Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISS Back Tonight

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Yippee! Scopes at the ready!
    I'd need a few bits and pieces to video it through the telescope though. Wife Approval Factor is at minimum level!

ISS tonight 2348-2354 and 0124-0130 and 0300-0306. all bright passes and plenty of clear skies to see it .
    Wierd. My iss detector app has it passing at 22:55. I'll check it again.
    Yup. 22:55 till 23:01. Thats a biggie!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

shedweller wrote: »
    Wierd. My iss detector app has it passing at 22:55. I'll check it again.

This was last night the 2nd. Your 22:55 is for tonight the 3rd?

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    This was last night the 2nd. Your 22:55 is for tonight the 3rd?
    Aaahhh. There's the penny! Shoulda went to specsavers!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Hoof_Hearted

A lovely long bright pass in a clear sky with a gorgeous pink moon. Perfect!

• Advertisement

A lovely long bright pass in a clear sky with a gorgeous pink moon. Perfect!
    No such luck with me. Hmph!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,064 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Exceptionally bright and long pass just now :)

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Exceptionally bright and long pass just now :)

I sat out on my balcony last night sipping beer into the early hours and saw the ISS streak across the sky @10.20pm, 11.57pm and 1.34am (all CET).

I tried to stay awake to see it go by @ 3.10am but passed out in a beer coma at around 2.17am (estimate, CET). :)

Saw it again just a few minutes ago, really nice, bright clear passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Hoof_Hearted

keith16 wrote: »
    I sat out on my balcony last night sipping beer into the early hours and saw the ISS streak across the sky @10.20pm, 11.57pm and 1.34am (all CET).

I tried to stay awake to see it go by @ 3.10am but passed out in a beer coma at around 2.17am (estimate, CET). :)

Now that's dedication! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ankaragucu

keith16 wrote: »

CET you say.Where was the balcony you were viewing from?

• Advertisement

Passing at 22:44 tonight. A little earlier for anyone out wesht! Skies looking good for now so maybe, just maybe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

ankaragucu wrote: »
    CET you say.Where was the balcony you were viewing from?

I'm in Switzerland :)
    Passing at 22:44 tonight. A little earlier for anyone out wesht! Skies looking good for now so maybe, just maybe!

Keeping an eye on it again tonight. Saw it pass over again just over an hour ago. Clear skies make for good viewing with the exception of distant lightning on the horizon.

Another pass due in 20 mins!

Ah lads what a sight! Followed the whole pass with the telescope and saw the solar panels and all! Amazing how big it gets when its closest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

feck this winter weather, 5 or 6 degrees for the next few nights, jayssssus

feck this winter weather, 5 or 6 degrees for the next few nights, jayssssus
    Ah but it might mean clear skies! Silver lining and all that!

A long, high pass due at 0020 (Dublin) and only patchy cloud at the moment...

Savage long passes now we have longer days. I've had to turn off notifications in my iss app because it was waking me at ridiculous o clock!

Savage long passes now we have longer days.

Nope the length of the pass (presuming it's all lit) is due to how close the ground track of the orbit is to Ireland. There are still some short low passes at this time of year. I can't see beyond June 16 on Spot the Station, but after this particularly good period for observation I expect there will be a few weeks with few/poor opportunities for observation.

The higher angle of the sun at this time of year should mean that there are more passes lit up and observable, but that doesn't make the passes longer only brighter. There were some good passes in winter but not this long after sunset, they went dark after that. One time I watched the ISS fade out quite suddenly on a late pass last winter as it entered Earth's shadow.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Savage long passes now we have longer days. I've had to turn off notifications in my iss app because it was waking me at ridiculous o clock!

You should be able to chose when you get notification in the settings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭dball

what app are you using please

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

dball wrote: »

This one & it's very good especially for iridium flares. You can set lots of parameters like time, height, magnitude etc

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.runar.issdetector&hl=en-GB

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Discodog wrote: »
    This one & it's very good especially for iridium flares. You can set lots of parameters like time, height, magnitude etc

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.runar.issdetector&hl=en-GB

+1 for this app. Only thing I use. it's great. I purchased all the add ons for it too as it is something i will get a lot of use out of.

dball wrote: »
    ISS detector. It has a blue logo with a white iss in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A very bright pass from the ISS at 23:27 tonight lasting until 23:33. Another pass at 0130-0108

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Had one of the best views of it in a long time tonight,also saw something else flash brightly in the sky near the ISS and then fade away,anyone else see that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Yes, there was an Iridium flare in the West around the time ISS was coming into view I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

any decent high res pics from the ground up?
    caught it last night from Kildare, looked savage

• Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Another bright pass tonight(well technically Monday morning) at 0010-0016. Then at 2317-2323 tomorrow night(Monday night)
    Tuesday night just before midnight @ 2359-0005
    Wednesday 2306-2312.
    Thursday 2349-2354.
    Friday 2256-2302.

They are the very bright and directly over head passes, there are of course less bright and far away passes. there may be a few seconds difference in timings for west and east of the country. clear skies this week so make use of them!

• Advertisement

Savage clear skies! Woohoo!!

Advertisement