Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISS Back Tonight

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

http://time.com/4094719/space-station-fifteen-years/

15 years of people on the station

The Real Story of The Secret Space Station
    At the height of the Cold War and the Space Race, the Pentagon began a risky plan to put spies in orbit. The details of that program are only just coming out now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Nah, that was something different. Much smaller.
    And before that there was Dynasoar which could have taken spy modules.
    http://www.astronautix.com/craft/dynasoar.htm
    It was replaced by the Manned Orbiting Laboratory (MOL), equipped with a Gemini capsule, also launched by a Titan 3 booster. McNamara killed a project in being, with drawing release nearly 100% complete, and the first spacecraft one month away from final assembly. Expenditures were under control and Boeing had already spent $ 253.5 million of its $ 530 million development budget. Captive-carry flights would have begun within the year. In its place was a vague concept not even studied in any detail yet. ...

If Dyna-Soar and the Space Launching System had been completed, the United States would have had by 1965 a modern modular launch vehicle launching a reusable manned spaceplane ... The nation could have been spared the false premise of the shuttle program and had a space station ferry in being by the beginning of the 1970's. It might even have been flying well into the 21st Century, while the Gemini, Apollo, and Shuttle were consigned to the trash heaps of history.

Anyway Space Station Timeline
    90be680cc7432b84f118a7575deba93a.png

• Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

ISS back in Irish skies this week, some of the brighter passes.....Wednesday 1740-1744,Thursday 1822-1826, Friday 1730-1735. the week after next will have some nice bright passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

We might be able to spot the Cygnus resupply ship chasing the ISS tonight during it's pass at around 6.30pm. Weather looks like it'll be clear so if we can't see Cygnus, at least we'll be able to spot the ISS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

how about the rocket with the new astronaut trevor peake will that be visible??

fryup wrote: »
    how about the rocket with the new astronaut trevor peake will that be visible??

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0327fp0

Horizon Tim Peake Special: How to be an Astronaut

Any 1 watch that?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,281 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0327fp0

Horizon Tim Peake Special: How to be an Astronaut

Any 1 watch that?

Meant too, but then forgot

see it on youtube here

Stargazing Live Special on BBC2 at 7pm about Time Peakes - includes his arrival at the ISS.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭postitnote

Stargazing Live Special also on BBC 1 this morning from 1030 showing the launch.

• Advertisement

14 min live countdown, the interest/excitement in space is really making a comeback.

Talking about the rescue pod now in case she blows....touchwood.

2 mins, hadfield is great.

Cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭space2ground1

Great coverage from the BBC. Just after catching up on it after a busy day doing Christmas related stuff away from the classroom with the class I teach.

Ive managed to get my hands on the first part of the stargazing coverage related to the launch to show in the class tomorrow. If anyone finds the second part of the show on the docking & hatch opening on youtube or anywhere else I can show the class I'd be grateful!

Great coverage from the BBC. Just after catching up on it after a busy day doing Christmas related stuff away from the classroom with the class I teach.

Ive managed to get my hands on the first part of the stargazing coverage related to the launch to show in the class tomorrow. If anyone finds the second part of the show on the docking & hatch opening on youtube or anywhere else I can show the class I'd be grateful!

PM'ed ya there.

Big long bright pass at 6.08

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Christmas eve 5:20 , show the younglings Santa heading out

big full moon for Christmas day aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

I got a good look at Santa before he went into cloud. I had the young relations warned to be on the lookout so hopefully they saw him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

Saw him, eldest of 3 girls claimed she could see some red which of course meant that Rudolph was to the fore.

My wife said afterwards that she saw a red glow too !!

Very lucky with the clearish sky at the time which allowed us approx 1 min of viewing before the sleigh disappeared into the clouds.

Thanks, Capt'n and Happy Christmas :):)

Some morning passes this week, brightest ones as follows.... Monday 0733-0737, Tuesday 0815-0821, Wednesday 0722-0727,Thursday 0629-0634, Friday 0711-0717

nice pass in the morning for those on the way to work....0805-0810

Some more morning passes this week, Tuesday 0653-0657, Wednesday 0734-0740, Thursday 0643-0647, Friday 0724-0729

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Hoof_Hearted

I caught this morning's by chance, a lovely long bright pass - and two meteors for good measure! Is that Venus in the SE in the mornings?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Yep it's Venus, and Saturn is close by to the right.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

just came across this on Reddit, ISS TRANSIT FINDER, enter location and distance willing to travel, and it shows near passes and transits of the moon for ISS

http://transit-finder.com/

Tender/contracts for resuppling the ISS up till 2024 (starting 2019) were announced during the WK annnnnnnd we've got the Shuttle back in action

Sierra Nevada Corp have won (aswell as spacex and orbital ATK) difference between these guys though is theirs is a winged/land on a runway/can carry a passenger bird, NASA hoping to put an extra Astronaut up on ISS. It can also deliver the propellant needed to by the ISS to change Orbit, I think only the Russians get cart that stuff up at the minute.

http://www.spaceflightinsider.com/missions/iss/nasa-announces-winners-of-crs-2-contract/
    http://www.rgj.com/story/news/2016/01/14/report-major-nasa-contract-could-benefit-sierra-nevada-corp/78803042/

• Advertisement

What happens if he hits it a wallop??? Will it go everywhere?

Advertisement