Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISS Back Tonight

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Station just passed over now, seems to be something following about 5 secs behind, what could that be?
    I'm wondering that myself. Missed last night's passes so glad to have caught those two. Dying to know what the follower is.
    That was the Dragon resupply vehicle following behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭Adam anto

I'm wondering that myself. Missed last night's passes so glad to have caught those two. Dying to know what the follower is.

The follower was Dragon, the supply ship chasing the ISS around the night sky. For got about it tonight and went outside to do something and looked up. There they both were.. Looked great to see them both :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Adam anto wrote: »
    The follower was Dragon, the supply ship chasing the ISS around the night sky. For got about it tonight and went outside to do something and looked up. There they both were.. Looked great to see them both :-)

I taught the dragon went over around 9.30

I taught the dragon went over around 9.30

Not to sure about earlier.. Only saw them by a really fortunate accident tonight.. Still have a big silly grin on my face :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,321 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Adam anto wrote: »

No it wasn't Dragon. That passed 20 minutes ahead of the ISS.

• Advertisement

namloc1980 wrote: »

OK, can't say for sure what it was then?? Just presumed it was Dragon as it was sightly dimmer and seemed to be on the same course as ISS. Is Dragon not ment to be following ISS to catch up with it or am I thinking of orbital patterns in a very simplistic way?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭merisi

There seems to be conflicting information out there: the normally reliable n2y0.com gave a 20 minute gap between the two, with Dragon first. Space.com gives a 1-2 minute gap, with Dragon following ISS. The second is what I saw: there was nothing at 9.35.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭Hoof_Hearted

That's what I thought too. Mad curious now and haven't got to grips with heavens above daily list. All I can see is some Russian rocket roughly along the same track, though I'm not sure about that either.

merisi wrote: »
    There seems to be conflicting information out there: the normally reliable n2y0.com gave a 20 minute gap between the two, with Dragon first. Space.com gives a 1-2 minute gap, with Dragon following ISS. The second is what I saw: there was nothing at 9.35.

Is spotthestation.nasa.gov reliable? They seem to be saying that the two were together (well a minute apart)
    Also astronomy Ireland said it also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20 krusty_10

ISS was at 21:54 tonight in wicklow and dragon was behind it a minute later at 21:55. Got times from NASA spaceflight sightings and they were spot on - good visibility.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Perfect viewing for me here in West Dublin, the ISS went by starting at 9.54pm, followed 1 minute later by the Dragon, although it was a lot dimmer so I didn't spot it til they were both high in the trajectory. Delighted to have seen them both!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

krusty_10 wrote: »
    ISS was at 21:54 tonight in wicklow and dragon was behind it a minute later at 21:55. Got times from NASA spaceflight sightings and they were spot on - good visibility.

That makes sense.

How can it be 20 mins ahead tonight when it was 20 mins behind last night FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,321 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Seems heavens-above and n2yo.com got it totally wrong saying the Dragon was 20 mins off the ISS. Very disappointing that those two usually reliable sources got it so badly wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

kilburn wrote:
    Sorry new to this and thanks for the updates have seen the iss a good few times thanks to this thread, but what is the dragon?

It's a space capsule that's en route to the ISS to resupply it. It was launched a couple days ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Seems heavens-above... got it totally wrong saying the Dragon was 20 mins off the ISS. Very disappointing that they got it so badly wrong.

Agreed. I've just emailed the bloke pointing that out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭irishgeo

considering its docking tomorrow morning thats extremely odd alright.

heavens above has the dragon listed as sighting tomorrow night when its going to be docked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

Got a nice shot of Dragon hot in pursuit tonight :)

16985585319_9b16572026_c.jpg
    Chasing the ISS by sean.dunne1, on Flickr

I think the clothes line should be my "thing" :P

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ankaragucu

Just before the ISS appeared ANOTHER object zipped across the sky in the opposite direction, going from south east to west, did anyone else see it?I'm thinking a satellite but this one was very bright, not a whole lot less than the ISS itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

So now that i know that the dragon was tracking the space station, i'm wondering what went across at 9.30 on the same path as the other 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,331 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Could be Dragon's spent second stage booster.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,201 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

ISS tonight , starting at 2142 lasting until 2147, starting in the west, ending in the SSE. not the brightest of passes but plenty of clear skies about for everyone to see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Clear sky at last tonight,had a great view of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Seen it very nicely last night about 3am. Super clear skies, watched it for about 4 mins :)

Story on the updated Toilets soon to be sent up to account for the the extra calcium in their pee up there that they're losing from their bones.

It's blocking up the current Toilets.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20150527-solving-a-space-stations-toilet-shaped-problem

China wants access to the ISS

Nice bright pass at 0041-0047 tonight, plenty of clear skies about after all the rain today.

I just caught the 23.06 pass through a break in the clouds here, it was moving at the same rate as the clouds which was very obliging of them! I didn't get my NASA alert though so it was just luck. Great moon tonight too.

• Advertisement

ISS tonight 2348-2354 and 0124-0130 and 0300-0306. all bright passes and plenty of clear skies to see it .

Advertisement