Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISS Back Tonight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Hoof_Hearted

That was something else. Not to take away from the moon, that's something else as well tonight. Great clear skies here too.

Does it look like a bright star moving fast across the sky? The light being non-flashing?

That's it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭ireland.man

Amazing! Very happy I checked up this thread earlier, cheers everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Last_Minute

That's it!

Great! I went outside and i thought it was either the ISS or a plane until i noticed an actual aircraft with flashing lights. Fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

just bought these in the post iss glow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

Times for the next few nights:

Sat: 23:09 - 23:14
    Sun: 00:46 - 00:47
    22:20 - 22:27
    23:57 - 00:00
    Mon: 23:08 - 23:12
    Tue: 00:44 - 00:45
    22:19 - 22:25
    23:55 - 23:58

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ankaragucu

I have the exact same ones Geo, very happy with them.

Times for the next few nights:

Sat: 23:09 - 23:14
    Sun: 00:46 - 00:47
    22:20 - 22:27
    23:57 - 00:00
    Mon: 23:08 - 23:12
    Tue: 00:44 - 00:45
    22:19 - 22:25
    23:55 - 23:58

Cheers! The hammock is definitely going up tomorrow for a sleep out so!

irishgeo wrote: »
    just bought these in the post iss glow.

Is it possible to see actual detail or the shape of the ISS with any binoculars?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Is it possible to see actual detail or the shape of the ISS with any binoculars?

You'd want to be lying on your back pointing east-west and have a steady hand I'd imagine. I tried it before standing up and couldn't get it.

• Advertisement

Karl Stein wrote: »
    You'd want to be lying on your back pointing east-west and have a steady hand I'd imagine. I tried it before standing up and couldn't get it.

But it is possible which is great to know, I'll see about getting a pair. I've been using 10x50 binoculars and they're great but of course offer nothing else as regards the ISS.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

It was a great night for it and was great seeing it float on by.

Took a few bad images, but glad I at least caught it going on by.

Frvd6hp.jpg

i didnt get them just for that, i been meaning to get a pair for star gazing anyway. i got one of the best dark sky areas in europe on my doorstep. achill island with a view over the Atlantic and zero light pollution.

so ill be using them for that. plus they will be good for plane spotting and boat spotting as well. using marinetraffic and flightradar as a guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Chris Hadfield (the legend that he is!) posted this on Facebook. It's taken from the ISS last night and you can see what exactly the resupply module looks like!

10368831_847211341963271_7364581996267631923_o.jpg

will the resupply module have docked by our only pass tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

www.heavens-above.com

Great website - put in your location and it gives you predicted times for passes as well as magnitude. It has ISS and ATV times in there too.

smartphone apps also available!

Just worth noting that there's a couple of minutes either side depending on where you are in the country, not many, but maybe enough to miss it, so double check times for your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

will the resupply module have docked by our only pass tonight.
    Looks like it will be seen separately this evening too.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ankaragucu

Cloudy tonight.............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

Haven't seen the ISS for a long time (a few months ago but anyway I'm impatient :D) it's always cloudy down here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Thundery showers continuing in the midlands and Ulster for the rest of this evening. Heavy rain in Munster will extend into Leinster and east Ulster early tonight and continue overnight with localised flooding. Drier to the west and northwest. Lowest temperatures of 8 to 11 degrees. :(

• Advertisement

Thundery showers continuing in the midlands and Ulster for the rest of this evening. Heavy rain in Munster will extend into Leinster and east Ulster early tonight and continue overnight with localised flooding. Drier to the west and northwest. Lowest temperatures of 8 to 11 degrees. :(
    Clear skies in achill. Should be a good viewing.

Clear skies in achill. Should be a good viewing.

I'd love those skies over in achill, I'd say it's something else viewing the sky with no light pollution there. I live 1 mile from Dublin airport and the light pollution is very bad so the only thing giving me a viewable sky is the night-vision scope.

I think I might move down the country in the middle of nowhere in a few years just for the clear sky.

I'd love those skies over in achill, I'd say it's something else viewing the sky with no light pollution there. I live 1 mile from Dublin airport and the light pollution is very bad so the only thing giving me a viewable sky is the night-vision scope.

I think I might move down the country in the middle of nowhere in a few years just for the clear sky.

Its amazing on afrosy night with no moon. Can't wait to get my binos. Then I'll get a scope.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Delightfully Bright

There were 2 bright spots moving across the sky from west to east tonight. One was the ISS so I presume the other was its supply ship. They were a few minutes apart however so I'm wondering had they already docked and undocked?

Wonderful viewing. A full 5 mins from west to east. Even the moon went behind a cloud. Really need to get my SLR camera out. I didn't see the supply ship but it was very bright so maybe it was just in front of or behind the ISS.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

Too cloudy to see anything out my way tonight. :(

Raining here at Dublin airport so a no-show tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

Also too cloudy here. :(
    There were 2 bright spots moving across the sky from west to east tonight. One was the ISS so I presume the other was its supply ship. They were a few minutes apart however so I'm wondering had they already docked and undocked?

Quite likely. You can see where the ATV is relative to the ISS here.

The supply ship isn't due to dock with the ISS until the 12th August. After that, it will stay docked for anywhere up to 6 months. It will be used for storing waste material before being released to fall back to Earth where it will burn up in the atmosphere.

Interestingly, the ATV is equipped with some high-tech cameras to record it's disintegration as it descends (linky).

Cloudy and wet here last night. It must be wonderful in Achill irishgeo. Greedygoblin thanks for those links and info, more excitement when it undocks in 6 months! Fingers crossed for a clear sky here tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

so whats on the agenda tonight??

iss, full moon, shooting stars, satellites ??

Advertisement