Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISS Back Tonight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Looking forward to the 2317 pass :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Oh hell yes! Scope is currently cooling off in the garden!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Just saw it but saw somthing faint heading south to north directly overhead
    any idea what it was?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭prodsc

Looked good over Sligo just now.

Anything travelling just (about a minute) ahead of it faster to the naked eye. originated further north. Also had flashing red but not a plane!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Ha ! Went outside to lock the car doors, and discovered that the cloud cover was gone. So I hung around, as you would, looked to the West, just in case yaknow, as you would (I didn't know when the pass was !) and there it was, bright as a button !

I saw the teeny weensy fainty satellite too, it was heading towards the two fainter stars the ISS passed on its way up, it actually passed right in front of one of these stars from where I am in the South East.

I'm off to check on Stellarium what this little fella was.

• Advertisement

Just saw it but saw somthing faint heading south to north directly overhead
    any idea what it was?

Ok, think I have identified our little faint object, it is Delta 1 R/B, whatever satellite the hell it is :D

It crossed path with the ISS (from my viewpoint) at exactly 23.18 just a little bit before ISS passed in front of Algieba (whatever the hell star or something that is :p ).
    Another little satellite passed in the area shortly before or after as well, but it was very low and with my mountains I wouldn't have seen it.

edit : The second little satellite is Alos Daichi, it passed very low (well below Jupiter) East to West some time during the ISS pass (as it was well East I'd say). And Delta is yet another rocket body.

I LOVE STELLARIUM !!! Thanks to the "locals" who recommended it.

Pass at exactly midnight tonight, lasting until 0005. nice and clear again....

• Registered Users Posts: 30,281 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Must have a look out tonight, a while since I've seen it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Another wonderfully bright pass! :)

uFJ98NC.jpg?1

I missed the first pass, but saw the midnight one, it was very bright again.

Some 2 minutes before it I also saw a beautiful black-orange-yellow fireball going West to East too, but a good bit lower, 45/50 degrees or so.
    That's me from near the Knockmealdowns looking directly South to Dungarvan/Ring area.

It looked a lot bigger than other fireballs I've seen, and I'm probably just imagining it, but I'd swear I heard a sweeesh like when you light a match.
    There was no blue/green to it at all.

• Advertisement

I missed the first pass, but saw the midnight one, it was very bright again.

Some 2 minutes before it I also saw a beautiful black-orange-yellow fireball going West to East too, but a good bit lower, 45/50 degrees or so.
    That's me from near the Knockmealdowns looking directly South to Dungarvan/Ring area.

It looked a lot bigger than other fireballs I've seen, and I'm probably just imagining it, but I'd swear I heard a sweeesh like when you light a match.
    There was no blue/green to it at all.
    Were any illegal substances involved and if so, can i come next time??!

Tonight 2307-2313. clear skies once again :)

shedweller wrote: »
    Were any illegal substances involved and if so, can i come next time??!

Tut tut... no illegal substances, and no alcohol involved. I am weery good. :p

Can one see the shape of the ISS with a telescope ?

I have one of these cheap Lidl or Aldi ones, it'd be very hard to catch it, but since I know the path so well, I've a mind to try.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Just watched it overhead. Very bright!

Can one see the shape of the ISS with a telescope ?

I have one of these cheap Lidl or Aldi ones, it'd be very hard to catch it, but since I know the path so well, I've a mind to try.
    Oh yes! I've been grinning like a loon this past few nights. I just turn off the brakes on both axes of the mount and manually guide the telescope. I start by getting it in the finderscope and establish the direction. Then i move the crosshairs ahead of the iss by enough distance for me to get to the eyepiece. Then i have to mentally keep on top of things while i pan the telescope along. I practice on planes now and then which is a good excuse to get the scope out during the day!
    I use a bresser r102 with eyepieces ranging from 32mm to 15mm. I cant keep the iss in view any higher. The last passes we had i was able to make out some of the brown colour of the solar panels and their connecting structures. Not this time around though, which is weird. But i definitely could see the general shape of the station and also i could see it both getting bigger as it closed in and the panels getting narrower as they turned overhead. Then getting bigger again as it went west and i looked more face on to the panels. It was funny last night when it was going low in the west and my iss app was saying it was over central/western europe!
    Very much worth pursuing!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Very bright. Cool to think it's over Italy by the time it disappears from view. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Drat !!! Missed it. What time tomorrow night?

Drat !!! Missed it. What time tomorrow night?
    23:50

Thanks for the very thorough reply Shedweller, think I'll dust off the telescope for tomorrow night !
    I only used it once or twice, so it's complete arm-chancing but sure, maybe if I go out early enough and handle it a bit I'll manage a look.
    Drove up the mountain (I'm kind of "on" the mountain a bit so that's 5 minutes away) in a hurry at the last minute to take pics tonight. I wanted a nice setting so it is up in the Knockmealdowns, looking towards the Galtees and the Vee to the West.
    It is still so bright up there though, that I think the ISS didn't register on my first shots with Jupiter and Venus. It was well visible to me though.

• Advertisement

Sounds extremely scenic. Much jealous!

It is. Much beauty. So scenery. :P

Anyway, no photographic glory tonight for me, I should have left earlier and prepared/thought about what I was doing better.

So, this is the view West/North West.
    The ISS is actually in it, but you'd want to be looking at the larger size on my Flickr to see it I'd say, and it's only a faint line even then. It is in the clouds right in the middle at that stage, to the upper left of Jupiter, and beside that little star in the clouds.
    18661618656_673cbb77a3_c.jpgiss-1-2 by Anne L., on Flickr

It is more visible on this one, which is this time facing South East (pretty much East). The mountains are the Comeraghs.
    18065271124_6436f613fc_c.jpgiss-1 by Anne L., on Flickr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Hoof_Hearted

Boldly going into space for 1,000 days presents a series of health risks
    Russian cosmonaut Gennady Padalka, the commander of the current crew on board the International Space Station, has broken the record for the longest time spent in space with 803 days. Padalka, who is to return to Earth in September, has previously said he would like to try for 1,000 days on a future mission.

Is resupply docking due soon or something ? Somebody is giving directions/rehearsing procedures on ISS live stream.

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/iss_ustream.html#.VZacFPlVikr

Yeah, I think that's what it is. They're talking about when it'll be in range (10 km) etc...

For the fourth time, the ISS crew had to prepare for possible collision with space debris.

3 more astronauts going up the 22nd. I hadn't been paying much attention but I thought their was a full house up their already. Anyway.

http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-iss-space-station-space-junk-20150716-story.html

ISS back in the skies above Ireland for from the early hours of Sunday morning @ 0425-0430, Monday 0333-0336,tuesday 0413-0419, thursday 0401-0407,friday 0309-0313 and 0443-0449. they are some of the brighter passes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Very clear view of the ISS to the Southwest just now. Couldn't get a photo unfortunately.

Advertisement