Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Email Signatures and Fellowships/Scholarships

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭candle_wax

I think there's something in the Irish Research Council T&C that you must put it into your email signature. If other schemes have the same criteria, then it might explain why it's so prevalent.

I wouldn't be keen on doing it voluntarily, but I don't necessarily think it's pretentious. I suppose I just see it as part of the academic "game"...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Depends - if it's on your personal emails going to friends/family, I can see why they'd think you're a pretentious so and so.

If it's on your academic related emails, mainly to other academics - It's probably very useful to the recipient in determining their reply to you (or even if they should reply at all).

Think about it this way:

If you email the authors on a paper asking for a reprint, because your institution doesn't have specific journal access, or information on techniques used, etc - Are you more likely to get a reply if the recipient knows you are "Joe Bloggs", or "Joe Bloggs, a PhD student at Harvard"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

My personal email doesnt have a signature, but my work one has Full name, $scholarship PhD researcher, Dept of biological sorts, University. Lab phone number. It's handy for when people need to return invoices to you or need another way of contacting you than email.

Advertisement