - I understand there is a physical copy you can buy from asia? Is there a way of ordering and getting it shipped next day Fedex/UPS to have it next week??

Playasia sell it and they offer different shipping services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

Playasia sell it and they offer different shipping services.

Just ordered it, expedited shipping, hoping it's here by Friday!

Advertisement