Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Options
  • 05-08-2014 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

I recently bought an acer laptop. A few months later I downloaded google chrome. My internet loaded but would not appear. I then got rid of chrome but my internet is still not working. What should I do?

(If this thread is in the wrong forum, can you please move it)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

explain better what you mean by its not working. What exactly is happening and message you are getting?

A screenshot would help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

Do you mean the shortcut for Internet Explorer? Start - Run - iexplore - OK.

Or right click on the desktop - Personalize - Icons - Internet Explorer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Mr. Talk

explain better what you mean by its not working. What exactly is happening and message you are getting?

A screenshot would help?
    I click on internet, it loads, but that is all. All I get is a blank page of internet loading.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Let me get this straight. Firstly are you using a dongle or connecting to a WiFi modem?

Your internet was working on your old browser (was this Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera, Safari?)

You downloaded Google Chrome - causing your internet to "load but not appear". Can you explain what you mean by this? Did the internet still work on your other browser?

You got rid of chrome (I question whether you uninstalled it or just deleted the desktop icon but that's another argument) but your internet now won't work on your old browser.

That correct?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Are you using Wifi or wired? If you use Wifi have you tried forgetting the home wifi network and reconnecting?

Nick

• Advertisement

Mr. Talk wrote: »
    I click on internet, it loads, but that is all. All I get is a blank page of internet loading.

What sites have you tried?

Have you tried a different browser?

Do any particular messages appear in the browser or prompts (timeouts)?

Let me get this straight. Firstly are you using a dongle or connecting to a WiFi modem?

Your internet was working on your old browser (was this Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera, Safari?)

You downloaded Google Chrome - causing your internet to "load but not appear". Can you explain what you mean by this? Did the internet still work on your other browser?

You got rid of chrome (I question whether you uninstalled it or just deleted the desktop icon but that's another argument) but your internet now won't work on your old browser.

That correct?
    Exactly, now my internet is not working on my old browser.

yoyo wrote: »
    Are you using Wifi or wired? If you use Wifi have you tried forgetting the home wifi network and reconnecting?

Nick
    My WiFi is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Exactly, now my internet is not working on my old browser.

What error message are you getting? What is your old browser?

What error message are you getting? What is your old browser?
    All I get is a message saying that my computer has been unprotected for 100 days etc. And that is it really.
    I have to say I know little about computers!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

All I get is a message saying that my computer has been unprotected for 100 days etc. And that is it really.
    I have to say I know little about computers!

Uninstall the trial anti virus and install something like Avast Free instead. What error does Chrome state when pages don't load?

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    Uninstall the trial anti virus and install something like Avast Free instead. What error does Chrome state when pages don't load?

Nick
    The trial anti virus was up a long time ago. There is no error stated. I uninstalled chrome and went back to my old browser.
    What happens is I click on internet, it loads and that is it. All I get is a white page of google loading, while in the background Mcfee internet security is telling me to buy a subscription. I tried clicking on "buy subscription" but nothing happens.
    I will try to download a 30 day trial of norton. Do you think its because I have no anti-virus security that my internet is not working?

The trial anti virus was up a long time ago. There is no error stated. I uninstalled chrome and went back to my old browser.
    What happens is I click on internet, it loads and that is it. All I get is a white page of google loading, while in the background Mcfee internet security is telling me to buy a subscription. I tried clicking on "buy subscription" but nothing happens.
    I will try to download a 30 day trial of norton. Do you think its because I have no anti-virus security that my internet is not working?

Get rid of McAfee. It's expired which means you no longer have a 'working' anti virus (it's not updating).

I assume you're running windows 8/8.1.

Check the list below (click to sort by protection) for the most suitable Anti Virus.

http://www.av-test.org/en/home/?avtest%5Btype%5D=3&avtest%5Bplatforms%5D=10-7,5-4-1&avtest%5Bseries%5D=5-4-1:1391252400.2,10-7:1396310400.2

Also that "trial was up a long time ago" is setting off alarm bells.

As a just in case I'd install and run a Malwarebytes scan. From safe mode.

Get rid of McAfee. It's expired which means you no longer have a 'working' anti virus (it's not updating).

I assume you're running windows 8/8.1.

Check the list below (sorted by protection) for the most suitable Anti Virus.

http://www.av-test.org/en/home/?avtest%5Btype%5D=3&avtest%5Bplatforms%5D=10-7,5-4-1&avtest%5Bseries%5D=5-4-1:1391252400.2,10-7:1396310400.2
    Beacuse I have no internet access, I can only get the anti virus that is on my homepage. What is wrong with norton?

Beacuse I have no internet access, I can only get the anti virus that is on my homepage. What is wrong with norton?

Doesn't mean that other applications aren't connected. You state that you have wifi access on this device and that the credentials are 'fine'.

Some people assume that a paid anti virus solution is needed, it's not.

Whereas it's quite good on protection, it's not great on performance.

http://www.av-test.org/en/home/?avtest%5Btype%5D=0&avtest%5Bprods%5D=22&avtest%5Bplatforms%5D=10-7,5-4-1&avtest%5Bseries%5D=5-4-1:1391252400.2,10-7:1396310400.2

Also here are your steps:

1. Uninstall McAfee.
    2. Install Malwarebytes. (download to a usb, install from that)
    2a. *optional* Reboot in to Safe Mode
    3. Run a Malwarebytes Full Scan.

Let us know how you get on.

Doesn't mean that other applications aren't connected. You state that you have wifi access on this device and that the credentials are 'fine'.

Some people assume that a paid anti virus solution is needed, it's not.

Whereas it's quite good on protection, it's not great on performance.

http://www.av-test.org/en/home/?avtest%5Btype%5D=0&avtest%5Bprods%5D=22&avtest%5Bplatforms%5D=10-7,5-4-1&avtest%5Bseries%5D=5-4-1:1391252400.2,10-7:1396310400.2

Also here are your steps:

1. Uninstall McAfee.
    2. Install Malwarebytes. (download to a usb, install from that)
    2a. *optional* Reboot in to Safe Mode
    3. Run a Malwarebytes Full Scan.

Let us know how you get on.
    Ok, Thanks, but just to let you know I'm on a different laptop at the moment.

Ok, Thanks, but just to let you know I'm on a different laptop at the moment.

That's grand. Just download malwarebytes from that, transfer across using a usb key. Uninstall McAfee (also check that you're not running multiple Anti Virus' that a huge 'no no'!). Install Malwarebytes and be sure to do a full scan.

Be wary of any / all optional programs installing. That is uncheck "install chrome" prompts!

Advertisement