Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISS Back Tonight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭OllieNorth

Does anyone know if we will get a chance to see it again tonight?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

OllieNorth wrote: »

21:01 and 22:37 tonight.

http://spotthestation.nasa.gov/sightings/view.cfm?country=Ireland&region=None&city=Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

OllieNorth wrote: »
    Here you go, knock yourself out with the "Daddy" of them all.http://www.heavens-above.com/?Session=kebgfbecanknfdhoijnhpihh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

I'm probably being a pita but can anyone tell me what direction to look tonight? I'm on my phone and the sites arnt that mobile friendly.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭OllieNorth

Thanks for the replys guys, i appreciate it.
    Ollie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I'm probably being a pita but can anyone tell me what direction to look tonight? I'm on my phone and the sites arnt that mobile friendly.
    Thanks.

Wed Apr 8, 9:01 PM visible: 6 min max height :38° appears :10 above disappears SW 10 above E

Wed Apr 8, 10:37 PM visible 3 min max height 74° appears 10 above W disappears 74 above WSW

• Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

And beautiful clear skies once again to view it !

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Wed Apr 8, 9:01 PM visible: 6 min max height :38° appears :10 above disappears SW 10 above E

Wed Apr 8, 10:37 PM visible 3 min max height 74° appears 10 above W disappears 74 above WSW

The first pass tonight will be at magnitude -3.2 making it pretty much unmissably bright!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Wow I was just out the back and happened to see it not after checking this thread today. You can say that again about it being unmissably bright!

So it's going around again at 22:37 tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,064 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

That was much brighter than last night's pass and was visible for much longer :)

I don't think the second pass tonight will be anything like as bright? Should still be good if you have a dark sky where you are i.e. nowhere near Dublin :(

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Really good pass.
    Wouldn't say it was the brightest thing in the sky tonight though.
    That planet to the west was really bright!

Took the 5yr old out to see the pass. Told her about the 2 astronauts on board who will spend a year in space. "HELLO SCOTT KELLY!" she shouted at the top of her lungs. Neighbours won't be happy with us! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

What's the planet to the west real bright?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Heading out again to view it again for the third time, the 9.00 pass lasted around 6 minutes for me and was viewable almost Horizon to Horizon. Showed it to the parents and a few neighbours who were interested after the Solar Eclipse last month also.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

What's the planet to the west real bright?

Venus, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Just saw the second flyover of the evening.

The first one was great. The skies were still blue here in Sligo with only Venus and Jupiter visible. Then, what I assume was Sirius appeared and about 30 seconds later, the ISS came into view just below it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Saw it again for three in a row, range of this latest viewing was not as long as last nights or tonights at 9PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,064 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yeah it was pretty bright initially (not as bright as the previous one tonight, but darker sky made up for it) but moved into the Earth's shadow about halfway across, and that was that. Surprised it would be visible at all this late after sunset.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

That was another bright pass. It went right through Bellatrix! Next pass is at 23:19. That'll be less bright though. I saw Iridium 12 too earlier. Managed to track its progress from the Plough until it got near Jupiter. Pretty cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭prodsc

Looked good over Sligo a few mins ago.

• Advertisement

Sea mist rolled in about 10 mins before the pass. Saw nothing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Still makes me smile when it goes over! Little more prepared to get a shot of it tonight!

QAKK5wg.jpg?1

High res - http://i.imgur.com/brFgaej.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Hoof_Hearted

That was another bright pass. It went right through Bellatrix! Next pass is at 23:19. That'll be less bright though. I saw Iridium 12 too earlier. Managed to track its progress from the Plough until it got near Jupiter. Pretty cool!

It was great from here too. Thanks for the heads up on the later pass, NASA only alert for what they call 'good' passes so I didn't get the later one. Where can I track iridium flares? I'd like to see some of those.

It was great from here too. Thanks for the heads up on the later pass, NASA only alert for what they call 'good' passes so I didn't get the later one. Where can I track iridium flares? I'd like to see some of those.

I use an app called ISS Detector. It gives times of iridium flares too. There's one later on. Iridium 77 at 22:51. At an elevation of 32 degrees in the NE.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Hoof_Hearted

I use an app called ISS Detector. It gives times of iridium flares too. There's one later on. Iridium 77 at 22:51. At an elevation of 32 degrees in the NE.

Thanks for that, that later one doesn't come up on Heavens Above, maybe the location is off. I'll look forward to iridium 77, my first flare!

Edit - coordinates are critical (to within 1k it seems)for flares so I'll miss 77 but I've a couple lined up visible from here, lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Heavens above is saying that flare was at 22.41 :(

Thanks for that, that later one doesn't come up on Heavens Above, maybe the location is off. I'll look forward to iridium 77, my first flare!

Edit - coordinates are critical (to within 1k it seems)for flares so I'll miss 77 but I've a couple lined up visible from here, lovely!

Good stuff. In case you get lucky, it will be above Vega at around 22:50 and travels towards Arcturus over the following minute or two.

Zyzz wrote: »
    Heavens above is saying that flare was at 22.41 :(

Probably depends where you are. I'm in West Cork.

Edit: Although I changed location on the app to Sligo and got a time of 22:50, so it doesn't make a huge difference (not 10 minutes of a difference anyway). Unless you're posting from the North Pole! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Looking at the heaven Above site it appears to be basically a ssw approach right? Can you give me a time? Looks like about 23.30 but that is a guess

Pah - misty!

• Advertisement

Looking at the heaven Above site it appears to be basically a ssw approach right? Can you give me a time? Looks like about 23.30 but that is a guess

It should be visible right now. In the west.

The clouds closed in for me. Got a good run of it though over the last few nights.

Advertisement