Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

W 7 freezing

Options
  • 05-08-2014 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Any bright boys out there that can decode event viewer logs?
    Diagnosis at this stage preferable to pulling my hardware apart. No precursors to this behaviour, ie software updates etc & sfc /scannow reads all well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Might help if we knew how this error manifested itself ? Does the computer shut down unexpectedly ? After how long ? What are you doing when this happens ? Make/Model of PC and it's specs would also help.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭mrtom

ZENER wrote: »
    Might help if we knew how this error manifested itself ? Does the computer shut down unexpectedly ? After how long ? What are you doing when this happens ? Make/Model of PC and it's specs would also help.

Ken

Dell4600 / P4 3 Gh / 1.5 Gb Ram.( '04 vintage )
    Early symptoms : "Nvidia has stopped working and has recovered", followed by OS freezing.
    Nvidia Gforce 6200 agp card is suspect. Have removed it and running it on board VGA. Appears stable. Now on the hunt for a replacement AGP card.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I wouldn't bother spending that much more on a system that old. Think some Dells of that era had issues with capacitors going bad. Could be a power supply issue from the event log, may not have been powering the GPU properly. Don't rush into buying a new one just yet would be my advise!

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother spending that much more on a system that old. Think some Dells of that era had issues with capacitors going bad. Could be a power supply issue from the event log, may not have been powering the GPU properly. Don't rush into buying a new one just yet would be my advise!

Nick

Closer inspection of AGP card reveals a burst cap ( 1500 6.3v ). At 1024 res, the on board VGA port offers me a kaleidoscopic 256 colour experience ! May tune monitor to black & white till I find a solution.

Why not install the drivers for the onboard graphics then ? Windows defaults to 256 colours when it doesn't have the driver.

You're hardly using this to render the next Transformers sequel so the onboard video may suffice ?

Drivers available here.

Ken

• Advertisement

ZENER wrote: »
    Why not install the drivers for the onboard graphics then ? Windows defaults to 256 colours when it doesn't have the driver.

You're hardly using this to render the next Transformers sequel so the onboard video may suffice ?

Drivers available here.

Ken
    Hmm, so Ken my next step is to ID the correct driver on that Dell (video) list you kindly sent me the link for. Both device manager/display and Belerac Advisor describe my detected graphics as “Standard VGA Graphics Adapter”. Rem I'm on W7 & no refference to it on the Dell page. Whats my next move ?

Edit
    Driver Information for Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller / Dell Computer Corporation Dimension 4600i
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2572&SUBSYS_01741028

http://www.driveridentifier.com/scan/driver_file_detail.php?inf_file_id=201436&md5=6732d673a651f92fbd074ee0eefe0de0&scanid=F435596D363943F683841F6281206643&item_id=230409583&hardware_id=PCI\VEN_8086%26DEV_2572%26SUBSYS_01741028
    This link tell me more, though unsure on how to download driver.
    Suspect I'm beginning to hallucinate with current config!

Doh ! Sorry the W7 bit didn't register. I was in class when I read your post :)

Ken

Advertisement