Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISS Back Tonight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Well I didn't know any better, I thought the wobbling target till last minute was a normal thing :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Well I didn't know any better, I thought the wobbling target till last minute was a normal thing :o
    In fairness i've seen it move around but this was more than i remember. Maybe its nothing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 Loopy the Squirrel

Space station's 3-D printer pops out 1st creation

bigstory.ap.org/article/f050339f55ab48cd887be06438233741/space-stations-3-d-printer-pops-out-1st-creation

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Hoof_Hearted

Just got my alert, ISS is back in view again: Time: Sat Dec 13 6:34 PM, Visible: 2 min, Max Height: 40 degrees, Appears: SW, Disappears: S. Nice clear skies. I've been following Samantha Cristoforetti so I'm a bit more excited than usual :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Looks like I better get my hat and gloves out . I haven't seen the iss since the summer .

• Advertisement

Would it be visible much further north? Round the border?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Would it be visible much further north? Round the border?

I reckon it should be. Also, the Geminids on display tonight :)

Aye, heading to the countryside for the meteors :)

From here would the next pass-by not be better for viewing? http://www.isstracker.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 35,064 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It was very bright for a few seconds then went behind a cloud :(

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

great viewing here in west Cork. Very bright too

Ah I was studying and completely forgot about the pass :( next time hopefully because I went out side at 9 and the stars were very bright looking.

Edit : two passes today ..
    Sun Dec 14, 5:44 PM duration : 4 min max height 36° appears 20 above SSW disappears 18 above E

Sun Dec 14, 7:20 PM < 1 min max height 22° appears 18 above W disappears 22 above W

5:44 pass looks promising .

Cloud cover looks set to increase, if sat24 is anything to go by. Grr!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Not a hope here, I tried spotting it through the clouds yesterday, but it was useless...

We need a dry frosty night, visibility is always so clear then.

Same here, no joy. The cloud is breaking up here now so I might catch the later pass, and a few geminids for good measure!

Too cloudy for first pass . I saw the second pass though , my first time seeing it during winter when it's darker .
    Also saw a meteor just before iss pass.
    Pity it was so cloudy the first pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭space2ground1

Lovely pass here in Waterford. Crystal clear. I always find the depth perception amazing between the station and the stars. You know the station is far away but it shows just how far the stars are!

Too cloudy to see either pass today.

Fri Dec 19,appears : 6:21 PM , lasts 2 min , max height 84°, appears 28 above W , disappears 51 above ESE

That's the time for cork . Only one pass today . It's been cloudy all week but it doesn't seem as bad today so hopefully it will be visible .

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Fri Dec 19,appears : 6:21 PM , lasts 2 min , max height 84°, appears 28 above W , disappears 51 above ESE

That's the time for cork . Only one pass today . It's been cloudy all week but it doesn't seem as bad today so hopefully it will be visible .

I got notice of two passes today, 4:46 PM, Visible: 4 min and 6:22 PM, Visible: 2 min,. That's for Wicklow and we've a gorgeous sunny day with clear skies. Fingers crossed it stays clear.

• Advertisement

I got notice of two passes today, 4:46 PM, Visible: 4 min and 6:22 PM, Visible: 2 min,. That's for Wicklow and we've a gorgeous sunny day with clear skies. Fingers crossed it stays clear.
    Theres a load of light cloud coming off the atlantic but it seems to be clearing as it crosses the country. Those of us in the eastern side should have clear enough skies. Elsewhere might still have a view because the clouds dont look thick to begin with.

Yeah it is very sunny in cork and very little clouds present . Hopefully it will stay like this .. NASA spot the station only gave one for cork . The clouds have been so bad all week .

Why site do you use for times ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Yeah it is very sunny in cork and very little clouds present . Hopefully it will stay like this .. NASA spot the station only gave one for cork . The clouds have been so bad all week .

I find Spot the Station often misses out on some passes, but usually those passes are not worth going out to see (visible for less than a minute, low to the horizon or too bright). But, just looking at the pass at 4.45pm in Stellarium, it looks like you will be able to see the pass and it will be right overhead (in Cork anyway). I would have thought that for that pass the it would have been too bright outside and I reckon the automated service NASA has set up for Spot the Station thought that too about the pass.

I use ISS detector from the play store (might be there for apple??)and it gives a lot of information, including a map showing where the station is with a circle around it. If you are inside this circle then you can potentially see it. Theres also a line showing its orbital path but where the station is sunlit, the line is yellow. Not sure if it makes allowance for it not being dark enough though. That said, it doesnt alert for daytime passes so theres something running in the background.

Edit. I just looked at it and it is giving a magnitude of -2.4 if thats any help.

Well that was something else! Barely visible in the SW and clearer and clearer as it headed east. Lovely long pass too and not a bit of cloud. Wonderful.

It's the Nasa one I use, sometimes I only get one and I'd see second posted on here. Maybe it's only after-dusk passes it alerts for, it was hard enough to see this evenings one on the SW horizon. But lovely as it got brighter. Hope your sky stays clear!

Passing again in four mins. Skies pretty clear too.

Good clear pass in cork country side .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Ardent

I caught it at 6.22 purely by accident. Happened to look up and thought to myself that Jupiter seemed to be higher than normal. Realised then that it was moving! Lovely view of it crossing overhead and its light fading as it passed into night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Ardent

I caught it at 6.22 purely by accident. Happened to look up and thought to myself that Jupiter seemed to be higher than normal. Realised then that it was moving! Lovely view of it crossing overhead and its light fading as it passed into night.

Advertisement