Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISS Back Tonight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Hoof_Hearted

Bright pass from the ISS coming up now 2153-2200

Thanks. That was a sight to behold, wonderful!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Thanks. That was a sight to behold, wonderful!

Completely agree with you there Hoof Hearted, one of the best passes I can recall. To my eyes it appeared to actually get brighter the further east it travelled.

Another good pass tonight starting at 10:37pm and peaking at 10:40pm the complete pass should be in or around 5 minutes in total.

Lets hope the clouds "play ball with us again tonight" :)

The second pass last night was a little less bright but it meant I caught the spectacular sky. The milky way had such depth, almost felt I could climb into it, what a sight! I caught a really bright meteorite too, it was stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A nice bright pass coming up at 2237-2242

• Registered Users Posts: 30,211 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Nice clear night for it in south of the country, looked good

midnight edit: was hoping it would stay clear but clouded over now

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

I caught a really bright meteorite too, it was stunning.

Not being picky but it's a meteor when it's in the sky, only if it hits the ground is it a meteorite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Not being picky but it's a meteor when it's in the sky, only if it hits the ground is it a meteorite.

How do you know he didn't catch it in his hand?

Because only one person in the history of the world has ever provably been struck by a meteorite -

http://firsttoknow.com/true-story-ann-hodges-historys-meteorite-victim/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

There was a skydiver nearly hit by one a year or two ago. His mate had a helmet cam and it saw a flat black stone fall past him. I think he was oblivious to it until after. Very unusual thing to happen. If you caught it in the air would it still be a meteor?
    Haha! Then never let it touch the ground= all the money!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭emo72

Went out to watch the 2150 ISS flyover last night and caught a huge iridium flare 5 minutes earlier. At first when I looked up I thought what the hell is the ISS doing over there?

• Advertisement

shedweller wrote: »
    There was a skydiver nearly hit by one a year or two ago. His mate had a helmet cam and it saw a flat black stone fall past him. I think he was oblivious to it until after. Very unusual thing to happen. If you caught it in the air would it still be a meteor?
    Haha! Then never let it touch the ground= all the money!!

Later proven to have been a stone that got mixed up in his parachute -

http://www.metafilter.com/137974/Skydiver-meets-meteorite

http://www.planetary.org/blogs/guest-blogs/2014/0419-forensic-ballistics.html

Well I never knew that! I love learning something new :)

:D
    Not being picky myself but I'm a she - still don't want the hand burned off me:)

Tonights pass is at 2227-2232, alot of clear skies about,should be some nice views of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Tonights pass is at 2227-2232, alot of clear skies about,should be some nice views of it.

How will I know where to look?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

bilbot79 wrote: »
    How will I know where to look?

Get the ISS Detector app for a smartphone or tablet, it will remind you and point you in the right direction

bilbot79, it will approach from the west and end in the south east.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

Nice view of the iss from Dublin 15. About 4/5 mins after its passing I saw something else going about the same speed as the iss along roughly the same route but not as bright, any idea what it was?
    Edit: something else overhead now heading south to north?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

Good long pass. Whilst waiting we saw an Iridium Flare, first time ever. It appeared from about the same place the ISS did but about 2 minutes earlier.

Simply Red wrote: »
    Nice view of the iss from Dublin 15. About 4/5 mins after its passing I saw something else going about the same speed as the iss along roughly the same route but not as bright, any idea what it was?
    Edit: something else overhead now heading south to north?

Didn't see the ISS but 15 mins later saw a very bright object from west to south, not sure what it was at the mo

• Advertisement

First time I've ever went out and couldn't see it with a clear sky:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

I've seen it a few times over the past few nights, the first time by chance, moments after seeing another satellite. Even if you don't know it is coming, it is unmistakeable. So when I saw it, I knew what it was so I did a check for the other times it was coming over the past few nights. Lots of other satellites on view too. EnviSat is a good one to see. Try heavens-above.com or n2yo.com for details. There are lots of sites, but they are the two I use.

The ISS's track is more southerly from tonight and over the next few nights will become fainter before it disappears from Irish skies for a while. tonight 2310-2313. Friday 2217-2222, Saturday 2310-2306,Sunday 2207-2211

The ISS's track is more southerly from tonight and over the next few nights will become fainter before it disappears from Irish skies for a while. tonight 2310-2313. Friday 2217-2222, Saturday 2310-2306,Sunday 2207-2211

My alert says 21.35 for tonight, mind you I got no alert for yesterday so it might be a bit off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

My alert says 21.35 for tonight, mind you I got no alert for yesterday so it might be a bit off.

Ya 21:34 to 21:40 for me too. The one at 23:10 is less bright though it will be darker then...

Nice layer of cloud here in slane. Grr. Incoming in 5 mins!

Saw it for about 3 seconds through a gap in the clouds!

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭holly8

shedweller wrote: »
    Saw it for about 3 seconds through a gap in the clouds!

too cloudy here in the west

Alot of the trackers are making mistakes, missing passes and out with times.

• Advertisement

Advertisement