Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISS Back Tonight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

My first time ever seeing the ISS. I'm in awe. That was so cool! :eek:

Thanks for answering my question without me needing to ask it, was just about to come inside when I seen the second object (ATV5) trailing behind the ISS, was googling to try find out but to no avail! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

I thought I was going to miss it due to the clouds and rain, but I was lucky. I remeber the days when the space shuttle used to fly past. I always made a point of watching it fly over.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

I thought I was going to miss it due to the clouds and rain, but I was lucky. I remeber the days when the space shuttle used to fly past. I always made a point of watching it fly over.
    Reminded me of Hale-Bopp the comet. Just looked it up and it was back in 1997. It was visible for so long that the novelty nearly wore off!

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ankaragucu

Might get a little window of darkness tomorrow night for meteor viewing before the moon comes into play with its glare.
    Think the weather forecast is similar to tonight??Just come back inside, bits of cloud crossing the sky over Dublin now.Lovely viewing of everything earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

It's a bit windy out tonight. Here's a long video shot of the big moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Cork

Tue Aug 12, 00:45 AM < 1 min max height - 13° appears - 11 above W disappears - 13 above W

Tue Aug 12, 10:19 PM 6 min max height- 85° appears - 12 above W disappears- 14 above E

Tue Aug 12, 11:55 PM 2 min max height - 34° appears - 10 above W disappears - 34 above WSW

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

so will the atv rendezvous with the iss tonight??

It's already happened, this morning over Khazakstan.
    If you sub to the ESA channel on youtube, you get all the updates and the story on Rosetta

fryup wrote: »
    so will the atv rendezvous with the iss tonight??

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2014/08/europes-atv-5-final-iss-arrival/

• Advertisement

so..will the iss be bigger/brighter tonight?

fryup wrote: »
    so..will the iss be bigger/brighter tonight?

I'm not 100 percent sure.
    Found this : Being much larger with lots of highly reflective solar panels, the ISS is naturally much brighter than ATV-5. Their brightnesses vary depending on the pass, but if the ISS resembles Jupiter or Venus, the cargo ship is more like an average bright star.

We won't see it in the South of the country or anywhere in Ireland tonight will we?

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    We won't see it in the South of the country or anywhere in Ireland tonight will we?

August 12th: See ISS at 10:23pm high in South and at 11:58pm low in West.

See my previous post for more details .

Meteors peak tonight too.

Best pass yet . Visible for 4 mins . Could see atv partially too .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

Great view over dublin 15, just as the iss was overhead, i saw 2 maybe 3 fainter objects travelling perpendicular to the iss, what were they?

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Best pass yet . Visible for 4 mins . Could see atv partially too .

Too damn Cloudy in Wexford :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Simply Red wrote: »
    Great view over dublin 15, just as the iss was overhead, i saw 2 maybe 3 fainter objects travelling perpendicular to the iss, what were they?

More satellites I'd say, saw a few too

too damn cloudy in east clare

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

Cloudy in Louth too but I did see it briefly before it was obscured.

• Advertisement

August 12th: See ISS at 10:23pm high in South and at 11:58pm low in West.

See my previous post for more details .

Meteors peak tonight too.

Which part of the sky will be better to see these meteors ? Is it east ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Was clear enough in Dublin, with some clouds arriving here and there.

Caught a meter in the shot as well.

SvAtSEi.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭leck

I'm new at this ISS sighting. I think I saw it last night. Saw something very bright move across the sky from West to South.

Went out too late tonight and missed the opportunity to see it at 10:19PM. It was quite cloudy anyway. I'm trying to make sense of the Tracker site. I'm in Mayo so set Westport as my location on http://spotthestation.nasa.gov. For tonight this shows:
    Date ............................. Visible ... Max Height......Appears.........Disappears
    Tue Aug 12, 10:19 PM ....... 6 min ........ 59°........10 above W......11 above ESE
    Tue Aug 12, 11:56 PM ....... 2 min ........ 31°........11 above W.......1 above SW

But if I put the 10:19PM time into the ISS Tracker at http://www.isstracker.com/historical, entering the time as "2014-08-12 22:19:00" then the tracker shows the ISS over eastern part of Africa. And six minutes later at "2014-08-12 22:25:00" it's closer to Nigeria. Is the tracker not accurate or am I using it incorrectly?

leck wrote: »
    I'm new at this ISS sighting. I think I saw it last night. Saw something very bright move across the sky from West to South.

Went out too late tonight and missed the opportunity to see it at 10:19PM. It was quite cloudy anyway. I'm trying to make sense of the Tracker site. I'm in Mayo so set Westport as my location on http://spotthestation.nasa.gov. For tonight this shows:

But if I put the 10:19PM time into the ISS Tracker at http://www.isstracker.com/historical, entering the time as "2014-08-12 22:19:00" then the tracker shows the ISS over eastern part of Africa. And six minutes later at "2014-08-12 22:25:00" it's closer to Nigeria. Is the tracker not accurate or am I using it incorrectly?

It wasn't 10:19 for me . It only came observable from 10.23/24.

Tonight it moved east to west .
    Lastnight it was west to south east . So Id say it was more than likely the iss you saw .

I'm not sure about the tracker . This site is usually spot on too.
    http://www.astronomy.ie/iss.php

it was 10'19 0n the dot here in West Cork. And as a bonus there was a meteor moments before. I filmed it with my phone but the quality is poor. I was a little worried as it was still quite light but it was great. I felt like waving.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭leck

It wasn't 10:19 for me . It only came observable from 10.23/24.

Tonight it moved east to west .
    Lastnight it was west to south east . So Id say it was more than likely the iss you saw .

I'm not sure about the tracker . This site is usually spot on too.
    http://www.astronomy.ie/iss.php
    I saw it a few minutes ago, just before midnight. It was high in the sky and was able to follow it for about a minute before it disappeared into the clouds again.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Nice and clear in Drogheda for the 23:55 pass. I only grabbed the camera as an afterthought, so didn't have time to get the focus spot on.

318191.jpg

Looks like a satellite but was moving very fast @ 23:12 last night. Moving from south to north north west. Anyone know what it was at this time ?. Maybe it was just a satellite, but it was moving much faster than normal with this one.

Wed Aug 13, 9:31 PM 5 min max height 86° appears 27 above W disappears 12 above E

Wed Aug 13, 11:06 PM 4 min max height 55° appears 10 above W disappears 43 above SSE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Hoof_Hearted

Looks like a satellite but was moving very fast @ 23:12 last night. Moving from south to north north west. Anyone know what it was at this time ?. Maybe it was just a satellite, but it was moving much faster than normal with this one.

That's extraordinary, it's going like the clappers! They aren't usually that fast so I'm hoping someone will know the answer - I'm intrigued. Thanks for the vid.

Advertisement