Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lump on Dogs Paw-pad

• 05-08-2014 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Just posting this as I've come across a lump on my 13-year old Springer's paw-pad. I noticed it after he has been exercising, as he limps for quite some time.

He has a known history of allergies, and has been on steroids to stop him scratching. Suffers with recurrent mallasezia infections, and steroids keep it at bay.

Anyway I'd be interested to see what you guys think of the lump, and what it may possibly be?

Taking him to the vet, would be an option but getting it removed is not something I'd think about. At his age, and having been on steroids I don't think he'd make it through the anaesthesia. Couple that with the fact that I'm currently un-employed and have to purchase an expensive strict food to prevent his allergies re-surfacing, money is tight enough.

I'd appreciate any comments, as perhaps some of you have seen this before.

It has a rubbery, and squishy texture and only seems to bother him after he has been running on it for 30 minutes +. I believe it's a lipoma, or cyst myself but I'll await feedback. I understand that a vet is the only one to properly diagnose what it is, although I'd like personal opinions too!

Pics below, thanks again!

bfpd2e.jpg

2qx4vn6.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

my elderly dog had a lump on his pad for the past year or so. It used to cause him to limp at times - especially if walked on the road, so we walked in the fields only in the end, or v.v.short walks. I tried him with a paw protector boot (approx E15 in Maxi Zoo). The vet said that elderly dogs grow lumps and bumps like that, but since my dogs lump was less pronounced/protruding than your dogs, I could avoid having anything done about it (my dog was too old/unwell for anaesthetic).

I appreciate that your financial circumstances prevent you from considering bringing him to the vet, his age and health might prevent an op in any case - but you might try to bring him to a Blue Cross or subsidized clinic just to have it looked at in case there is something simple causing it - thorn/grass seed etc?

You could make up a boot/cover to protect it while walking? I used elastic/sticky horse bandage on my dog, put a bit on - went for a walk - took it off.

Best of luck to you and your elderly boy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

OP

Can’t help on the lump – vet appointment is def. needed BUT…

two things on his scratching dog allergies a lot of the time are down to the food you are feeding him, maybe a change is in order?
    What are you currently feeding him? Ie dog food brand etc.

on the limping…. have you thought of some supplements to help him plus it’s no harm him being 13 .

Luposan and hunter salmon I find great for my 9 year old cocker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭jantheman91

cocker5 wrote: »
    OP

Can’t help on the lump – vet appointment is def. needed BUT…

two things on his scratching dog allergies a lot of the time are down to the food you are feeding him, maybe a change is in order?
    What are you currently feeding him? Ie dog food brand etc.

on the limping…. have you thought of some supplements to help him plus it’s no harm him being 13 .

Luposan and hunter salmon I find great for my 9 year old cocker.

His food is fine. You completely misunderstood my post.

The limping is as a result of the lump on his paw-pad. That's how I found it.

I'd appreciate any opinions on the lump itself if anyone has any.

@aonb Thanks very much for your reply, I appreciate it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

My dog had a lump sort of on his pad between his toes, vet said it was an abscess, drained it and gave him some antibiotics and/or painkillers (can't remember!) and he was good as new, think you really need to take him to the vets, no one on here can really tell you we're all just speculating!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

His food is fine. You completely misunderstood my post.

I'm pretty sure that Cocker5 was trying to help you. I've dealt with hundreds of dogs with malasezzia and atopy, and you might just find that malasezzia can be very effectively managed by taking the affected dog off dry food altogether, no matter how expensive that dry food is, because it's not necessarily the ingredients of the other foods you've tried that are causing it, and indeed your current expensive dry food may not be addressing the problem as well as you might think. I'm pretty sure that's what Cocker5 was getting at, but I find the tone of your reply a little unnecessarily brusque. Please be more respectful of other posters when posting.
    Also be aware that you must got to your vet to get this diagnosed. It's one thing asking people what they think on an internet forum, but asking for it in preference to going to the vet is not an option.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Advertisement
Advertisement