Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISS Back Tonight

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

Looks like a satellite but was moving very fast @ 23:12 last night. Moving from south to north north west. Anyone know what it was at this time ?. Maybe it was just a satellite, but it was moving much faster than normal with this one.

That's extraordinary, it's going like the clappers! They aren't usually that fast so I'm hoping someone will know the answer - I'm intrigued. Thanks for the vid.
    I see that particular satelite most nights when I'm out. It's regular as clockwork. I tend to take my dogs out to a path along a river many nights, just to gaze at the stars and try to identify constellations and planets. This spot has less light pollution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Cloudy again in Dublin, with some odd gaps. It's almost impossible to get one clear night here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,201 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Likewise in Castlebar. overcast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭Hoof_Hearted

Same here in Newcastle, broken cloud, but I'm holding out for the second pass, and staying up til after midnight to catch a meteor - it's meteors or bust!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Saw the 9:31 pass. It was too overcast to see it disappear to the east .
    Also since it was too bright to see the stars I could see the satellites for the first time .

• Advertisement

Same here in Newcastle, broken cloud, but I'm holding out for the second pass, and staying up til after midnight to catch a meteor - it's meteors or bust!

I will also be out for second pass.

Why didn't you go looking for meteors last night :P

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    I will also be out for second pass.

Why didn't you go looking for meteors last night :P

I've a creaky neck and a wet backside looking for meteorites, I just can't seem to catch one, I'm on a mission tonight though. Ah no, it's raining now...

I've a creaky neck and a wet backside looking for meteorites, I just can't seem to catch one, I'm on a mission tonight though. Ah no, it's raining now...

I never saw a shooting star in my life .
    I saw several last night .
    That's just the way things work .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

I never saw a shooting star in my life .
    I saw several last night .
    That's just the way things work .

Wow really you never seen one ever before? It's crazy how many people never seen them before :eek:

I caught this meteor last night. I put it into 4 frames after the short video to view it better...

• Advertisement

Thanks for that Bongalongherb at least I've seen one now. Lovely dark sky in the vid. I'm not complaining though, I can't believe the show we've been having the last few nights, it's amazing stuff. I love it!

Waiting for second pass now.

Edit : not visible here. Couldn't see a single star either .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Ive looked at the Web links but can anyone break it down for me when is the best time to see the ISS on Friday night and which direction to look? Tia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Waiting for second pass now.

Edit : not visible here. Couldn't see a single star either .

What time is the second pass?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

Saw both passes tonight and a bonus meteor on the second pass in my peripheral vision.

Was able to point ISS out to a few family members who hadn't seen it before. :)

vicwatson wrote: »
    Ive looked at the Web links but can anyone break it down for me when is the best time to see the ISS on Friday night and which direction to look? Tia

No problem .
    There will be two passes on Friday .
    The first of which will be at 9.31 pm.
    It should be easy to spot as most stars should not be visible to the naked eye yet .
    You want to look west at first . You can't miss it as it will be the brightest man made object in the sky . It will move in an east / south easterly direction across the sky .

Second pass at 11.06.
    It should be darker out . It will appear from the west again.

Thu Aug 14, 10:19 PM 5 min max height 69° appears -18 above W disappears -17 above ESE

Thu Aug 14, 11:55 PM 1 min max height - 19° appears - 11 above W disappears -19 above WSW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

Hopefully see it tonight

Not looking good again tonight, fully cloudy at the moment in Dublin.

Look's like the very south west will get a reasonably clear night.

WEB_sat_ir_irl.jpg

South east looking bad too :( I couldn't see the second pass yesterday either unfortunately .

Edit : pass not visible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

Great view from West Cork. I waved this time, my neighbours must think I'm nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭prodsc

Just saw it on its own on the Sligo skyline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Just had excellent view of it nearly for its full transit + bonus of small meteor trail :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Every parking spot at the International Space Station is currently occupied
    ATV-5 is notable as the European Space Agency’s last resupply mission to the ISS. The ATV, or Automated Transfer Vehicle, is a beastly spacecraft with a payload of up to 7,700 kilos (17,000 lbs) — about twice that of any other resupply spacecraft. It too lacks the ability to return to Earth, instead burning up in the atmosphere.

nasa-iss-fully-berthed-640x360.jpg

^^^^

They stuck a Camera on the ATV to film it burnup on reentry.

This Disposable Space Camera Will Record Its Own Destruction on Re-Entry

ATV Docking Pic

Bu7hS2ZCEAADJ8H.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭irishgeo

my binos have arrived, i cant wait to try them out.

• Subscribers Posts: 693 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

ISS_Small.jpg

From Last night taken at 22.21. I was hoping for clearer skies.. this is as good as I could get from behind the clouds.
    Had to process the image in attempt to bring it out from behind the cloud a little, hence quite a bit of noise in the photo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

whats the story tonight??

fryup wrote: »
    whats the story tonight??

The story for tonight is more cloud :mad:

Fri Aug 15, 9:31 PM 5 min 57° 22 above W 11 above ESE

Fri Aug 15, 11:06 PM 3 min 24° 11 above W 24 above SSW

MET eireann are saying... Mainly dry for the evening with clear spells.

I would love to know where these clear spells are, because like last night, it was complete cloud cover.
    Tonight

Many places dry for tonight too with clear spells persisting in the south and east, but becoming mostly cloudy overnight through western and northern areas with a little showery rain developing in coastal areas. Lowest temperatures of 8 to 11 degrees.

• Advertisement

I see what you did wrong there^^^

Met eireann.

Been years since i listened yo them.

Download an app or something, anything and never utter their name again.

Advertisement